Re: [pcgen_developers] Introduction

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi Skylar,

      Sounds like you are making good progress. Hopefully the build went ok - if not give me a msg and I'll help out.

      A good list of things to look at is the bitesize items in code. See the search http://jira.pcgen.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CODE%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20component%20%3D%20Bitesize%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC  If you want to choose one from there that catches your interest, I'll direct you to the relevant code to make the changes.

      There are also a bunch of bitesize items in the newtag project but they need to be cleaned up - many of them are for a project which I don't think will go ahead now.

      On 14/06/2013 2:09 PM Skylar Hiebert wrote
      Hey James, it's been a number of weeks since we last spoke. I just am getting time to start looking at things. I've got the source downloaded from SVN, and it's currently building (should be done shortly). I wanted to check in with you about any "small" ish bugs that I could look at to try to resolve. Or get your input on that. I have no particular preferences, although the known bug around Temporary Buff of Enlarge is currently annoying. I have a temp fix for my own uses, but it's definitely not how it should be.

      Anyway, wanted to check in.

      Thanks,
      Skylar

      On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      Hi Skylar,

      Sounds great - if you need a hand with the environment setup (SVN has become a bit harder now with the new sourceforge setup for instance) just let me know.

      The easier parts of the code to work with are probably the LST and export tokens and the UI. Areas like the rules storage layer, the character data store and variable calculation will take a reasonable amount of research before you are up to speed I would expect.

      If you don't have any particular preference, then NEWTAG-318 - "Export Token [INVALIDTOHIT]"  may be a decent one to start off with. If you are interested I'll add some info to the issue on how it could be done.

      Oh and any time you can donate would be great - we all have other things happening and contribute as we have the time and motivation.

      On 16/03/2013 5:03 PM Skylar Hiebert wrote
      James,

      Well, for now I need to get my environment setup again. It's been almost a year since I did any programming at home. After that I'd like to pore over the code for a little bit, familiarize myself with the data structures and what exists where, etc. After that, I might be able to use some assistance in finding a good spot to help with. Reviewed some of the NEWTAG and CODE Jira issues, didn't find any that jumped out at me right away.

      Thanks for the link, although I started there already (c:

      Will probably be a week or maybe a little more before I intend to be submitting anything. Most likely only get a couple of hours a week. I would be more than open to suggestions on places that are reasonable to start looking at for getting up to speed the quickest in the code base. As to my own familiarity, it is strictly as a user perspective from a 3.5 player. I've created a couple of classes based on proprietary source material, other than that, little else have I done with PCGen. I think I've been using it since v3 or 4. It's been a long time.

      Skylar

      On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      Hi Skylar,

      Welcome to the team! It sounds like you will fit in quite well and it
      would be fantastic to have some more help on the code side.

      Have a look at http://wiki.pcgen.org/Joining_the_Code_Team for how to
      get involved. Was there any specific area you would like to look at, or
      that you are more familiar with? Need a hand on selecting an initial
      item to work on?

      On 16/03/2013 3:18 PM candavespin wrote