SLOOOOOOOOOOOW

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
      Is it just me, or has PCGen become extremely slow? I'm using the current SVN
      revision, and when edition characters around 10th level, the programs slows to
      a crawl. Adding skills or equipping items, for example, can take minutes for
      one single skill rank or item. I've tried with 522MB or 1024 MB RAM assigned
      to the Java VM but it doesn't get any better currently. Does anyone else have
      this problem?

      Stefan.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
        I've actually found it to be snappier at lower levels! I haven't tried making a higher than 7th level character yet. There are massive changes occurring in the core of PCGen at the moment, I imagine it would be very useful for Tom if you could narrow down exactly when the slowdown started happening.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
          The primary question on time: "Does 5.16.1 display the same issue or not?"

          A specific example of how to produce the problem is extremely useful, as it can be a very narrow code pathway that is the problem.

          thpr@... and tppublic@...

          I've actually found it to be snappier at lower levels!  I haven't tried making a higher than 7th level character yet.  There are massive changes occurring in the core of PCGen at the moment, I imagine it would be very useful for Tom if you could narrow down exactly when the slowdown started happening.

          > Is it just me, or has PCGen become extremely slow? I'm using the current SVN
          > revision, and when edition characters around 10th level, the programs slows to
          > a crawl. Adding skills or equipping items, for example, can take minutes for
          > one single skill rank or item. I've tried with 522MB or 1024 MB RAM assigned
          > to the Java VM but it doesn't get any better currently. Does anyone else have
          > this problem?
          >
          > Stefan.

              mailto:pcgen_developers-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:pcgen_developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
            I've tried something today after being stopped by an awfully slow program
            again. I was working on a character that I wanted to recreate for some reason.
            I used the current svn revision with the Pathfinder Core data set plus some
            additional campaign data set (but the problem does not stem from those).

            Created a completely new character, added 10 levels of monk - this took the
            Program 6 minutes(!) while once in a while asking for an attribute to
            increase. My machine is not that slow! :) Then adding a monk bonus feat didn't
            even do anything beside freeze the program, and I killed it after about 5
            minutes of waiting.

            The same done with a freshly downloaded 5.16.1 version works fine, responses
            are almost instantaneous. Same data sets.

            Something in the changing architecture must be causing this incredible
            slowdown. As it currently stands, the program is completely unusable for more
            than low-level characters.

            Regards,
            Stefan.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
              Where is the Pathfinder core data set?   I don't see it in the Trunk.

              TP
              thpr@... and tppublic@...

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                Please also delete your pcgen.ini file in your Trunk installation to make sure you are doing an apples-to-apples comparison

                thpr@... and tppublic@...

                I've tried something today after being stopped by an awfully slow program
                again. I was working on a character that I wanted to recreate for some reason.
                I used the current svn revision with the Pathfinder Core data set plus some
                additional campaign data set (but the problem does not stem from those).

                Created a completely new character, added 10 levels of monk - this took the
                Program 6 minutes(!) while once in a while asking for an attribute to
                increase. My machine is not that slow! :) Then adding a monk bonus feat didn't
                even do anything beside freeze the program, and I killed it after about 5
                minutes of waiting.

                The same done with a freshly downloaded 5.16.1 version works fine, responses
                are almost instantaneous. Same data sets.

                Something in the changing architecture must be causing this incredible
                slowdown. As it currently stands, the program is completely unusable for more
                than low-level characters.

                Regards,
                Stefan.

                On Wednesday 09 September 2009 18:18:45 Tom Parker wrote:
                > The primary question on time: "Does 5.16.1 display the same issue or not?"
                >
                > A specific example of how to produce the problem is extremely useful, as it
                >  can be a very narrow code pathway that is the problem.

                > Tom Parker
                >
                > thpr@... and tppublic@...

              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                  On Monday 14 September 2009 15:23:18 Tom Parker wrote:
                  > Where is the Pathfinder core data set? I don't see it in the Trunk.

                  It's currenly only located in the 5.16 branch, under
                  content/outofcycledatasets.

                  On Monday 14 September 2009 15:26:45 Tom Parker wrote:
                  > Please also delete your pcgen.ini file in your Trunk installation to make
                  > sure you are doing an apples-to-apples comparison

                  I used the same pcgen.ini from my home directory for both runs.

                  Stefan.
                • maredudd@blackroot.org
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                    Hi Folks!

                    You can get the OOC Data Set from here:

                    http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/03_get_pcgen.php

                    Maredudd

                    Where is the Pathfinder core data set? I don't see it in the Trunk.

                    TP
                    thpr@... and tppublic@...

                    I've tried something today after being stopped by an awfully slow program
                    again. I was working on a character that I wanted to recreate for some reason.
                    I used the current svn revision with the Pathfinder Core data set plus some
                    additional campaign data set (but the problem does not stem from those).

                    Created a completely new character, added 10 levels of monk - this took the
                    Program 6 minutes(!) while once in a while asking for an attribute to
                    increase. My machine is not that slow! :) Then adding a monk bonus feat didn't
                    even do anything beside freeze the program, and I killed it after about 5
                    minutes of waiting.

                    The same done with a freshly downloaded 5.16.1 version works fine, responses
                    are almost instantaneous. Same data sets.

                    Something in the changing architecture must be causing this incredible
                    slowdown. As it currently stands, the program is completely unusable for more
                    than low-level characters.

                    Regards,
                    Stefan.

                    On Wednesday 09 September 2009 18:18:45 Tom Parker wrote:
                    > The primary question on time: "Does 5.16.1 display the same issue or not?"
                    >
                    > A specific example of how to produce the problem is extremely useful, as it
                    > can be a very narrow code pathway that is the problem.

                    > Tom Parker
                    >
                    > thpr@... and tppublic@...

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                      On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Tom Parker <thpr@...> wrote:

                      > Where is the Pathfinder core data set?   I don't see it in the Trunk.

                      5.16.x branch outofcycledatasets, IIRC.

                      Tir Gwaith
                      PCGen LST Chimp
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                        --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:
                        > Created a completely new character, added 10 levels of monk - this took the
                        > Program 6 minutes(!) while once in a while asking for an attribute to
                        > increase.

                        I have checked in a fix to the largest delay I have in adding Monk levels to a Pathfinder RPG character. Of course, my 6 yr old hardware didn't experience more than two seconds before/after the leveling prompt (and less now), so I still may not be experiencing the same issue you are facing.

                        If the current Trunk is not better, I'm going to have to enlist your help in narrowing down what code (or setting) is causing the problem, as I cannot reproduce the issue to anywhere near minutes.

                        TP.
                      • Stefan Radermacher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 15, 2009
                          I tried some experiments before applying your patch. Did the same with the
                          full 35e set, and the 10 levels of monk were added much faster.

                          On Tuesday 15 September 2009 05:17:25 thpr wrote:
                          > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher
                          <radermacher@...> wrote:
                          > > Created a completely new character, added 10 levels of monk - this took
                          > > the Program 6 minutes(!) while once in a while asking for an attribute to
                          > > increase.
                          >
                          > I have checked in a fix to the largest delay I have in adding Monk levels
                          > to a Pathfinder RPG character. Of course, my 6 yr old hardware didn't
                          > experience more than two seconds before/after the leveling prompt (and
                          > less now), so I still may not be experiencing the same issue you are
                          > facing.
                          >
                          > If the current Trunk is not better, I'm going to have to enlist your help
                          > in narrowing down what code (or setting) is causing the problem, as I
                          > cannot reproduce the issue to anywhere near minutes.
                          >
                          > TP.

                        • Stefan Radermacher
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 15, 2009
                            Oops, that wasn't supposed to go out that early. Hit send when I shouldn't
                            have. :) OK again:

                            I tried some experiments before applying your patch. Did the same with the
                            full 35e set, and the 10 levels of monk were added much faster, but not as
                            fast as with 5.16. With the Pathfinder set it still took minutes. Weird. Then
                            I tried the Pathfinder set with 10 levels of fighter - much faster, but still
                            slow. 10 levels of paladin - just as slow as monk. I wonder what's different
                            about the Pathfinder set that slows this down, but only in the new version of
                            PCGen, and not in 5.16.

                            OK, now applying the patch: OK much faster now both with the monk and paladin
                            levels. It seems that did the trick.

                            Equipping masterwork items and adding skills seems to be OK for now. I will
                            continue testing and report if I find more slowdowns.

                            Thanks for the patch!

                            Regards,
                            Stefan.