Re: [pcgen_developers] Is there a reason to keep the Free Form project vs. a full Maven project

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi Javier,

      Yes there is a good reason for the current format - it works :)

      We have to balance not only having a bunch of Java developers using the
      project but also keeping it easy for non-Java coders, e.g. lst monkeys,
      to contribute their aspects of the project.

      There are also reasons why we have four different test folders
      (different fork/memory separation requirements), why we have plugins
      etc. Happy to go into specifics on the ones that are important to you.

      As I've mentioned before - raise your ideas for change here and we can
      discuss them and their effects. I'm definitely not against changing, but
      want to see what is on the table please.

      Cheer,s
      James.

      On 6/11/2012 5:49 AM javydreamer wrote
      > It might be obvious, but as a new comer it doesn't make sense to me since we are doing all based in Maven.
      >
      > I'm sure there's a reason for it.
      >
      > If not, I'm ready to open an issue and attach a patch.

    • Javier Ortiz
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
        The the goal is not to move into 100% Maven? The difference is a couple of Netbeans folders that marks it as Free Form, nothing else changed. I'm not changing the structure of the project at all.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
          Hi Javier,

          On 6/11/2012 7:57 AM Javier Ortiz wrote

            The the goal is not to move into 100% Maven?

          Yes I am keen to have a simple maven 2 build process. We have been slowly moving towards it, with the autobuild job running entirely on maven 2 now (but calling some ant tasks). I'd quite like the release process to be simplified into a single step maven process also (apart from release notes and upload that is). The current process is documented at http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Release_Instructions

          The difference is a couple of Netbeans folders that marks it as Free Form, nothing else changed. I'm not changing the structure of the project at all.

          That sounds safe enough. How does netbeans figure into this? Will that have any effect on those using Eclipse or IntelliJ as an IDE?

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
            On 05.11.2012 21:57, Javier Ortiz wrote:

            > The the goal is not to move into 100% Maven? The difference is a couple
            > of Netbeans folders that marks it as Free Form, nothing else changed.
            > I'm not changing the structure of the project at all.

            I must admit that I have no idea what maven is about or what "move the
            project into maven" would mean. Can you explain this in a general way?

            Stefan.
          • Javier Ortiz
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
              Basically a netbeans folder and some NetBeans specific files. I already tried it without issues.
            • Javier Ortiz
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
                The project is already Mavenized, is just that the IDE recognizes it as a free form project (the icon with the butterfly) due to some files/folders present in there.

                On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Javier Ortiz <javier.ortiz.78@...> wrote:
                Basically a netbeans folder and some NetBeans specific files. I already tried it without issues.

              • javydreamer
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2012
                  The beauty of Maven project is IDE independence. As long as we do everything in the POM no one will be hurt.