Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Use of TOTAL tag within CONTAINS (equipment list)

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2012
      Hi Uncle,

      I haven't messed with CONTAINS much, so I'm going to push this over to the code monkeys as they can at least look at the code and explain it.

      Tom/James (or any other code monkey) - Uncle would like to raise an issue with the CONTAINS token, he feels it isn't working as 'advertised' and would like an explanation of how it is supposed to work. Uncle is not currently on the Dev list, if you could reply to him as well, that'd be awesome.

      Cheers,

      On 3/8/2012 3:22 PM, UnclePete wrote:
      I've been experimenting with the TOTAL within CONTAINS, and the examples
      I've used (see below) don't work. You could say they're TOTALly
      useless...:)

      I'd really appreciate some help, or even a coder's explanation of how
      TOTAL works so I can raise a change request.

      Thanks - Pete

      On 03/07/2012 12:15 PM, UnclePete wrote:

      Evening All.

      I wish to alter the function of the "Efficient Quiver" to match our
      house rules.

      I have created a "Very Efficient Quiver" which is apparently working
      correctly in regard to what items are able to be placed in the
      container, but I'm still not sure that the quantities are working
      correctly.

      Basically, I'm after the correct coding for the 'CONTAINS' tag, but
      the following explains why:

      House rules state that arrow=wand; javelin=rod; and staff = quarterstaff

      The efficient quiver (Pathfinder rules) states that pocket 1 contains
      60 arrow-like objects; pocket 2 contains 18 javelin-like objects; and
      pocket 3 contains 6 staff-like objects

      Our local rules quiver needs to be (max 60 of wand and/or arrow) +
      (max 18 of Javelin and/or rod) + (max 6 of bow and/or staff and/or
      spear)

      How do I code the above into the CONTAINS tag?

      Here's the standard Efficient Quiver tag -
      CONTAINS:*UNLIM|Arrow=60|Javelin=18|Total=6|Bow=6|Spear=6|Staff=6

      What I've done is -
      CONTAINS:*UNLIM|Total=84|Wand=60|Arrow=60|Javelin=18|Rod=18|Total=6|Bow=6|Spear=6|Staff=6

      My attempt works as far as what item type is put into the container
      (ie I can place wands and rods into it). I'd like to limit each item
      type if possible.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Pete

          PCGenListFileHelp-digest@yahoogroups.com
          PCGenListFileHelp-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2012
        I'm re-replying to this with a note for the permanent archives that does not contain email addresses. I have deleted the original messages from the list since Yahoo doesn't seem to be appropriately filtering out e-mail addresses in replies (thought it did that)

        Apologies to the mail subscribers who receive this multiple times.

        First, this looks like a data bug in the Pathfinder data in how TOTAL is used. TOTAL applies to the ENTIRE tag, and is not order dependent... so the quiver as coded will not work with as the efficient quiver as defined in this email.

        Second, I'm not sure the code can do what is being asked. I believe we need a FREQ to allow contains to look something like:

        CONTAINS:*UNLIM|Wand,Arrow=60|Javelin,Rod=18|Bow,Spear,Staff=6

        Let me add one other thing. You can also mod things to create a new type... which while annoying does make it work. (And probably what will have to be done in Pathfinder, just like the RSRD uses the Ammunition, Thrown and Weapon types for what is in Efficient Quiver)

        Response from original user:

        > Thanks for the replies.
        >
        > Yes, I can (and probably will) use a mod, but I find them hard to
        > use while experimenting with stuff.
        >
        > My summary of your replies is that I need to make one FREQ to add
        > the new functionality (BTW, I like your approach to the syntax);
        > and one bug report about the TOTAL tag for the Efficient Quiver in
        > the Pathfinder data. Is that correct?

        My final response:

        correct on both counts.