Re: [pcgen_developers] Re: proposal: network data installs

  • Devon Jones
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6 11:42 AM
      On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      My comments inline.

      A) Drive most if not all data set development to happen against the current pcgen, not the alpha version. This is done so we can get data sets out to users ASAP.

      Data sets that require code patches to work should use the same mechanism, but against the alpha version. Alpha code builds will use the latest data in alpha. If there is no alpha build of a book, then it will use the latest from stable.

      Comment: I believe this is - in theory - what we are doing. However, we have had 5.17.x for a LONG time, so it has hobbled our ability to use the last stable as a foundation due to # of features in 5.17 (many of which are for Pathfinder)

      Correct, CDOM and the new UI were a massive (but necessary) reengineering effort.  I don't think we'll go through a long process like that again..

      Yeah.  Considering that CDOM started as a collaobration between tom and myself /before/ I left.  We want smaller bites.  That being said, so much of the code was decrepit that it needed to happen.

      Yep, we could advertise it better in the new UI though (a big install new data button), http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1192

      Exactly

      I've added this to the long term roadmap on the Wiki.  There are certainly ways of doing this, but as Tom states, the code base needs further restructuring and we also have to be very careful about security and central hosting/bandwidth infrastructure (sourceforge might not be able to support this type of updating).

      Yes, this could cost us money.  But, frankly, so could the data thing.

      I think as long as the UI _clearly_ advertised the existence of these data sets then it wouldn't hugely matter to most publishers where the physical data was stored. But indeed we would need to discuss this with publishers as many of them allow PCGen to create/publish datasets with the understanding that it helps drive sales of the actual physical books for them.

      Agreed.  I also think this can be sold to publishers easily.  Your data sets get out faster this way.

       Yes, we'd have to be very careful about privacy etc here, but this is a long term goal I want PCGen to achieve.  I'll add that I'd like to see *opt in* ability for PCGen to gather *anonymous* usage stats.

      Yeah.  That being said, a huge collection of characters could go a long way to ensuring we know the consequences of every syntax change.  We certainly want to do it with permission.

      Devon