Re: [pcgen_developers] Can someone explain ASPECT?

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2012
      On 08.05.2012 12:26, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
      > Commenting on a post I just made on the pcgen_developer mailing list
      > where I wrote about the Checkbox ASPECT mechanism. First a quote from there:

      oops, that was supposed to go to _exp.
    • Henk Slaaf
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2012
        On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:

        On 07.05.2012 17:18, Henk Slaaf wrote:
        > I run into ASPECT sometimes, but the documentation on the LST index
        > <http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesability.html#ASPECT>

        > is not sufficient to understand it.
        >
        > Can someone explain please?

        One useful aspect of ASPECT (hah!) is that you can define various stuff
        to be checked upon and used in the output sheet. There are, for example,
        two ASPECT uses I came up with for the Pathfinder data sets:

        1) Creating checkbox lists for x/day use abilities: an ability that has
        only a certain number of uses or rounds per day can easily be identified
        as such, so that the output sheet can create a box with checkboxes to
        tick off. This is done by adding the type "CheckList" to an ability's
        TYPE tag, and adding two ASPECT tags:

        Sweet!

        2) Collecting conditional bonuses to saving throws: lots of abilities
        have saving throw bonuses that only apply to some saves, but not all, so
        they cannot be added into the general save values. We have a large box
        where players can record their own conditional bonuses, but why do it
        manually when PCGen can do it for you. This is done by adding the type
        "SaveBonus" to an ability's TYPE tag, and adding this ASPECT tag:

        ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>
        or
        ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>|<variables...>

        where <text> reads something like "+2 vs. poison" or "+%1 vs. fear
        effects" with an appropriate variable listed. PCGen can then collect
        these and print them in the box.

        Mother of CHOOSE:DEITY|1 ! That is useful.

        Can you add TYPE? Or do we just add "trait bonus" in the text?

        Best,

        Henk
      • Henk Slaaf
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2012
          2) Collecting conditional bonuses to saving throws: lots of abilities
          have saving throw bonuses that only apply to some saves, but not all, so
          they cannot be added into the general save values. We have a large box
          where players can record their own conditional bonuses, but why do it
          manually when PCGen can do it for you. This is done by adding the type
          "SaveBonus" to an ability's TYPE tag, and adding this ASPECT tag:

          ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>
          or
          ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>|<variables...>

          where <text> reads something like "+2 vs. poison" or "+%1 vs. fear
          effects" with an appropriate variable listed. PCGen can then collect
          these and print them in the box.

          Am I right that this is currently not in the Standard XSL?

          Best,

          Henk