Future Plans and how I can contribute

  • javydreamer
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
      I've looked in the road maps and such and was unable to find this kind of feature, so here's my proposal and hopefully I can get some feedback.

      I found a related issue already out there: http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1041.

      I have lots of experience with a server framework that would take care of the server-client interaction and is written in Java. With some coding you could have the client send updates to the server without a need to send the character file like proposed in the issue.

      What are the plans/thoughts on this?

      Can we get this discussion going?

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012

          This was one of the features we would like. I'm all for getting a proper discussion. :)

          I believe there was mention of a Code Meeting this very weekend, so that'd be the best place to get it into a road map discussion.

          I have a related but non-pcgen program question. How well do you understand Tomcat and Server applications?
          A little background - The webteam is working hard to get some features set up and we believe a solution can be found in 'Liferay' a CMS Portal (All-In-One) Server. We need someone that has experience in dealing with multiple servlets. Apparently Liferay and Hudson don't want to play nice with each other. If you have some knowledge and are willing to give a hand, contact me direct, or jump on our webteam group.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
            Weekends might be hard for me to attend but can try. Is there anyone willing to sponsor this idea into the meeting I can fill with details?
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012

              Based upon this poll 'http://doodle.com/raana5fapckr5t2p#table' - it would appear Today at 3pm (GMT-8) or Saturday (tomorrow at 3PM GMT-8) are the likely times.

              I plan on attending and would be happy to toss your idea into the pool.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012

                I have a number of questions so we can have a productive discussion at the code meeting, so perhaps you can find me on the IRC channel today (I will try to be on from now until meeting this evening)

                Weekends might be hard for me to attend but can try. Is there anyone willing to sponsor this idea into the meeting I can fill with details?

              • Javier Ortiz
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Here's my idea:

                  Use Marauroa as a server-client mechanism. I know, if you look at the link it shows an RPG game. What I use from them is their server-client. A stable, network traffic efficient, highly configurable system, which can be used for more than what they use it for. I know the code well as I have been using for many of my game related applications and even have an enhanced version of it that's even easier to incorporate: Simple Marauroa. I also documented everything I've learned about the system in this wiki.

                  This will allow almost instantaneous updates from client to server and vice versa. With the system in place the experience can be enhanced with visuals, sounds, etc as you can see in the Marauroa link.

                  Are there any questions you might have that I can answer before hand?

                • Javier Ortiz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                    I'm in the channel right now.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                      I closed the IRC channel by mistake. What was that class again for importing characters?
                    • javydreamer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012
                        Any feedback from the meeting?

                        I started working from the code/method you pointed out, but I need to provide a couple more parameters. I'll need to know how to load a DataSet. I guess I can pass null to the UI parameter, or not?

                        ALso I'll like to get pointed to how plugins can be added, unless you think there's no way to do this via a plug-in.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2012

                          Yes, there was pretty much a positive reception to the idea. James should be posting the log of the meeting soon.

                          The rest, you'll need a code monkey to reply.

                          Cheers,