Re: [pcgen_developers] Moving to Java 6

  • Connor Petty
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
      On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      On 8/09/2011 12:44 AM Martijn Verburg wrote

      > Hi all,
      >
      > We held a poll recently on how many users we'd lose if we moved up to
      > Java 6 (generally older Macs). The answer was about ~5 users, which
      > I'm comfortable with losing (Java 5 is EOL anyhow).
      >
      > So what are your thoughts about moving to Java 6 for the 6.0 series or
      > the series after 6.0?
      I think we should jump to java 6 now in the 6.0 line (i.e. starting with
      the next 5.17.x release).

      I think there might be some method name conflicts that would arise between my UI and the JDK 6.0, but that's mostly speculation since I've seen the new UI run just fine with JRE 6.0.

      Good news is that if we do move to 6.0 I'll get to play with JDesktop and add close buttons to the character tabs. :)

      I'll be free next week so expect a lot of updates!
      --
      Connor Petty
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011

        I think there might be some method name conflicts that would arise between my UI and the JDK 6.0, but that's mostly speculation since I've seen the new UI run just fine with JRE 6.0.

        Good news is that if we do move to 6.0 I'll get to play with JDesktop and add close buttons to the character tabs. :)

        I'll be free next week so expect a lot of updates!

        This is good news Connor and I was thinking of you and the new UI as one of the main beneficaries of moving to Java 1.6.  I'll take a look at trunk and the UI branch and see if I can enforce Java 1.6 as a minimum.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011

          This is now done - extra care was taken on trunk with regards to formatting etc.

          Connor/James, you might want to svn:igonre the .classpath and .project
          files going forward on the ui branch