Re: [pcgen_developers] Can someone explain ASPECT?

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2012
      On 07.05.2012 17:18, Henk Slaaf wrote:
      > I run into ASPECT sometimes, but the documentation on the LST index
      > <http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesability.html#ASPECT>
      > is not sufficient to understand it.
      >
      > Can someone explain please?

      One useful aspect of ASPECT (hah!) is that you can define various stuff
      to be checked upon and used in the output sheet. There are, for example,
      two ASPECT uses I came up with for the Pathfinder data sets:

      1) Creating checkbox lists for x/day use abilities: an ability that has
      only a certain number of uses or rounds per day can easily be identified
      as such, so that the output sheet can create a box with checkboxes to
      tick off. This is done by adding the type "CheckList" to an ability's
      TYPE tag, and adding two ASPECT tags:

      ASPECT:CheckType|<text>
      ASPECT:CheckCount|%1|<formula>

      where <text> says something like "Uses per day" or "Rounds per day", as
      appropriate for the ability, and <formula> is the formula to determine
      the number of uses or rounds or what fits the <text>, most often it's
      just a variable calculated somewhere in the ability.

      The output sheets know this trick and put a box with checkboxes and
      ability description on the front sheet.

      2) Collecting conditional bonuses to saving throws: lots of abilities
      have saving throw bonuses that only apply to some saves, but not all, so
      they cannot be added into the general save values. We have a large box
      where players can record their own conditional bonuses, but why do it
      manually when PCGen can do it for you. This is done by adding the type
      "SaveBonus" to an ability's TYPE tag, and adding this ASPECT tag:

      ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>
      or
      ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>|<variables...>

      where <text> reads something like "+2 vs. poison" or "+%1 vs. fear
      effects" with an appropriate variable listed. PCGen can then collect
      these and print them in the box.

      These are just examples, much more is possible with this tag, but these
      already in use in the Pathfinder data sets.

      Regards,
      Stefan.
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2012
        Commenting on a post I just made on the pcgen_developer mailing list
        where I wrote about the Checkbox ASPECT mechanism. First a quote from there:

        > One useful aspect of ASPECT (hah!) is that you can define various stuff
        > to be checked upon and used in the output sheet. There are, for example,
        > two ASPECT uses I came up with for the Pathfinder data sets:
        >
        > 1) Creating checkbox lists for x/day use abilities: an ability that has
        > only a certain number of uses or rounds per day can easily be identified
        > as such, so that the output sheet can create a box with checkboxes to
        > tick off. This is done by adding the type "CheckList" to an ability's
        > TYPE tag, and adding two ASPECT tags:
        >
        > ASPECT:CheckType|<text>
        > ASPECT:CheckCount|%1|<formula>
        >
        > where <text> says something like "Uses per day" or "Rounds per day", as
        > appropriate for the ability, and <formula> is the formula to determine
        > the number of uses or rounds or what fits the <text>, most often it's
        > just a variable calculated somewhere in the ability.
        >
        > The output sheets know this trick and put a box with checkboxes and
        > ability description on the front sheet.

        This got me thinking if it's possible to consolidate all the simple
        uses/rounds per day abilities that use this mechanism with other
        abilities that use checkboxes into one template. This way we would not
        need to hardcode stuff like channel energy or rage or bardic performance
        in the output sheets and in base.xml, it could all be handled in the
        CheckList template.

        Another thing I like to do on my character sheets with these kind of
        abilities is list all the "child abilities" in the checkbox box for the
        "master ability", i.e. list rage powers in the rage box, or bardic
        performance use cases in the bardic performance box. You can see what I
        mean by looking at this barbarian sheet:
        http://forum.zaister.de/misc.php?item=79&download=1.

        Now, how can the child abilities be associated with their master
        ability? Another use for ASPECT. We add something like
        ASPECT:MasterAbility|Rage to the "master ability" and
        ASPECT:ChildAbility|Rage to the child abilities. The master ability will
        also need to get the appropriate CheckType and CheckCount ASPECTs. The
        CheckList template can then iterate over all abilities and test for the
        presence of the CheckType aspect (this way it might even be possible to
        eliminate the need for the CheckList TYPE). When it finds an ability
        with that ASPECT it sets up a new box with the checkbox list and the
        description of the master ability. Then it iterates again over the
        abilities and checks for the presence of a ChildAbility ASPECT that
        corresponds to the master ability's MasterAbility ASPECT, and add those
        that match to the box.

        In this way, I thing a lot of hard-coded stuff could be consolidated and
        the child ability mechanism could be used for more abilities like
        alchemist bombs, and more.

        What do you think?

        Regards
        Stefan
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2012
          On 08.05.2012 12:26, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
          > Commenting on a post I just made on the pcgen_developer mailing list
          > where I wrote about the Checkbox ASPECT mechanism. First a quote from there:

          oops, that was supposed to go to _exp.
        • Henk Slaaf
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2012
            On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:

            On 07.05.2012 17:18, Henk Slaaf wrote:
            > I run into ASPECT sometimes, but the documentation on the LST index
            > <http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesability.html#ASPECT>

            > is not sufficient to understand it.
            >
            > Can someone explain please?

            One useful aspect of ASPECT (hah!) is that you can define various stuff
            to be checked upon and used in the output sheet. There are, for example,
            two ASPECT uses I came up with for the Pathfinder data sets:

            1) Creating checkbox lists for x/day use abilities: an ability that has
            only a certain number of uses or rounds per day can easily be identified
            as such, so that the output sheet can create a box with checkboxes to
            tick off. This is done by adding the type "CheckList" to an ability's
            TYPE tag, and adding two ASPECT tags:

            Sweet!

            2) Collecting conditional bonuses to saving throws: lots of abilities
            have saving throw bonuses that only apply to some saves, but not all, so
            they cannot be added into the general save values. We have a large box
            where players can record their own conditional bonuses, but why do it
            manually when PCGen can do it for you. This is done by adding the type
            "SaveBonus" to an ability's TYPE tag, and adding this ASPECT tag:

            ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>
            or
            ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>|<variables...>

            where <text> reads something like "+2 vs. poison" or "+%1 vs. fear
            effects" with an appropriate variable listed. PCGen can then collect
            these and print them in the box.

            Mother of CHOOSE:DEITY|1 ! That is useful.

            Can you add TYPE? Or do we just add "trait bonus" in the text?

            Best,

            Henk
          • Henk Slaaf
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8, 2012
              2) Collecting conditional bonuses to saving throws: lots of abilities
              have saving throw bonuses that only apply to some saves, but not all, so
              they cannot be added into the general save values. We have a large box
              where players can record their own conditional bonuses, but why do it
              manually when PCGen can do it for you. This is done by adding the type
              "SaveBonus" to an ability's TYPE tag, and adding this ASPECT tag:

              ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>
              or
              ASPECT:SaveBonus|<text>|<variables...>

              where <text> reads something like "+2 vs. poison" or "+%1 vs. fear
              effects" with an appropriate variable listed. PCGen can then collect
              these and print them in the box.

              Am I right that this is currently not in the Standard XSL?

              Best,

              Henk