Re: [pcgen_developers] Re: Pathfinder RPG and changes to Intelligence

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2010
      Yes and no.  Yes, that's how the headbands work. however a tome of clear thought also
      grants a permanent INT boost and you can raise your intelligence with the +1 to any
      stat every 4 levels.  Both of those and any other source of permanent intelligenge
      boost retroactively increases your skill points as per the section on page 555.
      This is not the way 3.5 handled things.

      andrew

      On 7 March 2010 02:51, Ainvar G <ainvarg@...> wrote:
      Also, as noted in another thread, there are at least a couple of magic items that specifically state that after they've been worn for 24 hours, they grant skill points.  Re-reading the description, it could be inferred that it only grants those points in pre-determined skills, so that could be handled as a bonus to ranks in that skills, I supposed.

      I guess this might not be pertinent, after all...

         From: Stefan Radermacher
      1b. Re: Pathfinder RPG and changes to Intelligence
         From: Eddy Anthony
      1c. Re: Pathfinder RPG and changes to Intelligence
         From: Stefan Radermacher

      Messages
      1a. Pathfinder RPG and changes to Intelligence
         Posted by: "Stefan Radermacher" radermacher@... zaister
         Date: Fri Mar 5, 2010 6:01 am ((PST))

      In Pathfinder - opposed to 35e - a change in Intelligence retraoactively
      affects skill points:

      "Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day
      actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills
      and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill
      points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted
      separately in case they are removed."

      Currently our dataset does not acknowledge that. Do we have a LST-based method
      of changing that, or will it require code work?

      By the way: while investigating this, i found the tag BONUS:MODSKILLPOINTS
      used in the definition of the Intelligence ability in the game mode. This tag
      seems to be undocumented.

      Regards,
      Stgefan.

      Messages in this topic (3)
      1b. Re: Pathfinder RPG and changes to Intelligence
         Posted by: "Eddy Anthony" eddyba@... mosat22
         Date: Fri Mar 5, 2010 8:04 am ((PST))

      Stefan Radermacher wrote:
      > In Pathfinder - opposed to 35e - a change in Intelligence retraoactively
      > affects skill points:
      >
      > "Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day
      > actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills
      > and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill
      > points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted
      > separately in case they are removed."
      >
      > Currently our dataset does not acknowledge that. Do we have a LST-based method
      > of changing that, or will it require code work?
      >
      > By the way: while investigating this, i found the tag BONUS:MODSKILLPOINTS
      > used in the definition of the Intelligence ability in the game mode. This tag
      > seems to be undocumented.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Stgefan.

      I don't think there is a way to easily implement this in the data, it's
      going to need code work.

      One thing we will need is a gameMode tag to set the behavior for the
      particular game, so the default behavior without the tag present would
      be no retroactive skill points and with the tag there would be. We may
      also need to develop a method to bonus INT which would NOT bump the
      skill points since as the text points out that applies only to permanent
      bonuses.

      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp

      Messages in this topic (3)
         Date: Fri Mar 5, 2010 8:31 am ((PST))

      On Friday 05 March 2010 16:56:19 Eddy wrote:
      > I don't think there is a way to easily implement this in the data, it's
      > going to need code work.

      Yeah, that was my impression, too. But you never know...

      > One thing we will need is a gameMode tag to set the behavior for the
      > particular game, so the default behavior without the tag present would
      > be no retroactive skill points and with the tag there would be. We may
      > also need to develop a method to bonus INT which would NOT bump the
      > skill points since as the text points out that applies only to permanent
      > bonuses.

      Temporary bonuses do not actually increase the relevant attribute until they
      become permanent bonuses, so form the view of PCGen, this should not be a
      concern.

      I think the whole issue is most relevant to increases to intelligence via
      attribute increase when leveling up or by creating a creature with class
      levels (which changes five of its attributes).

      I was thinking of using a flag in the house rules list for that, and setting
      it via the game mode.

      Regards,
      Stefan.

      Messages in this topic (3)