Re: [pcgen_developers] Re: Kit file: ABILITY:PROMPT:FEAT(x)|CHOICE:y

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 21, 2013

      - is legal in the name.

      And James is investigating it. Can you open a Code Bug for this please.

      Cheers,

      On 3/21/2013 10:05 AM, rogerwllco wrote:
      It's coded like:
      Blind Fight  OUTPUTNAME:Blind-Fight

      I don't even think the '-' is legal in the name of the feat in PCGen,
      but as maredudd mentions, it's all ABILITY:PROMPT uses that have this issue, I just only quoted one although you had no way to know that.

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

      --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

      FWIW - I recall I had some issue with 'Blind Fight' some time back, something to do with the key actually being different, it may be 'Blind-Fight' ?
      Just worth double checking all your references to it match the actual key definition.

      --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:

      Hi Adriaan,

      Here's the call stack that produces that error:

           at
      pcgen.cdom.helper.CategorizedAbilitySelection.getAbilitySelectionFromPersistentFormat(CategorizedAbilitySelection.java:324)
           at plugin.lsttokens.add.FeatToken.decodeChoice(FeatToken.java:346)
           at plugin.lsttokens.add.FeatToken.decodeChoice(FeatToken.java:1)
           at
      pcgen.cdom.base.ConcretePersistentTransitionChoice.decodeChoice(ConcretePersistentTransitionChoice.java:124)
           at
      plugin.lsttokens.kit.levelability.AbilityToken.parseToken(AbilityToken.java:103)
           at
      plugin.lsttokens.kit.levelability.AbilityToken.parseToken(AbilityToken.java:1)
           at
      pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(TokenSupport.java:62)
           at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(LoadContext.java:262)
           at
      pcgen.rules.persistence.CDOMSubLineLoader.parseLine(CDOMSubLineLoader.java:77)
           at
      pcgen.rules.persistence.CDOMKitLoader.subParse(CDOMKitLoader.java:120)
           at
      pcgen.rules.persistence.CDOMKitLoader.parseSubLine(CDOMKitLoader.java:80)
           at pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader.parseLine(KitLoader.java:205)
           at pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader.parseLine(KitLoader.java:1)
           at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFile(LstObjectFileLoader.java:448)
           at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:117)
           at
      pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader.loadCampaigns(SourceFileLoader.java:606)
           at
      pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader.loadCampaigns(SourceFileLoader.java:479)
           at
      pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader.execute(SourceFileLoader.java:214)
           at
      pcgen.gui2.PCGenStatusBar$TaskExecutor.construct(PCGenStatusBar.java:167)
           at
      pcgen.gui2.PCGenStatusBar$TaskExecutor.construct(PCGenStatusBar.java:1)
           at pcgen.gui2.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:146)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

      Now, what is happening is that
      plugin.lsttokens.kit.levelability.AbilityToken.parseToken(LoadContext,
      KitLevelAbility, String) is not using the category when it is passing on
      the feat choice. Once that is fixed the initial application will
      work,but the persistence in the character will have to be checked also.

      On 21/03/2013 1:37 AM rogerwllco wrote

      L.S.

      I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this but James Dempsey's reply to my last post in general was that these kind of questions are probably more for the dev list than the general or the LST list. Please correct me if I understood that wrong.

      I've downloaded the PCGen trunk code and I've been digging around in it because I'm getting errors when loading my Kit files. I have the impression that these are not due to a syntax error in my LST file, but the code seems to do something strange.

      The issue is that I get the following error:
      SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader loadLstFile Errors.LstFileLoader.Ignoring: String in getAbilitySelectionFromPersistentFormat must start with CATEGORY=, found: Blind Fight not defined.

      This is due to the following code in the LST file:
      LEVELABILITY:Fighter=1
      ABILITY:PROMPT:FEAT(TYPE.Fighter)|CHOICE:Blind Fight

      My problem is that the error seems to originate from /java/plugin/lsttokens/choose/AbilityToken.java
      but the code for handling ABILITY:PROMPT is in /java/plugin/lsttokens/kit/levelability/AbilityToken.java

      I've been trying to figure out from the code why it ends up generating the error where it does. I've tried tracking the flow though the program from when you push the load button and I end up in the CDOMSublineLoader. I've also tried tracking where the AbilityToken is being used.

      I've got the feeling that the code tries to interpret the token as an ABILITY:CATEGORY token instead of a ABILITY:PROMPT token. However I can't find in the code where it makes that decision exactly. It might be doing something based on AbilityToken.getTokenName() which is "ABILITY" for both as far as I understand. I can't find where it does that though.

      Currently I only have the code, I have loaded it into Eclipse, but I haven't looked into compiling and debugging this yet, I might try to in a few weeks time but I have no experience with Maven or Ant. It wasn't high on my priorities as I will focus my efforts on converting my LST files to 6.00 for the next month(s).

      If someone can have a look at this or give me a few pointers so I can continue investigating on my own that would be helpful.

      Please note that James Dempsey changed the error message after another message from me. http://sourceforge.net/p/pcgen/code/19643
      I'm running 6.00.0 though, so I still see the old message.

      Thanks,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 21, 2013
        I usually assume that if the OUTPUTNAME stuff is used it's because of a reason like that, unless the tags involve things like Greater/Lesser and such.

        I've opened CODE-2107

        --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > - is legal in the name.
        >
        > And James is investigating it. Can you open a Code Bug for this please.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > On 3/21/2013 10:05 AM, rogerwllco wrote:
        > > It's coded like:
        > > Blind Fight OUTPUTNAME:Blind-Fight
        > >
        > > I don't even think the '-' is legal in the name of the feat in PCGen,
        > > but as maredudd mentions, it's all ABILITY:PROMPT uses that have this issue, I just only quoted one although you had no way to know that.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
        > >
        > > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
        > >> FWIW - I recall I had some issue with 'Blind Fight' some time back, something to do with the key actually being different, it may be 'Blind-Fight' ?
        > >> Just worth double checking all your references to it match the actual key definition.

        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • rogerwllco
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 21, 2013
          I've noticed that in srd35 the fighter feats are coded as:
          BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Fighter Feat|CL/2+1
          instead of ADD:FEAT"TYPE=Fighter

          If there is a way to define the choices made from an abilitypool like the one quoted above into a kit definition, then it might be easier to just stop supporting the ABILITY:PROMPT syntax.
          It's not used a lot in my datasets, I would have no problem converting it to some ABILITYPOOL syntax.

          I think ABILITY:CATEGORY=FEAT|Blind Fight would not work? I don't see how it would know it's a choice from the ABILITYPOOL

          The urgency of this is quite low for me as it is, but if there were a work around to using ABILITY:PROMPT, I think it might be just as easy to drop support for this syntax instead of fixing it. It seems to have been broken for years (5.16) and nobody has complained before.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 22, 2013

            You can assign a feat choice directly in a kit, yes.

            ABILITY:CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Blind-Fight
            Should work if using the rsrd set.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
              I will recode my occurrences of ABILITY:PROMPT in that way, which will solve the problem for me.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 29, 2013
                I can't get that syntax to work either. I've even tried using it with the srd35.

                If I add the following to rsrd_kits_races_base.lst:
                STARTPACK:Human Guineapig VISIBLE:QUALIFY EQUIPBUY:0 PREMULT:1,[!PRERACE:1,%],[PRERACE:1,Human%]
                RACE:Human !PRERACE:1,%
                NAME:5th-Level Fighter Test
                CLASS:Fighter LEVEL:5
                LEVELABILITY:Fighter=1 ABILITY:CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Blind-Fight
                LEVELABILITY:Fighter=2 ABILITY:CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Cleave
                LEVELABILITY:Fighter=4 ABILITY:CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Improved Initiative

                And then load SRD 3.5 for Players, I get:

                15:52:37.217 INFO main pcgen.system.Main main Starting PCGen v6.00.0
                15:52:37.250 INFO main pcgen.system.LanguageBundle init Initialising language bundle with locale en_US.
                15:53:27.804 INFO Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader loadCampaigns Loading game 35e and sources [SRD 3.5 for Players].
                15:53:29.889 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Expected ABILITY to start with PROMPT: CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Blind-Fight (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_kits_races__base.lst)
                15:53:29.889 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Illegal Token 'ABILITY' 'CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Blind-Fight' for pcgen.core.kit.KitLevelAbility null in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_kits_races__base.lst
                15:53:29.890 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Expected ABILITY to start with PROMPT: CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Cleave (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_kits_races__base.lst)
                15:53:29.890 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Illegal Token 'ABILITY' 'CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Cleave' for pcgen.core.kit.KitLevelAbility null in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_kits_races__base.lst
                15:53:29.891 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Expected ABILITY to start with PROMPT: CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Improved Initiative (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_kits_races__base.lst)
                15:53:29.891 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Illegal Token 'ABILITY' 'CATEGORY=Fighter Feat|Improved Initiative' for pcgen.core.kit.KitLevelAbility null in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen%206.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_kits_races__base.lst

                Now I've changed everything to use ABILITY:CATEGORY, it starts complaining about ABILITY:PROMPT. I'm baffled. Maybe someone else understands what's going on here.

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Should I add this to CODE-2107, make a new JIRA, or am I doing something wrong in the LST syntax? I'm trying to follow the documentation but that isn't always correct either.

                  As I said, I'm lost and don't know if this is a code, LST or documentation issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been staring at this for a few days, and I've got no clue.

                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 31, 2013
                    Hi Adriaan,

                    The ABILITY:CATEGORY tag, unlike the ABILITY:PROMPT tag, is placed on its own line. It does not work on the LEVELABILITY line.

                    Maredudd

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 31, 2013
                      Thank you.

                      It at least makes the error go away. I don't know if it works, I first have another few thousand errors like this to process. Without the LEVELABILITY, how does it know which feat belongs to the right levels 1,2 and 4? Or does it not care?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 31, 2013
                        Hi Adriaan,

                        Ultimately it doesn't need to match the particular level, it just needs
                        to fit within the pool. For kits it is assumed that any level dependant
                        prereqs have been checked by the author - the application will only
                        check against the current level.

                        On 1/04/2013 9:51 AM rogerwllco wrote

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                          Ah, ok. Thank you for the explanation. It's probably documented somewhere, I'm not terribly familiar with the Kit stuff, still busy converting my datasets to 6.00.0.

                          I'm trying to learn though, so I appreciate explanations like this very much. My knowledge is still very much based on 5.10/5.12/5.14.