Other potential cleanup in AbilityToken

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2009
      While we're talking about cleanup, here are a few other items to see if they produce controversy or not (I suspect these are a lot more innocent than the last group, but safer to ask :) )

      There are also missed opportunities to clean up AbilityToken

      (1) String Concatenation not cleaned up

      private String getRetString(String tokenSource, PlayerCharacter pc,
      ExportHandler eh, int abilityIndex, List<Ability> aList)
      {
      String retString = "";
      lots of if statements that do retString +=

      Since these concatenations are guaranteed to concatenate to an empty string, and only one concatenation is ever possible, it's confusing to use concatenation. (If more than one was possible, one should use StringBuilder rather than string concatenation). Assignment should be used instead, as it is more clear as to the behavior, and also a LOT faster.

      (2) StringBuffer still used rather than StringBuilder

      StringBuffer buff = new StringBuffer();

      Use StringBuilder in place of StringBuffer (StringBuilder is not thread safe, but is faster)

      (3) Private method with unused argument

      getHasAspectString on line 584 is a private method that never uses the PlayerCharacter method argument. The "pc" method argument should be deleted.

      (4) local variable hides field

      On line 628 is abilityList used as a local variable. This is confusing because it is hiding the abilityList field in the class. Such local variable hiding a field should be avoided.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21, 2009
        2009/8/20 thpr <thpr@...>:
        > (1) String Concatenation not cleaned up
        >
        > private String getRetString(String tokenSource,
        > PlayerCharacter pc,
        > ExportHandler eh,
        > int abilityIndex,
        > List<Ability> aList) {
        > String retString = "";
        > lots of if statements that do retString +=
        >
        > Since these concatenations are guaranteed to concatenate to an empty string,
        > and only one concatenation is ever possible, it's confusing to use
        > concatenation. (If more than one was possible, one should use StringBuilder
        > rather than string concatenation). Assignment should be used instead, as it
        > is more clear as to the behavior, and also a LOT faster.

        Absolutely agree with this.

        > (2) StringBuffer still used rather than StringBuilder
        >
        > StringBuffer buff = new StringBuffer();
        >
        > Use StringBuilder in place of StringBuffer (StringBuilder is not thread safe,
        > but is faster)

        Are we not worried about thread safeness then? I thought that we should assume
        that we may eventually have stuff running indifferent threads, so we should use
        StringBuffer.

        > (3) Private method with unused argument
        >
        > getHasAspectString on line 584 is a private method that never uses the
        > PlayerCharacter method argument. The "pc" method argument should be deleted.

        Agree

        > (4) local variable hides field
        >
        > On line 628 is abilityList used as a local variable. This is confusing
        > because it is hiding the abilityList field in the class. Such local variable
        > hiding a field should be avoided.

        Agree.

        You can get Idea to tell you about those last two, not sure about eclipse.

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 21, 2009

          On 21/08/2009 8:22 PM Andrew Wilson wrote
          > 2009/8/20 thpr <thpr@...>:
          >

          >> (2) StringBuffer still used rather than StringBuilder
          >>
          >> StringBuffer buff = new StringBuffer();
          >>
          >> Use StringBuilder in place of StringBuffer (StringBuilder is not thread safe,
          >> but is faster)
          >>

          > Are we not worried about thread safeness then? I thought that we should assume
          > that we may eventually have stuff running indifferent threads, so we should use
          > StringBuffer.

          Threads are only a worry for fields not local method variables. The vast
          majority of StringBuffer uses are unnecessary as they are local to a
          method and even if two threads are running the method they will have
          different stack frame and variables. As a result it is rare that using
          StringBuffer is actually warranted.
          >> (3) Private method with unused argument
          >>
          >> getHasAspectString on line 584 is a private method that never uses the
          >> PlayerCharacter method argument. The "pc" method argument should be deleted.
          >>

          > Agree
          >

          >> (4) local variable hides field
          >>
          >> On line 628 is abilityList used as a local variable. This is confusing
          >> because it is hiding the abilityList field in the class. Such local variable
          >> hiding a field should be avoided.
          >>

          > Agree.
          >
          > You can get Idea to tell you about those last two, not sure about eclipse.

          Yep Eclipse can also warn you on both of these.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 8, 2009

            Right slowly getting back into this

            > While we're talking about cleanup, here are a few other items to see
            > if they produce controversy or not (I suspect these are a lot more
            > innocent than the last group, but safer to ask :) )
            >
            > There are also missed opportunities to clean up AbilityToken
            >
            > (1) String Concatenation not cleaned up
            >
            > private String getRetString(String tokenSource, PlayerCharacter pc,
            > ExportHandler eh, int abilityIndex, List<Ability> aList)
            > {
            > String retString = "";
            > lots of if statements that do retString +=
            >
            > Since these concatenations are guaranteed to concatenate to an empty
            > string, and only one concatenation is ever possible, it's confusing
            > to use concatenation. (If more than one was possible, one should
            > use StringBuilder rather than string concatenation). Assignment
            > should be used instead, as it is more clear as to the behavior, and
            > also a LOT faster.

            Totally agree, this has now been fixed.

            > (2) StringBuffer still used rather than StringBuilder
            >
            > StringBuffer buff = new StringBuffer();
            >
            > Use StringBuilder in place of StringBuffer (StringBuilder is not
            > thread safe, but is faster)

            No threading is involved here so I see your point, I've changed this as well.

            > (3) Private method with unused argument
            >
            > getHasAspectString on line 584 is a private method that never uses
            > the PlayerCharacter method argument. The "pc" method argument
            > should be deleted.

            Correct, I didn't have my Eclipse warnings set up to the agreed standards in SVN. However the standards stated to ignore such warnings (the warnings list is well out of date with the modern eclipse).

            How do we want to document/vote on what should be standard warnings in our code base? We do have something in the wiki (quite old) - http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Coding_Standards, do we just update that?

            I have fixed this case in the mean time, but this is a good opportunity to lay down some standards (especially as there are few committers at the moment).

            > (4) local variable hides field
            >
            > On line 628 is abilityList used as a local variable. This is
            > confusing because it is hiding the abilityList field in the class.
            > Such local variable hiding a field should be avoided.

            I agree, again see above, this is a std we need to agree on and update somewhere.

            I'll be checking in the fixes (as well as others mentioned in other threads) sometime today if anyone is keen on reviewing (since this class seems to be a good one to pick on ;p)

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 8, 2009
              2009/9/8 karianna03 <martijnverburg@...>:
              >> (3) Private method with unused argument
              >>
              >> getHasAspectString on line 584 is a private method that never uses the
              >> PlayerCharacter method argument. The "pc" method argument should be
              >> deleted.
              >
              > Correct, I didn't have my Eclipse warnings set up to the agreed standards in
              > SVN. However the standards stated to ignore such warnings (the warnings list
              > is well out of date with the modern eclipse).
              >
              > How do we want to document/vote on what should be standard warnings in our
              > code base? We do have something in the wiki (quite old) -
              > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Coding_Standards, do we just update
              > that?
              >
              > I have fixed this case in the mean time, but this is a good opportunity to
              > lay down some standards (especially as there are few committers at the
              > moment).

              If we're going to do this, can we also do a list for the checks in IDEA,
              please. After all, the project has a license for it.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 8, 2009
                --- In pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
                > If we're going to do this, can we also do a list for the checks in IDEA,
                > please. After all, the project has a license for it.

                Which raises the question of whether we can (or should) standardize anything that more than one tool can't catch.

                We can supposedly agree to such a standard, but if I have to load multiple tools (Connor might ask for NetBeans), that becomes a real disincentive to write code.

                Seems to me we need to build a 3-column table to identify best practices, but only list those as standards when all 3 tools can detect the situation.

                TP
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 8, 2009
                  2009/9/8 thpr <thpr@...>:
                  > Seems to me we need to build a 3-column table to identify best practices, but
                  > only list those as standards when all 3 tools can detect the situation.

                  If we do have someone using a third tool then that sounds like a
                  reasonable idea.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 9, 2009
                    Alternatively we could write the rules into the Maven build? Maven supports various plugins for checkstyle, findbugs, PMD etc, it does mean we need to organise displaying the maven site and encouraging developers to look at the results of those tools.

                    Thoughts?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 9, 2009
                      2009/9/9 karianna03 <martijnverburg@...>:
                      > Alternatively we could write the rules into the Maven build?  Maven supports various plugins
                      > for checkstyle, findbugs, PMD etc, it does mean we need to organise displaying the maven
                      > site and encouraging developers to look at the results of those tools.

                      That means you have to leave your editor to find the problems. It's a
                      lot easier to deal with if
                      this stuff if your editor tells you about when you open a file.
                      Having to go to a web site to
                      find the problems is effectively adding another tool, silimar to
                      having to load the code in several
                      editors. I'm not greatly taken with that idea.

                      I think we should start with at least the eclipse column of the table
                      Tom mentioned, see what
                      we think are reasonable things. Then if anybody wants to use a
                      different tool they can fill in
                      their column of the table. I think we need to know:

                      1. What clean ups do we want
                      2. which of them can the various editors support.

                      If it turns out that everything we'd like is supported by all the
                      tools currently being used, then
                      we have a reasonably easy time. i don't think we can make sensible
                      decisions without the info.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
                        I have placed the table on the Wiki here:
                        http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Coding_Standards

                        Andrew, can you fill in IDEA?
                        Connor, can you fill in NetBeans?

                        thpr@... and tppublic@...

                            mailto:pcgen_developers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:pcgen_developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 16, 2009
                          I've updated this for the latest Eclipse 3.5 settings.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 16, 2009
                            I will be looking at this, hopefully before the weekend.

                            andrew

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 28, 2009
                              Hi Andrew, any luck?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 28, 2009
                                My machine died before I got a chance to fill that in. I don't currently have a
                                machine with IDEA installed on it. I have a crappy machine that is barely
                                capable of web browsing and email. My new machine should be arriving
                                this week sometime, then I need to get it back into a useable state.

                                Will fill this in, hopefully soon.

                                andrew

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 15, 2009
                                  Hi Andrew,

                                  I hope your new machine is all shiny and powerful (and useful for PCGen development of course ;p)

                                  Any luck?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 15, 2009
                                    It arrived yesterday, it is all shiny but I don't have IDEA installed on it yet.

                                    I'll try to get on to that sometime in the next couple of days.

                                    andrew

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 21, 2009
                                      Just to add to this,

                                      Conor, I think you have Netbeans yes? Are you able to add your bits into this?

                                      Thanks

                                    • Connor Petty
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 21, 2009
                                        I've filled out what I could. Hope it helps. I've also added a couple of Netbeans features that some eclipse user will have to fill out :P

                                        ...time for me to get back to school work.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 22, 2009
                                          Thanks, I'll take a look and see if there are Eclipse equivalents to the Netbeans stuff :).