Re: [pcgen_developers] Re: Vim bundle for pcgen

  • Henk Slaaf
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
      On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

      Greetings,
      Never used pathogen or github, so I just copied the two files into my C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\ftdetect and ftplugin directories appropriately... (sorry, windows user, though not totally sure why I havent rebuilt this PC as linux yet)

      Hey Dave,

      That should work :)

      I get the fancy tab format (':set list' format?) but when I press 'F2' on a list file I get:
      Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1

      Mmm, this is a Perl error. It uses a perl command to rewrite the buffer.

      I'll see if I can rewrite this into inline Perl (vim+perl), but that would add the prereq of having a Vim with Perl bindings installed.

      But now we have the requirement to have Perl installed, so, well :)

      I didn't test this on Windows, so maybe you can help me out debugging this?

      Now I had a pcgen.vim in my syntax directory (temporarily disabled to test this, and I'd a previous version of your F2/F3 macros already defined in my _vimrc (again, temporarily disabled to test this) and the old versions work fine (on the same lst file too), so perhaps some manual install instructions are needed?

      Yeah, the syntax file might be useful as an include. I'll add manual instructions.

      You should try to use pathogen. It really cleans up the .vim area. I didn't use it until a while ago and it is really useful as a workspace cleaner.

      Best,

      Henk
    • Henk Slaaf
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012

        Hey Dave,

        I moved the Perl execution to in-line Perl. You now need Vim Perl bindings to make things work, but there's no more chance of Windows/Linux command line conflicts.

        It should now work anywhere when Perl bindings are compiled in.

        Best,

        Henk
      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
          Greetings,
          Replaced the ftplugin/pcgen.vim with your latest version, and that works just fine :-) Thank you!

          Happy to help with debug/test, but you've fixed it, so ... done!

          I'm using the syntax file from:
          http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/ressources/vimfiles/syntax/pcgen.vim
          if that helps?

          Cheers
          Dave

          --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Henk Slaaf <henk@...> wrote:

          > Hey Dave,
          >
          > I moved the Perl execution to in-line Perl. You now need Vim Perl bindings
          > to make things work, but there's no more chance of Windows/Linux command
          > line conflicts.
          >
          > It should now work anywhere when Perl bindings are compiled in.
          >

          > Best,
          >
          > Henk

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
            Greetings,
            Just moved to a windows 7 box, and while I have got ActivePerl (5.16.3) installed, the standard vim 7.3 has perl built in anyway, but looks like vim isn't detecting perl at all.

            'F2' errors:

            Error detected while processing function pcgen#tabbedToMultiLine:
            Line 2:
            You need vim compiled with Perl support

            Any suggestions?

            --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            > Replaced the ftplugin/pcgen.vim with your latest version, and that works just fine :-) Thank you!
            >
            > Happy to help with debug/test, but you've fixed it, so ... done!
            >
            > I'm using the syntax file from:
            > http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/ressources/vimfiles/syntax/pcgen.vim
            > if that helps?
            >
            > Cheers
            > Dave
            >
            > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Henk Slaaf <henk@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Dave,
            > >
            > > I moved the Perl execution to in-line Perl. You now need Vim Perl bindings
            > > to make things work, but there's no more chance of Windows/Linux command
            > > line conflicts.
            > >
            > > It should now work anywhere when Perl bindings are compiled in.
            > >

            > > Best,
            > >
            > > Henk

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
              ah, sorted - Vim7 needs perl 5.12, had to dig out the old version from my old pc as ActivePerl wont let you download older versions...

              --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              > Just moved to a windows 7 box, and while I have got ActivePerl (5.16.3) installed, the standard vim 7.3 has perl built in anyway, but looks like vim isn't detecting perl at all.
              >
              > 'F2' errors:
              >
              > Error detected while processing function pcgen#tabbedToMultiLine:
              > Line 2:
              > You need vim compiled with Perl support
              >
              > Any suggestions?
              >

              > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Greetings,
              > > Replaced the ftplugin/pcgen.vim with your latest version, and that works just fine :-) Thank you!
              > >
              > > Happy to help with debug/test, but you've fixed it, so ... done!
              > >
              > > I'm using the syntax file from:
              > > http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/ressources/vimfiles/syntax/pcgen.vim
              > > if that helps?
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Dave
              > >
              > > --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Henk Slaaf <henk@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey Dave,
              > > >
              > > > I moved the Perl execution to in-line Perl. You now need Vim Perl bindings
              > > > to make things work, but there's no more chance of Windows/Linux command
              > > > line conflicts.
              > > >
              > > > It should now work anywhere when Perl bindings are compiled in.
              > > >

              > > > Best,
              > > >
              > > > Henk

            • Henk Slaaf
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
                On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                ah, sorted - Vim7 needs perl 5.12, had to dig out the old version from my old pc as ActivePerl wont let you download older versions...

                Hey Dave!

                Nice to hear that someone is using the VIM bundle :)

                We might want to add a few more functions to the VIM editor. Please let me know if you have patches, or please use the github.com functionality to ask me to pull them.

                Best,

                Henk
              • dave_the_ferret
                Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2014
                • 1 Attachment
                • 27 KB
                Greetings,

                I've finally gotten around to updating the pcgen.vim (VIM editor syntax file) to handle the tags I've seen in 6.2.1 - it's probably not complete, and certainly still shows some PRE in red, not sure if that's intentional or something I've missed, but it's a different colouring to the missing tokens I've now fixed.

                Enjoy!
                Dave / Ferret