New "Illegal" character check in - issues?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      One of the latest check in's has shown we have a bunch of illegal
      characters in the Equipment File (lb.) or (sq.) or (ft.), any kit
      referencing those (Rope/Hemp 50 ft.)

      Is this actually an illegal character (period '.')?
      Should we automate a conversion?
      I can fix all the illegal characters in the core set, but this has the
      potential of causing some items to turn up missing till they're re-added
      for anyone who was using them.

      I think there is a bunch of spells, but the error isn't saying which
      file, so it could very well be one of my own homebrews.

      Anyways, what is the game plan regarding this?

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
        Andrew Maitland scribed:

        > Hi Folks,
        >

        > One of the latest check in's has shown we have a bunch of illegal
        > characters in the Equipment File (lb.) or (sq.) or (ft.), any kit
        > referencing those (Rope/Hemp 50 ft.)
        >
        > Is this actually an illegal character (period '.')?
        > Should we automate a conversion?
        > I can fix all the illegal characters in the core set, but this has the
        > potential of causing some items to turn up missing till they're re-added
        > for anyone who was using them.
        >
        > I think there is a bunch of spells, but the error isn't saying which
        > file, so it could very well be one of my own homebrews.
        >
        > Anyways, what is the game plan regarding this?

        A period is not allowed in object names, see General Object Naming Standards
        is the docs:

        file:///Volumes/Io/Development/Application_PCGen_Trunk/pcgen/docs/listfilepa
        ges/listfileLSTstandards.html

        Which core set are you referring to and what is reporting this?
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
          On 1/30/2010 12:55 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
          > Andrew Maitland scribed:
          >

          >> Hi Folks,
          >>

          >> One of the latest check in's has shown we have a bunch of illegal
          >> characters in the Equipment File (lb.) or (sq.) or (ft.), any kit
          >> referencing those (Rope/Hemp 50 ft.)
          >>
          >> Is this actually an illegal character (period '.')?
          >> Should we automate a conversion?
          >> I can fix all the illegal characters in the core set, but this has the
          >> potential of causing some items to turn up missing till they're re-added
          >> for anyone who was using them.
          >>
          >> I think there is a bunch of spells, but the error isn't saying which
          >> file, so it could very well be one of my own homebrews.
          >>
          >> Anyways, what is the game plan regarding this?
          >>
          > A period is not allowed in object names, see General Object Naming Standards
          > is the docs:
          >
          > file:///Volumes/Io/Development/Application_PCGen_Trunk/pcgen/docs/listfilepa
          > ges/listfileLSTstandards.html
          >
          > Which core set are you referring to and what is reporting this?

          RSRD core set, two equipment files, and at least one or two kit calls.

          Using the latest dev version of 5.17

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
            Andrew Maitland scribed:

            >> Which core set are you referring to and what is reporting this?
            >>

            > RSRD core set, two equipment files, and at least one or two kit calls.
            >
            > Using the latest dev version of 5.17

            How did you become aware of it? Message when you built it?
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
              On 1/30/2010 1:54 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
              > Andrew Maitland scribed:
              >

              >>> Which core set are you referring to and what is reporting this?
              >>>

              >> RSRD core set, two equipment files, and at least one or two kit calls.
              >>
              >> Using the latest dev version of 5.17
              >>
              > How did you become aware of it? Message when you built it?

              Loaded it up as per normal. List appears for each item in violation.

              Look in the equipment list, and search for lb. or Ft. or Sq.

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
                Andrew Maitland scribed:

                >>> RSRD core set, two equipment files, and at least one or two kit calls.
                >>>
                >>> Using the latest dev version of 5.17
                >>>
                >> How did you become aware of it? Message when you built it?
                >>
                > Loaded it up as per normal. List appears for each item in violation.
                >
                > Look in the equipment list, and search for lb. or Ft. or Sq.

                Ah, must be a new check in the trunk, that was not present when I did load
                testing for 5.16. Yeah, those should be renamed. Equipment doesn't present
                much problems for pre-existing characters as it can easily be re-added.

                We will probably find some more of these when we do the load testing at the
                end of the cycle.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
                  I've already done so on my copy of the trunk, but wanted to double check
                  with the data and code team before I change the repository copy.

                  On 1/30/2010 3:19 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                  > Andrew Maitland scribed:

                  >>> How did you become aware of it? Message when you built it?
                  >>>

                  >> Loaded it up as per normal. List appears for each item in violation.
                  >>
                  >> Look in the equipment list, and search for lb. or Ft. or Sq.
                  >>
                  > Ah, must be a new check in the trunk, that was not present when I did load
                  > testing for 5.16. Yeah, those should be renamed. Equipment doesn't present
                  > much problems for pre-existing characters as it can easily be re-added.
                  >
                  > We will probably find some more of these when we do the load testing at the
                  > end of the cycle.

                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
                    We're talking character breakage with some of the common items (esp. rope).

                    Tir Gwaith
                    PCGen LST Chimp

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
                      This is my concern. I built it according to the standards (it's a warning not an error). Let me take another look at what it's catching and perhaps we'll suppress some of the checking for a bit.

                      TP.