Re: [pcgen_developers] Experimenting with a generic rules engine

  • Chris Dolan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
      I hit a milestone tonight. I can now parse the following PC and auto-compute several combat-related values for him. Note: the XML syntax is *far* from set in stone. I just threw something together that described the bare minimum of player choices. Also, my rules do no validation of the PC. You could easily cheat and give him 100 extra feats and the code won't care.

      <pc xmlns="http://chrisdolan.net/pcgen/drools/input">
      <ruleset name="pathfinder"/>
      <input>
      <property name="CharacterName" value="Aarn"/>
      <property name="PlayerName" value="Chris Dolan"/>

      <alignment name="LawfulEvil"/>

      <stat value="14" name="Strength"/>
      <stat value="14" name="Dexterity"/>
      <stat value="12" name="Constitution"/>
      <stat value="10" name="Intelligence"/>
      <stat value="14" name="Wisdom"/>
      <stat value="8" name="Charisma"/>

      <race name="Human" age="24">
      <favoredclass name="Monk"/>
      <statbonus name="Strength"/>
      <trait name="Suspicious"/>
      </race>

      <level class="Monk">
      <archetype class="Monk" name="HungryGhost"/>
      <hitpoints value="8"/>
      <skill ranks="1" name="Acrobatics"/>
      <skill ranks="1" name="Climb"/>
      <skill ranks="1" name="EscapeArtist"/>
      <skill ranks="1" name="Perception"/>
      <skill ranks="1" name="SenseMotive"/>
      <favoredclassbonus name="Hitpoint"/>
      <feat source="class" name="CombatReflexes"/>
      <feat name="Toughness"/>
      <feat name="ViciousStomp"/>
      </level>
      </input>
      </pc>

      The current output of the rules engine looks like the following (abbreviated).
      Known flaws:
      * hit points are wrong

      AC[Melee=14]
      AC[MeleeTouch=14]
      AC[Normal=14]
      AC[Range=14]
      AC[RangeTouch=14]
      AC[Touch=14]
      Alignment[LawfulEvil]
      Archetype[Monk.Base]
      BAB( value=0 )
      CMB( type=Base, value=2 )
      CMB( type=BullRush, value=2 )
      CMB( type=Disarm, value=2 )
      CMB( type=Grapple, value=2 )
      CMB( type=Overrun, value=2 )
      CMB( type=Sunder, value=2 )
      CMB( type=Trip, value=2 )
      CMD( type=Base, value=14 )
      CMD( type=BullRush, value=14 )
      CMD( type=Disarm, value=14 )
      CMD( type=Grapple, value=14 )
      CMD( type=Overrun, value=14 )
      CMD( type=Sunder, value=14 )
      CMD( type=Trip, value=14 )
      CurrentHitpoints( type=Lethal, value=1 )
      CurrentHitpoints( type=Nonlethal, value=1 )
      CurrentHitpoints( type=Temporary, value=0 )
      CurrentSpeed( value=30 )
      Hitpoints( value=1 )
      Initiative[2]
      Language( name=Common )