CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and output sheets

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009

      I ran across some interesting code for displaying SA/SQ/Feats that you take multiple times.

      The relevant code (ad libbed somewhat):

      if (!ChooseActivation.hasChooseToken(a) ||
      a.getSafe(ObjectKey.MULTIPLE_ALLOWED) &&
      a.getSafe(ObjectKey.STACKS))
      {
      // (<number>x) style of display
      }
      else
      {
      // (,) style of display as there is sub information to display
      }

      According to the docs if you use CHOOSE:NOCHOICE then in the UI/OS you should automatically get the "Toughness (2x)" type of display as opposed to the Toughness(,) type of display, but there is no mention of requiring STACK:YES for this condition to be true as well.

      So do people think the logic is currently correct and that we should simply amend the docs?

      I'd also add an extra () to clarify the statement a little, e.g.

      if ( ( !ChooseActivation.hasChooseToken(a) || a.getSafe(ObjectKey.MULTIPLE_ALLOWED) ) && a.getSafe(ObjectKey.STACKS))

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
        You should never be able to encounter Toughness (,)

        If the Ability/Feat is STACKS:NO, then it shouldn't be able to be taken multiple times and should always show up as "Toughness" ... without any parens.

        So technically, I think you are correct and it would keep the logic more consistent with what is done in user prompts for Choices, but logically I don't think a change is necessary in the code you show.  (another change may be necessary if there is a code bug that allows a STACKS:NO Ability to be taken multiple times)

        Is this from a code review or an actual way someone generated a (,) case?

        thpr@... and tppublic@...

            mailto:pcgen_developers-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:pcgen_developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
          Tom Parker wrote:
          You should never be able to encounter Toughness (,)

          If the Ability/Feat is STACKS:NO, then it shouldn't be able to be taken multiple times and should always show up as "Toughness" ... without any parens.

          So technically, I think you are correct and it would keep the logic more consistent with what is done in user prompts for Choices, but logically I don't think a change is necessary in the code you show.  (another change may be necessary if there is a code bug that allows a STACKS:NO Ability to be taken multiple times)

          Is this from a code review or an actual way someone generated a (,) case?

          Actual working code. STACK:YES is used to allow an ability to choose the same choice multiple times. STACK:NO is the default in it's absence. CHOOSE:NOCHOICE is an exception case... Use it without specifying the STACK:YES and you will have parenthesis with commas. Which is why I had Kar trying to figure it out. Once I used the STACK:YES with all my CHOOSE:NOCHOICE my system performance increased and lots of my lag disappeared.

          This is definitely something we need to look at.

          thpr@... and tppublic@...

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
            --- On Wed, 10/28/09, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

            > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE is an exception case... Use it without
            specifying the
            > STACK:YES and you will have parenthesis with commas.

            I'm following now.

            > This is definitely something we need to look at.

            One could argue, if you can take a CHOOSE:NOCHOICE item more than once without specifying STACKS:YES, then that is a defect.  That's what I was thinking in my response.

            On the other hand, CHOOSE:NOCHOICE makes no sense as MULT:YES and STACKS:NO, because you'd be better off not having a CHOOSE token at all and keeping it MULT:NO.

            We need to do 2 things:
            (1) Define what we WANT to have happen
            (2) Check out what our existing data does

            For #1, I'd like to have CHOOSE:NOCHOICE consistent with other CHOOSE items, in that to take it multiple times with the same item (which it always is), requires STACK:YES.  This would mean we'd need to make CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO trigger an error on LST load.

            If our existing data uses CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO, then we could deprecate that combination, assuming STACK can be changed to YES, and then make it an error in the subsequent revision.

            That's my recommendation anyway.  Anyone with other thoughts?

            thpr@... and tppublic@...

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
              Tom Parker wrote:
              --- On Wed, 10/28/09, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

              > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE is an exception case... Use it without specifying the
              > STACK:YES and you will have parenthesis with commas.

              I'm following now.

              > This is definitely something we need to look at.

              One could argue, if you can take a CHOOSE:NOCHOICE item more than once without specifying STACKS:YES, then that is a defect.  That's what I was thinking in my response.

              On the other hand, CHOOSE:NOCHOICE makes no sense as MULT:YES and STACKS:NO, because you'd be better off not having a CHOOSE token at all and keeping it MULT:NO.

              CHOOSE:NOCHOICE is just to suppress the chooser from popping up as per the docs since it's a single choice, it was a way to have the same choice. I tend to agree STACK:YES does make sense in that regard.

              We need to do 2 things:
              (1) Define what we WANT to have happen
              (2) Check out what our existing data does

              For #1, I'd like to have CHOOSE:NOCHOICE consistent with other CHOOSE items, in that to take it multiple times with the same item (which it always is), requires STACK:YES.  This would mean we'd need to make CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO trigger an error on LST load.

              Agreed.

              If our existing data uses CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO, then we could deprecate that combination, assuming STACK can be changed to YES, and then make it an error in the subsequent revision.

              Only if you mean STACK would default to YES only for that combo. Since STACK:YES has other implications for other choose tokens... STACK:NO should be default to prevent the same choice in all the other CHOOSE tokens we have. That's how the existing data is set up to work today.

              That's my recommendation anyway.  Anyone with other thoughts?

              Sounds good to me. The Error is definitely something I'd like to have happen as it's absence causes issues both in lagging/performance and poor PDF and GUI output

              thpr@... and tppublic@...

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                > If our existing data uses CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO, then we could deprecate that combination, assuming STACK can be changed to YES, and then make it an error in the subsequent revision.
                >
                > That's my recommendation anyway.  Anyone with other thoughts?

                Info for further discussion:

                In Trunk (which doesn't have PF Omega atm): CHOOSE:NOCHOICE is used
                834 time(s). (107 file(s)). From those lines, MULT:YES is used 788
                times. Now, some of those maybe equipmod files, since my script
                didn't differentiate beyond *.lst.

                In d20ogl (since I consider those 'stable' - in alpha set's I'd call
                it a data bug):

                Files with STACK:NO MULT:YES CHOOSE:NOCHOICE:
                aeg_evil_feats.lst
                spycraft_feats_hidden.lst (x2, those entries also have ADD:FEAT|3| in
                them, so that looks to be a workaround of some sort.)
                quintfighterfeats.lst (Def. a workaround, since the character is
                supposed to choose a type of armor. So CHOOSE:NOCHOICE isn't the
                right setup, but at least character can take it...)
                quintranger_feats.lst
                quintranger2_feats.lst
                dw2sg_abilities_talents.lst

                Files with CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and no STACK tag:
                sherwood_feats.lst
                sorcerysteam_feats_hidden.lst (2x, and those have an
                ADD:FEAT|Toughness, so looks like a workaround)
                demonology_feats.lst
                arcanabasics_abilities_monsters.lst (Thats MSRD)
                arcanabasics_feats.lst (2x, that's MSRD again)
                critical_feats_feats.lst
                bnc_feats.lst
                moderndispatch108_teamwork_mechanics_feats.lst
                blood_and_secrets_feat.lst
                roaring20s_feats.lst
                rsrd_abilities_class_prestige.lst (2x, that's RSRD)

                Tir Gwaith
                PCGen LST Chimp
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                  > One could argue, if you can take a CHOOSE:NOCHOICE item more than once without specifying STACKS:YES, then that is a defect.  That's what I was thinking in my response.
                  >
                  > On the other hand, CHOOSE:NOCHOICE makes no sense as MULT:YES and STACKS:NO, because you'd be better off not having a CHOOSE token at all and keeping it MULT:NO.
                  >
                  > We need to do 2 things:
                  > (1) Define what we WANT to have happen
                  > (2) Check out what our existing data does
                  >
                  > For #1, I'd like to have CHOOSE:NOCHOICE consistent with other CHOOSE items, in that to take it multiple times with the same item (which it always is), requires STACK:YES.  This would mean we'd need to make CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO trigger an error on LST load.

                  Yep.

                  > If our existing data uses CHOOSE:NOCHOICE, MULT:YES, STACK:NO, then we could deprecate that combination, assuming STACK can be changed to YES, and then make it an error in the subsequent revision.
                  >
                  > That's my recommendation anyway.  Anyone with other thoughts?

                  I think we need the following:
                  1) Note in Docs that CHOOSE:NOCHOICE requires MULT:YES STACK:YES
                  2) Warn / fail on load - 2 diff. scenarios
                  2a) if CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and no STACK tag
                  2b) if STACK:NO and CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                  3) Data converter, if CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and no STACK tag, add STACK:YES
                  4) Data review of our sources to remove any non-compliance in current
                  sets. As my other post showed, we have some weird workarounds that
                  may require going back to the source to figure out what the intent is.
                  5) (if I can figure out how) have PL add STACK:YES is not present with
                  CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and in a feat/ability file.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen LST Chimp
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 29, 2009

                    Thanks for discussing this, I wasn't too sure about the history/intention.

                    > > That's my recommendation anyway.  Anyone with other thoughts?
                    >
                    > I think we need the following:
                    > 1) Note in Docs that CHOOSE:NOCHOICE requires MULT:YES STACK:YES
                    > 2) Warn / fail on load - 2 diff. scenarios
                    > 2a) if CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and no STACK tag
                    > 2b) if STACK:NO and CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                    > 3) Data converter, if CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and no STACK tag, add
                    > STACK:YES
                    > 4) Data review of our sources to remove any non-compliance in
                    > current sets. As my other post showed, we have some weird
                    > workarounds that may require going back to the source to figure out
                    > what the intent is.
                    > 5) (if I can figure out how) have PL add STACK:YES is not present
                    > with CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and in a feat/ability file.

                    Does PrettyLst need to do this is the LST Loader catches this?

                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > PCGen LST Chimp

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 29, 2009
                      >> 5) (if I can figure out how) have PL add STACK:YES is not present
                      >> with CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and in a feat/ability file.
                      >
                      > Does PrettyLst need to do this is the LST Loader catches this?

                      If the Code reports a problem, then strictly no. However, it already
                      checks for MULT:Y with a CHOOSE, so that kind of check can be handy.
                      Reporting errors that will prevent a full PCGen load I consider a good
                      thing. :)

                      Tir Gwaith
                      PCGen LST Chimp
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009

                        Almost forgot to follow up on this!

                        Trackered https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2893256&group_id=25576&atid=748234

                        Trackered https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2893258&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                        Trackered https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2893263&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                        Trackered https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2893265&group_id=25576&atid=750092

                        > 5) (if I can figure out how) have PL add STACK:YES is not present
                        > with CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and in a feat/ability file.

                        I left this as the code will pick up on this anyhow (I like the idea of prettyLst going back to its original function of making LST pretty and leaving the checking to the LST load in PCGen itself).

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009
                            --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                            > Just an FYI, noticed an issue with CHOOSE:ABILITY and STACK:YES is
                            > acting just like CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and STACK:YES.

                            This needs to be more specific.

                            In what way is it "acting like"?

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009

                              thpr wrote:
                              --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                              Just an FYI, noticed an issue with CHOOSE:ABILITY and STACK:YES is
                              acting just like CHOOSE:NOCHOICE and STACK:YES.

                              This needs to be more specific.

                              In what way is it "acting like"?

                              It's displaying (2x) or (3x) instead of the choice.

                              CHOOSE:ABILITY

                              Make my choice(s), GUI displays correctly. Preview "Standard.htm" and Output PDF displayed it only as (2x)

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009

                                Added note... this seems to be affecting STACK:YES abilities, See tracker #2889842 - Wrong results with STACK:YES and CHOOSE:STRING <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2889842&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009
                                  --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                                  > Added note... this seems to be affecting STACK:YES abilities, See
                                  > tracker #2889842 - Wrong results with STACK:YES and CHOOSE:STRING
                                  > <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2889842&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                                  That tracker does not specify if it impacts 5.16 or Trunk or both.

                                  Can you make sure version is a key part of your tracker procedures along with the other changes you've made recently? That's especially important as we make cutoff decisions of what does/doesn't need to be hit for a maintenance release.

                                  Thanks.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009

                                    thpr wrote:
                                    --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                                    Added note... this seems to be affecting STACK:YES abilities, See
                                    tracker #2889842 - Wrong results with STACK:YES and CHOOSE:STRING
                                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2889842&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                                    That tracker does not specify if it impacts 5.16 or Trunk or both.

                                    Can you make sure version is a key part of your tracker procedures along with the other changes you've made recently?  That's especially important as we make cutoff decisions of what does/doesn't need to be hit for a maintenance release.

                                    Tir confirmed broken in 5.16, I've confirmed broken in trunk.
                                    Thanks.