Re: [pcgen_developers] Getting Started Again

  • Eric Jarman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3 1:19 PM
      Just chiming in with a little research, as alternatives to JEP are few and far between.
      I found one that is still (sortof) active:  JMEP  http://jmep.tigris.org

      Other option would be to write our own in JavaCC or ANTLR. (Daunting, to say the least.)

      On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
      On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:01:59AM -0800, Tom Parker wrote:
      > I'm still focused on the core.  I will be less than 5 hours a week
      > through Feb, then back to 10+
      >
      > In addition to your list, I'd be interested to know as well if Andrew
      > (nuance) has looked further into the formula compiler discussion from
      > a few months ago.

      To be honest I haven't looked at it at all.  Work got insanely busy for
      4 to 5 months and I haven't done anything.  Things have quietened down
      again and I should be able to start looking at that stuff.  I do intend
      to work on it during the transition to 6.0, but I'm aware that's it's
      not pencilled in as a project priority.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3 2:18 PM
        On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 03:19:52PM -0600, Eric Jarman wrote:
        > On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
        >> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:01:59AM -0800, Tom Parker wrote:
        >>> In addition to your list, I'd be interested to know as well if Andrew
        >>> (nuance) has looked further into the formula compiler discussion from
        >>> a few months ago.
        >>
        >> To be honest I haven't looked at it at all. Work got insanely busy for
        >> 4 to 5 months and I haven't done anything. Things have quietened down
        >> again and I should be able to start looking at that stuff. I do intend
        >> to work on it during the transition to 6.0, but I'm aware that's it's
        >> not pencilled in as a project priority.
        >
        > Just chiming in with a little research, as alternatives to JEP are few
        > and far between. I found one that is still (sortof) active: JMEP
        > http://jmep.tigris.org

        Thanks, I see it's actually older than JEP and started life as a maths
        parser written in C.

        > Other option would be to write our own in JavaCC or ANTLR. (Daunting,
        > to say the least.)

        Tom wrote a formula parser in java a couple of years ago. Our current
        intent is to base what we do on that. Tom checked it in ... about four
        monts ago (yikes!). I was supposed to look it over, but then work got
        mental and I haven't looked at it.

        It may be daunting, but Tom reckons that it's already working, it just
        needs integrated into out datat loading. Eventually we hope to have the
        formula fully parsed on loading, so we can catch errors and deprecate
        stuff properly. If we get it working we can bin both JEP and the old
        PCGen maths parser.

        Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
        ensure uninterrupted access to this valuable business, entertainment,
        and predicting tool.
      • MotorViper
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9 5:33 AM
          Hi everyone, sorry I took so long to reply. Currently I'm snowed under
          at home and work so my contribution to the LST editor is going to have
          to go on hold. I can still do 4 or 5 hours a week so am available for
          small updates/fixes, particularily on the gui side. Sorry to leave you
          guys in the lurch on the bigger project.

          MV.