Re: [pcgen_developers] Checking out a new copy of the subversion repository

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2010
      On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:45:44PM +1100, James Dempsey wrote:
      > On 6/02/2010 8:52 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
      >> My machine died recently and I lost my copies of the subversion
      >> repository. I've been trying to check out our sources again and
      >> I'm not having any luck at all. The checkout keeps dying, this
      >> is both strange and annoying.
      >>
      >> Could someone else please try checking out a new copy of the
      >> sources, see if it's just me it doesn't like. I've tried on
      >> Windows 7 and linux. The Windows 7 is local and the linux
      >> machine is on another continent, so it doesn't seem to be
      >> location, machine or OS dependent.
      >
      > I checked out a new copy of the CDOM-UI branch on the ci box
      > today and it worked ok. I did need to run a second build, which
      > would have done an svn update, so you might try that on a folder
      > that has failed to fully checkout.

      I'm still getting this.

      Cannot checkout from svn: svn: bad record MAC
      svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/pcgen/!svn/vcc/default'

      This was produced when trying to check out the sandbox, but it
      happens for everything, trunk, branches, whatever.

      And always on that same "file"

      Aries: (March 21 - April 19)
      You will be the first person in almost three millennia whom the
      gods see fit to punish for an astounding lack of hubris.
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
        On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:45:44PM +1100, James Dempsey wrote:
        > On 6/02/2010 8:52 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
        >> My machine died recently and I lost my copies of the
        >> subversion repository. I've been trying to check out our
        >> sources again and I'm not having any luck at all. The checkout
        >> keeps dying, this is both strange and annoying.
        >>
        >> Could someone else please try checking out a new copy of the
        >> sources, see if it's just me it doesn't like. I've tried on
        >> Windows 7 and linux. The Windows 7 is local and the linux
        >> machine is on another continent, so it doesn't seem to be
        >> location, machine or OS dependent.
        >
        > I checked out a new copy of the CDOM-UI branch on the ci box
        > today and it worked ok. I did need to run a second build, which
        > would have done an svn update, so you might try that on a
        > folder that has failed to fully checkout.

        It took me multiple hours and somewhere between 12 and 20
        restarts of the subversion update to check out our sources.

        Sourceforge is a steaming pile of s**t!

        Taurus: (April. 20 - May 20)
        You will suffer dire consequences after toying with powerful
        forces you do not understand, namely gravity.
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
          Hi Andrew Wilson,

          I'm sure this won't make you feel better, but just a few days ago I walked some one through a new checkout and after a few false starts he was able to grab the entire trunk. The checkout path was the issue in our case. He was using the http path of the viewer instead of the proper svn path.

          I'd double check your settings, I can do massive checkouts without any issues on my end.

          - Andrew Maitland

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
            Hi Andrew

            On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:23:56AM -0800, Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > I'm sure this won't make you feel better, but just a few days ago I
            > walked some one through a new checkout and after a few false starts he
            > was able to grab the entire trunk. The checkout path was the issue in
            > our case. He was using the http path of the viewer instead of the
            > proper svn path.
            >
            > I'd double check your settings, I can do massive checkouts without any
            > issues on my end.

            There really aren't any settings, the repositiory and tag and where to
            put it are all you need. Restarting the thing after it stalled was the
            only "reconfigurtion" it needed to eventually, and I do mean eventually
            after many many hours and more resets than I could count, complete.

            The problem is definitely on their end.

            Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
            Once again, you'll be surprised by how many of your troubles can
            be traced back to that smelly old couch.
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
              If it's reproduceable, you may want to report it to them.  I had a similar experience some time ago (12 + months?) and after opening a problem ticket and working with them to get some packet traces they traced it to their load balancers.

              Actually, I'll try a major check-out this evening and see if it recurs for me.

              thpr@... and tppublic@...

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
                Hi Andrew,

                On 8/02/2010 4:57 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
                > Hi Andrew
                >
                > On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:23:56AM -0800, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                >
                >> I'm sure this won't make you feel better, but just a few days ago I
                >> walked some one through a new checkout and after a few false starts he
                >> was able to grab the entire trunk. The checkout path was the issue in
                >> our case. He was using the http path of the viewer instead of the
                >> proper svn path.
                >>
                >> I'd double check your settings, I can do massive checkouts without any
                >> issues on my end.
                >>

                > There really aren't any settings, the repositiory and tag and where to
                > put it are all you need. Restarting the thing after it stalled was the
                > only "reconfigurtion" it needed to eventually, and I do mean eventually
                > after many many hours and more resets than I could count, complete.
                >
                > The problem is definitely on their end.

                What's the command you are using, including the URL? Which SVN client
                are you using on the two machines?

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
                  On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:28:36AM +1100, James Dempsey wrote:
                  > On 8/02/2010 4:57 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
                  >> There really aren't any settings, the repositiory and tag and where
                  >> to put it are all you need. Restarting the thing after it stalled was
                  >> the only "reconfiguration" it needed to eventually, and I do mean
                  >> eventually after many many hours and more resets than I could count,
                  >> complete.
                  >>
                  >> The problem is definitely on their end.
                  >
                  > What's the command you are using, including the URL? Which SVN client
                  > are you using on the two machines?

                  First thing I tried on Windows 7 was checking out the sources into a new
                  project using IDEA. I copied and pasted the URL from SourceForge's site.
                  IDEA showed me the Trunk, branches, tags and sandbox entries below the
                  main URL, so I'm pretty confident it had the correct URL

                  https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen

                  I've just copied out of IDEA. It would start the checkout then
                  SourceForge would throw its little hissy fit and there was no way I
                  could see to tell it to carry on from the point it had reached.
                  See later.

                  I also tried updating my copy of the sources that I extracted using git,
                  this also fails, but in a different way

                  git svn fetch

                  was the command. Note that several months ago, this had been working
                  finer. I had a completely up to date copy of the sources in git, with a
                  full history. It just doesn't update anymore.

                  Tried that same command on the copy of the git repository on the linux
                  box, no joy. Same failure as on windows

                  > Andrew Wilson@ELROND /f/programming/pcgen-git (master)
                  > $ git svn fetch
                  > Index mismatch: da3af7c4cc9dc5e32c3f70c7e47d8aaa5e91edb6 != f3057735369d16e2f7c89b9017fe4ab8d6a29636
                  > rereading 97a0d84b5830f541b8d76930e5bb51e7a94e30b2
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/BioSetFacet.java
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AbstractDataFacet.java
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AbstractListFacet.java
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/ActiveEqModFacet.java
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AlignmentFacet.java
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/CampaignFacet.java
                  > M pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/cdom/facet/AbstractItemFacet.java
                  > Incomplete data: Delta source ended unexpectedly at C:\Program Files (x86)\Git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 4618
                  >

                  > Andrew Wilson@ELROND /f/programming/pcgen-git (master)

                  That's a capture from the "Git Bash Here" right click option in explorer.

                  I updated the svn repository on the linux box (which I hadn't lost, but
                  don't really use for development, it's just accessible from places where
                  my desktop isn't)

                  svn update

                  This stalled at least once, but did complete eventually.

                  I then installed TortoiseSVN on the windows machine and used it to check
                  out a copy of the sandbox and a copy of the trunk

                  https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk

                  is the URL that's coming up when I ask it to do a new checkout. I used
                  the vestiges of the sandbox checkout started by IDEA and finished it with
                  TortoiseSVN. More confirmation that the URL was correct.

                  The trunk checkout I started from scratch with TortoiseSVN, it took a
                  long long time and lots of restarts to eventually check out the trunk.

                  I raised the following ticket with SourceForge earlier this evening:

                  > #8550: Problems checking out from subversion
                  > -------------------+---------------------------------------------
                  > Reporter: nuance | Status: new
                  > Hi
                  >
                  > I'm a developer on the PCGen project. I tried checking out a
                  > copy of our sources. It repeatedly stalled with the error:
                  >
                  > Cannot checkout from svn: svn: bad record MAC
                  > svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/pcgen/!svn/vcc/default'
                  >
                  > I tried checking out in both windows 7 and linux, using both a
                  > local machine and a machine hosted on a different continent.
                  >
                  > Eventually after nursemaiding the thing for hours and restarting
                  > it when it stalled I got the thing checked out.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Ticket URL:
                  > <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/8550>
                  > sourceforge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourceforge/>
                  > SF-project sourceforge

                  I have not yet had a reply from the SourceForge staff, but it is Sunday
                  evening, so I'm not really expecting one.

                  Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
                  Turns out the thing about getting 72 virgins in heaven is true, but
                  it also turns out all they want to do is play Madden.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
                    That's the wrong url for the svn.

                    Let me get home in a few minutes and find the right one.

                    -Andrew Maitland

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
                      Oops, nevermind... that is the correct url... sorry. I'll do a pull at home and see if it's working.

                      If not, then it could very well be SF acting up again.

                      - AndrewM (At work still)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2010
                        On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 02:36:28PM -0800, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                        > Oops, nevermind... that is the correct url... sorry. I'll do a
                        > pull at home and see if it's working.
                        >
                        > If not, then it could very well be SF acting up again.
                        >
                        > - AndrewM (At work still)

                        No worries, thanks for looking at it.

                        Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
                        Soon you'll show them all. Unfortunately, exactly what you'll
                        show them is neither pretty, nor viewable by those under 18.
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 14 5:32 PM
                          Hi Andrew,

                          Have you had any further progress with this?

                          If not we might have to look at making a tar ball or the like
                          available for download so you can get the code.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 17 6:27 AM
                            Hi James

                            Work has been insane over the past couple of months, so I haven't been
                            trying.  They posted a comment about two weeks ago (I think someone
                            was just servicing their backlog).  We've almost got the software out
                            the doo, so things might be settling down a bit.  When I get a chance,
                            I'l try it out and let you know.
                            andrew