Re: [pcgen_developers] SPELLPOINTCOST tag?

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
      On 2/10/2010 8:45 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
      > Tir Gwaith scribed:
      >

      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> I'm finally getting some time to knock out some Prettylst trackers;
      >> updating it for use with 6.0... I've come across a tracker for a tag
      >> that is apparently missing from any sort of documentation.
      >>
      >> Does this tag exist? If so, where is it used, and what is the syntax?
      >> We need to get this in the docs, and I need to know those to include
      >> in PL.
      >>
      >> SPELLPOINTCOST
      >>
      >> My PL tracker:
      >> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1946002&group_id=25576&atid=7
      >> 50093
      >>
      >> --
      >> Tir Gwaith
      >> PCGen LST Chimp
      >>
      > The tag does exist, we have two instances of it in our data:
      >
      > /pcgen/data/alpha/en_publishing/elements_of_magic_revised/eomr_spells.lst
      >
      > > From my understanding it was meant to support the spell system in this
      > source which is very different from the standard d20 system.
      >
      > Instead of whole spells casters learn lists which they can then combine into
      > custom spells, each part has a cost (which SPELLPOINTCOST is meant to track)
      > and if you had the points to cast the spell you could.
      >
      > Joe Frazier originally coded the set and I believe he also coded the tag, I
      > did the data review and got the set into the release.
      >
      > I'm not sure what the intent was with this tag, seems unnecessary since you
      > can create the spells on the fly at the table. There is also no way to
      > construct custom spells in this manor in the PCGen GUI, you'd need to edit
      > the text file to do it. To top it all off the tag doesn't really do anything
      > but hold a value, you can't do anything with it though, it doesn't display
      > in the GUI and I don't think it has an OS token (though I don't know how to
      > check for that).
      >
      > In short it seems an unfinished project, we should ping Joe about it. I
      > think we lost him to the MapTools project :-(

      We did lose him to Maptools and 4e.

      He actually had an OS sheet, one of which I have lying around here
      somewhere, where it showed the value of the spell, so it has some OS
      support.

      But yes, the rest of the project for the BONUS and such has gone into
      limbo at this point since Joe lost interest in Elements of Magic and got
      hooked into 4e. (He was coding what his group was playing, so when they
      shifted focus to 4e, that's when he abandoned the project).

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010

        If this is an incomplete tag then we should raise a doc freq to note that and then perhaps a code bug to remove it, does that sound reasonable?

        --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

        > On 2/10/2010 8:45 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
        > > Tir Gwaith scribed:
        > >

        > >> Hi,
        > >>
        > >> I'm finally getting some time to knock out some Prettylst trackers;
        > >> updating it for use with 6.0... I've come across a tracker for a tag
        > >> that is apparently missing from any sort of documentation.
        > >>
        > >> Does this tag exist? If so, where is it used, and what is the syntax?
        > >> We need to get this in the docs, and I need to know those to include
        > >> in PL.
        > >>
        > >> SPELLPOINTCOST
        > >>
        > >> My PL tracker:
        > >> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1946002&group_id=25576&atid=7
        > >> 50093
        > >>
        > >> --
        > >> Tir Gwaith
        > >> PCGen LST Chimp
        > >>
        > > The tag does exist, we have two instances of it in our data:
        > >
        > > /pcgen/data/alpha/en_publishing/elements_of_magic_revised/eomr_spells.lst
        > >
        > > > From my understanding it was meant to support the spell system in this
        > > source which is very different from the standard d20 system.
        > >
        > > Instead of whole spells casters learn lists which they can then combine into
        > > custom spells, each part has a cost (which SPELLPOINTCOST is meant to track)
        > > and if you had the points to cast the spell you could.
        > >
        > > Joe Frazier originally coded the set and I believe he also coded the tag, I
        > > did the data review and got the set into the release.
        > >
        > > I'm not sure what the intent was with this tag, seems unnecessary since you
        > > can create the spells on the fly at the table. There is also no way to
        > > construct custom spells in this manor in the PCGen GUI, you'd need to edit
        > > the text file to do it. To top it all off the tag doesn't really do anything
        > > but hold a value, you can't do anything with it though, it doesn't display
        > > in the GUI and I don't think it has an OS token (though I don't know how to
        > > check for that).
        > >
        > > In short it seems an unfinished project, we should ping Joe about it. I
        > > think we lost him to the MapTools project :-(
        > >

        > We did lose him to Maptools and 4e.
        >
        > He actually had an OS sheet, one of which I have lying around here
        > somewhere, where it showed the value of the spell, so it has some OS
        > support.
        >
        > But yes, the rest of the project for the BONUS and such has gone into
        > limbo at this point since Joe lost interest in Elements of Magic and got
        > hooked into 4e. (He was coding what his group was playing, so when they
        > shifted focus to 4e, that's when he abandoned the project).
        >
        > --
        >
        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
          On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > If this is an incomplete tag then we should raise a doc freq to note that and then perhaps a code bug to remove it, does that sound reasonable?

          Not an incomplete tag, since ppl have seen OS examples with it. We
          just need to (figure out how it works and) document it. I sent Joe an
          email requesting info.. :)

          --
          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen LST Chimp
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
            Hi Folks!

            There is a doc tracker for tis tag (1968269). There is some info in
            the tracker that I cobled together but its never been confirmed and I
            could never get anything from Joe on it. I have reassigned the tracker
            to myself and can add it to the docs if someone can confirm the
            behavior.

            Tracker: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1968269&group_id=25576&atid=748235

            Eric C. Smith
            Doc 2nd