Getting Started Again

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010

      I trust everyone had a refreshing break over Christmas/New Year - as I
      found myself it can be a great time to recharge! On the code front it
      has been rather quiet over the past month or so and it is now time to
      get our efforts for 6.0 back up and running.

      One way in which this is easier is that there will no longer be any
      coding done in the 5.16 branch, so we are fine to do larger scale
      changes in the trunk without fear of compatibility issues arising.

      There are 5 major projects we have planned for 6.0. These are
      * CDOM
      * UI Revamp (including CDOM UI and the designers review of the UI)
      * LST editor
      * Bonus system revamp
      * Output token revamp

      If you have been or are involved in these could you post back with your
      status in the next week or so. Also if you are just keen to get
      involved, please post too.

      What I am really interested in is your intent to participate and what
      time you would see yourself having to dedicate to it in the next couple
      of months. From that we will know which projects are active and which
      need new people to be involved.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010

        Just to contribute my own intent. I'm particularly interested in the UI
        revamp and will be contributing there initially. I will probably have
        5-6 hours a week initially but I'd expect that once we get some momentum
        up I'll increase that - that seems to be the way I work :) The first
        task I am intending to work on is a basics page in the CDOM UI branch to
        match the ideas posted in the UI discussion on the wiki.

        I'm also intending to contribute as much as possible to planning and
        design discussions for these projects.

        On 30/01/2010 9:07 AM James Dempsey wrote

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
          I'm still focused on the core.  I will be less than 5 hours a week through Feb, then back to 10+

          In addition to your list, I'd be interested to know as well if Andrew (nuance) has looked further into the formula compiler discussion from a few months ago.

          thpr@... and tppublic@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2010

            My on again/off again main contribution will actually be to update the OS Token documentation to match reality.

            I also try to co-ordinate any of our large scale projects that involve multiple teams to try and make sure we stick to our Roadmap.

            > Just to contribute my own intent. I'm particularly interested in the UI
            > revamp and will be contributing there initially. I will probably have
            > 5-6 hours a week initially but I'd expect that once we get some
            > momentum
            > up I'll increase that - that seems to be the way I work :) The first
            > task I am intending to work on is a basics page in the CDOM UI
            > branch to match the ideas posted in the UI discussion on the wiki.

            On this point, John is working on a newer screenshot based on the feedback on that wiki page + some other discoveries he's made with Kerry (the other Graphic Designer). I'll chase him and see where he's up to for you.

          • Connor Petty

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3 12:53 PM
                On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:01:59AM -0800, Tom Parker wrote:
                > I'm still focused on the core.� I will be less than 5 hours a week
                > through Feb, then back to 10+
                >
                > In addition to your list, I'd be interested to know as well if Andrew
                > (nuance) has looked further into the formula compiler discussion from
                > a few months ago.

                To be honest I haven't looked at it at all. Work got insanely busy for
                4 to 5 months and I haven't done anything. Things have quietened down
                again and I should be able to start looking at that stuff. I do intend
                to work on it during the transition to 6.0, but I'm aware that's it's
                not pencilled in as a project priority.

                Aquarius: (Jan. 20 - Feb. 18)
                It's admirable that you're not getting all paranoid, especially
                considering the fact that everyone is plotting to take away
                everything you have.
              • Eric Jarman
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3 1:19 PM
                  Just chiming in with a little research, as alternatives to JEP are few and far between.
                  I found one that is still (sortof) active:  JMEP  http://jmep.tigris.org

                  Other option would be to write our own in JavaCC or ANTLR. (Daunting, to say the least.)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3 2:18 PM
                    On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 03:19:52PM -0600, Eric Jarman wrote:
                    > On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
                    >> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:01:59AM -0800, Tom Parker wrote:
                    >>> In addition to your list, I'd be interested to know as well if Andrew
                    >>> (nuance) has looked further into the formula compiler discussion from
                    >>> a few months ago.
                    >>
                    >> To be honest I haven't looked at it at all. Work got insanely busy for
                    >> 4 to 5 months and I haven't done anything. Things have quietened down
                    >> again and I should be able to start looking at that stuff. I do intend
                    >> to work on it during the transition to 6.0, but I'm aware that's it's
                    >> not pencilled in as a project priority.
                    >
                    > Just chiming in with a little research, as alternatives to JEP are few
                    > and far between. I found one that is still (sortof) active: JMEP
                    > http://jmep.tigris.org

                    Thanks, I see it's actually older than JEP and started life as a maths
                    parser written in C.

                    > Other option would be to write our own in JavaCC or ANTLR. (Daunting,
                    > to say the least.)

                    Tom wrote a formula parser in java a couple of years ago. Our current
                    intent is to base what we do on that. Tom checked it in ... about four
                    monts ago (yikes!). I was supposed to look it over, but then work got
                    mental and I haven't looked at it.

                    It may be daunting, but Tom reckons that it's already working, it just
                    needs integrated into out datat loading. Eventually we hope to have the
                    formula fully parsed on loading, so we can catch errors and deprecate
                    stuff properly. If we get it working we can bin both JEP and the old
                    PCGen maths parser.

                    Gemini: (May 21 - June 21)
                    ensure uninterrupted access to this valuable business, entertainment,
                    and predicting tool.
                  • MotorViper
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 9 5:33 AM
                      Hi everyone, sorry I took so long to reply. Currently I'm snowed under
                      at home and work so my contribution to the LST editor is going to have
                      to go on hold. I can still do 4 or 5 hours a week so am available for
                      small updates/fixes, particularily on the gui side. Sorry to leave you
                      guys in the lurch on the bigger project.

                      MV.