SettingsHandler deprecation

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
      Been looking at warnings in PCGen and find that we have a LOT that are being triggered by the deprecation of SettingsHandler. IS that something we are intending to remove in the short term?

      I'm concerned that having those present is hiding things that we would otherwise potentially notice and address (but currently are flooding the warning screen.

      TP.
    • Connor Petty
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
        On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM, thpr <thpr@...> wrote:

        Been looking at warnings in PCGen and find that we have a LOT that are being triggered by the deprecation of SettingsHandler. IS that something we are intending to remove in the short term?

        I'm concerned that having those present is hiding things that we would otherwise potentially notice and address (but currently are flooding the warning screen.

        TP.

        Hi Tom,
        The SettingsHandler is deprecated because the new way to save and store general preferences and properties is through the PropertyContext. While the SettingsHandler is not going to fazed out in the short term, the deprecation serves as a reminder that new properties should be added through the PCGenSettings class rather than the SettingsHandler. For the most part, these warnings can be seen as legitimate since any place in the code that uses SettingsHandler for properties should be changed. There are a few exceptions, like set/getGame() which IMO shouldn't be in the SettingsHandler in the first place. If you think that the deprecation causes too many problems what alternatives would you suggest?

        --
        Best Regards,
        Connor Petty
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
          So I've been polishing out warnings in gui2 and finding a lot of warning items of unused variables, methods and the like (in addition to the masking and @Overrides I added earlier in the week).  I'm wondering if those are being swamped by the SettingsHandler messages.

          For the moment, I'd wonder if we should take out the deprecation, and just ensure we are clearly communicating somewhere that SettingsHandler shouldn't be added to.  I'm not a fan of having it deprecated for multiple releases when it clearly is still largely used and is still very big as far as classes go.  It spreads around thousands of warnings, and I'm not sure that's worth a notification that we eventually want to get away from it.

          Also, agree with you that the game mode items shouldn't be in SettingsHandler.  That's my next focus after the cloning stuff in the core.

          Thanks.