Re: Welcome to John

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2009
      Hi John,

      I'm not 100% directly involved with the UI project, but I've got a couple of things that might help:

      > Referring to "CDOM
      > UI Screenshots" thread I will look over the thumbnails. Would there
      > be any way to download a compiled version of the pcgen with the new
      > UI? I will also look at current version of pcgen and compare.

      I'm sure that James can knock one of these out for you.

      > Is there a list of UI issues your group wants to address? I wouldn't
      > want to bring something up that has already been taken care of. In
      > the mean time, I will look through pcgen and create a list of UI
      > concerns from the point of view of a player creating a 3.5 D&D
      > character.

      You can look at the trackers that we have on Sourceforge and Search for UI bugs and UI feature requests. Those are existing items that the users have been concerned about over time. The quality of these reports and their currently relevance however will be a varying quality.

      Creating a list of UI concerns would be fantastic. From an 'experienced user' point of view all I'd say is that the current version of PCGen would be vastly improved by simply being consistent, let along the sort of options that a UI expert might offer.

      > Has there been talk of creating "Wizards" for the different aspects
      > of pcgen? (For example, step by step character creation.)

      Yes, I'm not sure if this is part of phase 1 of the UI overhaul, but this would be a massive boon to PCGen. I also see this area gaining the most benefit from significant imagery etc :)

      > If there is anything else I should keep in mind while I look through
      > the UI?

      I guess the fact that users can load enormous amounts of data. So lists of items can be incredibly long (even with filtering), displaying this attractively can be problematic.