Code/Arch Team Meeting 6 PM Eastern, Fri March 9, 2012.

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2012
      Since I have seen no comments or objections to the time, we are scheduled for 6 PM Eastern Time, Friday March 9, 2012.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2012

        The meeting is starting in 5 minutes. Would be great if anyone who is
        free could drop in, even if only for a short time.

        On 7/03/2012 12:18 PM thpr wrote
        > Since I have seen no comments or objections to the time, we are scheduled for 6 PM Eastern Time, Friday March 9, 2012.
        >
        > TP.

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2012
          What is the irc info for the meeting?

          Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2012

              On 7/03/2012 12:18 PM thpr wrote
              > Since I have seen no comments or objections to the time, we are scheduled for 6 PM Eastern Time, Friday March 9, 2012.

              I've posted the log to the wiki at
              http://wiki.pcgen.org/Dev_Meeting_Log_20120309

              Cheers
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
                Apologies for missing this, was straight ino qcon London after my flight and promptly slept for 15 hours after that :-|

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2012

                  So a couple of questions/comments from the meeting log:

                  1.) Overall comment - That was a really useful read and it's great to
                  see some more monolithic stuff get split out!

                  It would be good if the core pieces of the discussion were captured
                  and added to the Architecture section in the wiki. Connor is this
                  something you could tackle alongside Tom? If this is too much like
                  'day job' work then ignore me, the meeting log captures things well
                  enough that we can point developers at it.

                  2.) ReferenceFacade question:

                  (10:17 AM) cpmeister: right now there are a few classes which form the
                  base of the event/listener system
                  (10:18 AM) cpmeister: one of them is the ReferenceFacade, which simply
                  holds a reference to an object and the UI can attach listeners to it
                  when the reference changes
                  (10:18 AM) [Arch_SB]thpr: That would be for something like Race?
                  (which the PC can have only one)?
                  (10:18 AM) cpmeister: indeed
                  (10:19 AM) cpmeister: its up to the facade layer implementation to
                  make sure that these references stay up to date when changes in the
                  core occur
                  (10:20 AM) James[Code_SB]: One important feature is that the reference
                  detects if the set is change and only fires events when a change
                  happens

                  Connor states that "its up to the facade layer implementation to make
                  sure that these references stay up to date when changes in the core
                  occur". Is this something that we can guide the developers to
                  remember by enforcing a contract (perhaps an interface) here?

                  3.) LstSystemLoader Deprecation

                  (10:59 AM) cpmeister: well, the new loaders are composed of code
                  copied from the LstSystemLoader, so the LstSystemLoader is also
                  deprecated
                  (11:00 AM) [Arch_SB]thpr: ok
                  (11:00 AM) cpmeister: the loading process is the same, but the code
                  has just moved
                  (11:01 AM) [Arch_SB]thpr: I see, so CampaignFileLoader and
                  SourceFileLoader at this point
                  (11:01 AM) [Arch_SB]thpr: and GameModeFileLoader
                  (11:01 AM) cpmeister: yes

                  I noticed this in the code when some new deprecation warnings popped
                  up. Sadly the LstSystemLoader javadoc didn't tell me what it had been
                  replaced by ;-). I assume it's OK if I reference the 3 new classes in
                  the Javadoc for others to follow?

                  That's all from me for now, hopefully will not be sleeping off jetlag
                  for the next one!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 11, 2012
                    --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > So a couple of questions/comments from the meeting log:
                    >
                    > 1.) Overall comment - That was a really useful read and it's great to
                    > see some more monolithic stuff get split out!

                    SOMETHING needs to make it onto the Wiki; IMHO the "why" of the decisions is not best captured in Javadoc - it needs to be at a higher level.

                    > 2.) ReferenceFacade question:
                    >
                    > Connor states that "its up to the facade layer implementation to make
                    > sure that these references stay up to date when changes in the core
                    > occur". Is this something that we can guide the developers to
                    > remember by enforcing a contract (perhaps an interface) here?

                    I'm not sure we want a contract there - I tend to try to avoid creating situations like that (because unless it's a template, it's forgotten anyway, and templates can produce problems from forcing a certain hierarchy and certain assumptions - they are good in certain cases, but I'm not sure it's the best solution here)

                    I think the solution here is to take the event driven core (Facets) and attach it to the event-desiring UI. Right now, PlayerCharacter.java is a disservice in this, in that it basically presents a static front (basically no events as passed out of the facets).

                    As the facets are updated to indicate what really is the presentation (output) layer vs. the core facets, then I think it makes sense to have the Facades directly subscribing to core events.

                    > 3.) LstSystemLoader Deprecation
                    >
                    > I noticed this in the code when some new deprecation warnings popped
                    > up. Sadly the LstSystemLoader javadoc didn't tell me what it had been
                    > replaced by ;-). I assume it's OK if I reference the 3 new classes in
                    > the Javadoc for others to follow?

                    I tend to agree here. Having a pointer as to where things go should always be a requirement when things are deprecated.

                    We also have some ambiguity in what it means to be deprecated. I'm not terribly thrilled with "preventive deprecation" (as we seem to have in SettingsHandler), when there is no place to point and say "this method is now over here". I'd rather stick to deprecated means there is already another way to do it, so we don't have warnings that really can't be fixed.

                    For those that don't like my perspective on deprecation of SettingsHandler, go un-deprecate it and look at the change in warning count in pcgen.gui2.* ... the hundreds (thousands?) of warning messages that disappear then allows the few dozen remaining warnings to stand out, some of which need some analysis as to whether they are real problems... (I think some are problems, but I sense they are hidden in the overwhelming list of deprecation warnings)