PCGen 5.17.15 is out

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 21, 2012
      Hi,

      I have built, tested and uploaded the 5.17.15 alpha release. Release
      notes are also available for download.

      It is now active and ready for download, just the Mac installer and
      press releases to go.

      https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.15%20Alpha/

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21, 2012
        Hi Folks!

        I'll get the Mac Install file out this evening (EDT).

        Maredudd

        On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:15 AM, James Dempsey wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have built, tested and uploaded the 5.17.15 alpha release. Release
        > notes are also available for download.
        >
        > It is now active and ready for download, just the Mac installer and
        > press releases to go.
        >
        > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.15%20Alpha/
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James Dempsey
        > PCGen Code SB

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 21, 2012
          And I'll get the press announces out tomorrow after the Mac install file is ready.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)

          For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)
          On 6/21/2012 9:56 AM, Eric C Smith wrote:
          Hi Folks!

          I'll get the Mac Install file out this evening (EDT).

          Maredudd

          On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:15 AM, James Dempsey wrote:

          Hi,

          I have built, tested and uploaded the 5.17.15 alpha release. Release
          notes are also available for download.

          It is now active and ready for download, just the Mac installer and
          press releases to go.

          https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.15%20Alpha/

              pcgen_bod-digest@yahoogroups.com
              pcgen_bod-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21, 2012
            The Mac Install file is now up!

            Eric

            On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:15 AM, James Dempsey wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have built, tested and uploaded the 5.17.15 alpha release. Release
            > notes are also available for download.
            >
            > It is now active and ready for download, just the Mac installer and
            > press releases to go.
            >
            > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.15%20Alpha/
            >
            > Cheers,
            > James Dempsey
            > PCGen Code SB

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22, 2012
              PCGen v5.17.15 is an alpha release with a difference.

              PCGen v5.17.15 continues to round out the new UI and stabilise the feature set as we head for a beta release soon. Some notable changes are:

              New Temporary Bonuses tab
              Choices are back on the Abilities tab
              Elemental wizards class bonuses to skills

              The new user interface does most of what you are used to, but will not initially support NPC generation and LST editor functionality. We are almost done with the behind the scenes work for the next big version too, we will soon be going to beta and then aiming for a new production release. We welcome your input, just comment on the wiki pages or post to the PCGen mailing list.

              PCGen is an RPG character generator and maintenance program (d20 systems). All datafiles are ASCII text files so they can be modified by users for their own campaigns.

              For more information about PCGen, join us at our Yahoo group:

              or visit our website:
              http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

              or our wiki:
              http://wiki.pcgen.org/

              Download your free copy:
              https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.15%20Alpha/

              You can see all of the changes included in this release by checking out the release notes:
              http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/installers/release-notes/pcgen-release-notes-51715.html

              Trackers (JIRA) bugs open for the New UI:
              http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10310

              -- david
              Papa.DRB

              My better half and me (jpg)

              For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

            • John Carimando
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22, 2012
              For the new version of PCGen I would like to design a new loading graphic. I need some info before I can get started, can anyone help me answer these questions?

              What has to be shown in the loading graphic? (Vitruvian Man, "PCGen", version number...)
              Where do I get the original graphic files?
              What is the font? Can I get a copy? Does it matter? (I personally do not like the font)
              Does it have to be rectangular or can it have an alpha channel like
              the attached example?
              What are the max pixel dimensions?
              Can it be animated?
              Can I incorporate the dynamic elements into the design?
              The loading bar, does it have to be at the bottom and look generic?
              Can I leave a space for the version number so it can be written out by the program?

              Is there anything else that I am missing?

              Thanks for all your assistance,

              John Carimando
              Message 7 of 9 , Jun 23, 2012
                Hi John,

                On 23/06/2012 1:30 AM John Carimando wrote
                <*>[Attachment(s) from John Carimando included below]

                For the new version of PCGen I would like to design a new loading graphic. I need some info before I can get started, can anyone help me answer these questions?

                What has to be shown in the loading graphic? (Vitruvian Man, "PCGen", version number...)
                The PCGen logo, PCGen and the state : Alpha, Beta or the major version. We have included the ennie on previous screens - it is a pretty cool thing, but it may be getting to time to retire it now. I'm not sure what others feel about that though.

                Some examples of what we have are: Alpha splash, beta splash, 5.16 splash.
                Where do I get the original graphic files?
                Eddy Anthony would be the one to talk to there IIRC. I've copied him in.
                What is the font? Can I get a copy? Does it matter? (I personally do not like the font)
                I think the fonts works well for that purpose :) However I think a change of font would be fine.

                Does it have to be rectangular or can it have an alpha channel like
                the attached example?
                We may be able to do alpha channel work - but I'd have to try it out. Connor might be able to comment on that one.
                What are the max pixel dimensions?
                Personally I wouldn't want it too big. Our minimum screen resolution is 1024 x 600. My personal view is that it shouldn't be a full screen one like a game load or the like.
                Can it be animated?
                We'd have to do that by hand, so unless Connor volunteers, I'll say no :)
                Can I incorporate the dynamic elements into the design?

                Sure
                The loading bar, does it have to be at the bottom and look generic?
                It doesn't have to be at the bottom, but it does have to look generic.
                Can I leave a space for the version number so it can be written out by the program?

                Yep.

                Is there anything else that I am missing?

                Not that I can see :)

              • Connor Petty
                Message 8 of 9 , Jun 26, 2012
                  On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

[...]

                  Agreed.
                  Does it have to be rectangular or can it have an alpha channel like
                  the attached example?
                  We may be able to do alpha channel work - but I'd have to try it out. Connor might be able to comment on that one.

                  I don't have much experience with this but from what I can tell the ability to control window shape and translucency are not officially supported in the version of java we are releasing for.
                  What are the max pixel dimensions?
                  Personally I wouldn't want it too big. Our minimum screen resolution is 1024 x 600. My personal view is that it shouldn't be a full screen one like a game load or the like.

                  IMHO the splash screen shouldn't take up more than half of the screen. So 512 x 300 or similar size would be my preference.
                  Can it be animated?
                  We'd have to do that by hand, so unless Connor volunteers, I'll say no :)

                   Yes it can be animated to an extent.The easiest way I can think of doing this is to use an animated GIF. If you want a non-repeating animation we would need each individual image of the animation so it can be animated by hand. It is a little work but certainly doable :)
                  Can I incorporate the dynamic elements into the design?

                  Sure
                  The loading bar, does it have to be at the bottom and look generic?
                  It doesn't have to be at the bottom, but it does have to look generic.

                  The progress bar can be placed anywhere and look like anything; it need not be generic. Although anything NOT generic would need to be drawn from the code so try not to get too crazy with the design :). Anything with gradients and textures would be very easy. Alphas should be OK.
                  Can I leave a space for the version number so it can be written out by the program?

                  Yep.

                  Yes please.
                  Is there anything else that I am missing?

                  Not that I can see :)

                  Best Regards,
                  Connor Petty
                • John Carimando
                  Message 9 of 9 , Jun 26, 2012

                    I think I have enough feedback to start. I have some images to work with and will try to get some comps out soon. I will also have some animation to review!