Evaluation for OS replacement by a third party product...

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009
      James Dempsey brought up a while back, and just today Eric Smith
      reminded me, that our current OS situation warrants looking to outside
      products that can be integrated with PCGen. Our lack of OS Monkeys has
      been an ongoing problem for a few years and we need to get some TLC to
      the OS's.

      The two foremost contenders James brought up are:

      Velocity by Apache
      http://velocity.apache.org/tools/devel/

      and FreeMarker
      http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/index.html

      Just based on ease of use, and the ability to find anything remotely
      helpful to read, I'd vote for FreeMarker. It's feature list suggests a
      more complete package, whereas the velocity requires more workarounds.
      Both are likely the same hassle to a novice like myself. But what do our
      current Code Monkeys think?

      Anyways, I would like to know what our general plan for the OS is. I've
      been tinkering with the current OSs trying to bring them up to our
      newest editions, like the htm version doesn't show descriptions like the
      feats do... But if we have plans to change the way we are implementing
      OS, then I'd rather not spend my time messing with our current OS if we
      have bigger, better or more efficient ways to do it.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009
        --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
        > [Velocity vs. FreeMarker]
        > But what do our current Code Monkeys think?

        I would like to see demonstrable facts to distinguish the two, both from each other and from our current system. I am hesitant to support any transition without that due diligence.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009

          2009/7/17 Tom Parker <thpr@...>:
          > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
          >> [Velocity vs. FreeMarker]
          >> But what do our current Code Monkeys think?
          >
          > I would like to see demonstrable facts to distinguish the two, both from each other and from our current system.  I am hesitant to support any transition without that due diligence.

          I've had a look at both in the past and have used velocity for a few
          different work projects. What we gain over our current OS tokens is a
          sane processing structure - FOR loops etc and the opportunity to take
          out some nasty code from our code base once the transition is
          completed. It would be a big transition though, so not to be taken
          lightly.

          As for freemarker vs velocity, both are widely used, probably more use
          velocity, but freemarker gives the better feature set for our rather
          complex problem domain.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2009

            James Dempsey wrote:
            Hi,

            2009/7/17 Tom Parker <thpr@...>:

[...]

            Based on that nice assessment, I'd rather go with FreeMarker. I'd rather not be digging for patches when the other tool comes with it already. :)

            Any other coders want to chime in?