Re: [pcgen_developers] Checking out a new copy of the subversion repository

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
      Hi Andrew,

      On 8/02/2010 4:57 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
      > Hi Andrew
      >
      > On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:23:56AM -0800, Andrew Maitland wrote:
      >
      >> I'm sure this won't make you feel better, but just a few days ago I
      >> walked some one through a new checkout and after a few false starts he
      >> was able to grab the entire trunk. The checkout path was the issue in
      >> our case. He was using the http path of the viewer instead of the
      >> proper svn path.
      >>
      >> I'd double check your settings, I can do massive checkouts without any
      >> issues on my end.
      >>

      > There really aren't any settings, the repositiory and tag and where to
      > put it are all you need. Restarting the thing after it stalled was the
      > only "reconfigurtion" it needed to eventually, and I do mean eventually
      > after many many hours and more resets than I could count, complete.
      >
      > The problem is definitely on their end.

      What's the command you are using, including the URL? Which SVN client
      are you using on the two machines?

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
        On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:28:36AM +1100, James Dempsey wrote:
        > On 8/02/2010 4:57 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
        >> There really aren't any settings, the repositiory and tag and where
        >> to put it are all you need. Restarting the thing after it stalled was
        >> the only "reconfiguration" it needed to eventually, and I do mean
        >> eventually after many many hours and more resets than I could count,
        >> complete.
        >>
        >> The problem is definitely on their end.
        >
        > What's the command you are using, including the URL? Which SVN client
        > are you using on the two machines?

        First thing I tried on Windows 7 was checking out the sources into a new
        project using IDEA. I copied and pasted the URL from SourceForge's site.
        IDEA showed me the Trunk, branches, tags and sandbox entries below the
        main URL, so I'm pretty confident it had the correct URL

        https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen

        I've just copied out of IDEA. It would start the checkout then
        SourceForge would throw its little hissy fit and there was no way I
        could see to tell it to carry on from the point it had reached.
        See later.

        I also tried updating my copy of the sources that I extracted using git,
        this also fails, but in a different way

        git svn fetch

        was the command. Note that several months ago, this had been working
        finer. I had a completely up to date copy of the sources in git, with a
        full history. It just doesn't update anymore.

        Tried that same command on the copy of the git repository on the linux
        box, no joy. Same failure as on windows

        > Andrew Wilson@ELROND /f/programming/pcgen-git (master)
        > $ git svn fetch
        > Index mismatch: da3af7c4cc9dc5e32c3f70c7e47d8aaa5e91edb6 != f3057735369d16e2f7c89b9017fe4ab8d6a29636
        > rereading 97a0d84b5830f541b8d76930e5bb51e7a94e30b2
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/BioSetFacet.java
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AbstractDataFacet.java
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AbstractListFacet.java
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/ActiveEqModFacet.java
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AlignmentFacet.java
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/CampaignFacet.java
        > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AbstractItemFacet.java
        > Incomplete data: Delta source ended unexpectedly at C:\Program Files (x86)\Git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 4618
        >

        > Andrew Wilson@ELROND /f/programming/pcgen-git (master)

        That's a capture from the "Git Bash Here" right click option in explorer.

        I updated the svn repository on the linux box (which I hadn't lost, but
        don't really use for development, it's just accessible from places where
        my desktop isn't)

        svn update

        This stalled at least once, but did complete eventually.

        I then installed TortoiseSVN on the windows machine and used it to check
        out a copy of the sandbox and a copy of the trunk

        https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk

        is the URL that's coming up when I ask it to do a new checkout. I used
        the vestiges of the sandbox checkout started by IDEA and finished it with
        TortoiseSVN. More confirmation that the URL was correct.

        The trunk checkout I started from scratch with TortoiseSVN, it took a
        long long time and lots of restarts to eventually check out the trunk.

        I raised the following ticket with SourceForge earlier this evening:

        > #8550: Problems checking out from subversion
        > -------------------+---------------------------------------------
        > Reporter: nuance | Status: new
        > Hi
        >
        > I'm a developer on the PCGen project. I tried checking out a
        > copy of our sources. It repeatedly stalled with the error:
        >
        > Cannot checkout from svn: svn: bad record MAC
        > svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/pcgen/!svn/vcc/default'
        >
        > I tried checking out in both windows 7 and linux, using both a
        > local machine and a machine hosted on a different continent.
        >
        > Eventually after nursemaiding the thing for hours and restarting
        > it when it stalled I got the thing checked out.
        >
        > --
        > Ticket URL:
        > <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/8550>
        > sourceforge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourceforge/>
        > SF-project sourceforge

        I have not yet had a reply from the SourceForge staff, but it is Sunday
        evening, so I'm not really expecting one.

        Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
        Turns out the thing about getting 72 virgins in heaven is true, but
        it also turns out all they want to do is play Madden.
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
          That's the wrong url for the svn.

          Let me get home in a few minutes and find the right one.

          -Andrew Maitland

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
            Oops, nevermind... that is the correct url... sorry. I'll do a pull at home and see if it's working.

            If not, then it could very well be SF acting up again.

            - AndrewM (At work still)

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
              On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 02:36:28PM -0800, Andrew Maitland wrote:
              > Oops, nevermind... that is the correct url... sorry. I'll do a
              > pull at home and see if it's working.
              >
              > If not, then it could very well be SF acting up again.
              >
              > - AndrewM (At work still)

              No worries, thanks for looking at it.

              Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
              Soon you'll show them all. Unfortunately, exactly what you'll
              show them is neither pretty, nor viewable by those under 18.
              Message 6 of 14 , May 14, 2010
                Hi Andrew,

                Have you had any further progress with this?

                If not we might have to look at making a tar ball or the like
                available for download so you can get the code.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 17, 2010
                  Hi James

                  Work has been insane over the past couple of months, so I haven't been
                  trying.  They posted a comment about two weeks ago (I think someone
                  was just servicing their backlog).  We've almost got the software out
                  the doo, so things might be settling down a bit.  When I get a chance,
                  I'l try it out and let you know.
                  andrew