Re: [pcgen_developers] Required Java Version was Re: OpenJDK vs Sun's JRE

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
      Effectively none

      On Wednesday, 6 July 2011, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks!
      >
      > Kar wrote:
      >> I'd like to do it sooner than later actually - we were being cautious about this, but since Java 5 is EOL we really should force users to move to 6 - for their own security if nothing else.
      >>
      >> Eric C Smith wrote:
      >>
      >>> Here is a different yet sort of realted question . . . When do we think PCGen might move to SE6 as the required Java version?
      >
      > Ok. On the Mac side it looks like SE6 is available from OS X 10.5+ and only for 64 bit Intel Macs. That means going to SE6 as the minimum requirement will cut out PPC and 32-bit Intel Macs.
      >
      > What limitation are created on the Windows and Linux side of the platforms?
      >
      > Eric

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
        Ok, then is there any objection to me posting a note on the PCGen list to inquire what H/W and OS versions our Mac users use?

        I know there is now real way to tell what our real customer base uses, but would give us at least one data point . . .

        Eric

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
          Go for it - personally I'm prepared to lose a couple (controversial as that may be)

          On 6 July 2011 18:41, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

          Ok, then is there any objection to me posting a note on the PCGen list to inquire what H/W and OS versions our Mac users use?

          I know there is now real way to tell what our real customer base uses, but would give us at least one data point . . .

          Eric

          On Jul 6, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

          > Effectively none
          >
          > On Wednesday, 6 July 2011, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Kar wrote:
          >>> I'd like to do it sooner than later actually - we were being cautious about this, but since Java 5 is EOL we really should force users to move to 6 - for their own security if nothing else.

          >> Ok. On the Mac side it looks like SE6 is available from OS X 10.5+ and only for 64 bit Intel Macs. That means going to SE6 as the minimum requirement will cut out PPC and 32-bit Intel Macs.
          >>
          >> What limitation are created on the Windows and Linux side of the platforms?

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2011
            Greetings,

            I've got Java set to auto-update, so as long as PCGen works with whatever the latest version is, then I'm happy.
            Sounds like there is a backwards compatibility issue though from v7?

            However - as a principle - surely we should dictate a minimum version of Java based on functionality *required* ? Java 5 may well be EOL, but if PCGen still works on it, what's the harm?

            If there is any additional work involved in ensuring older versions of java are supported, then that's a good enough reason to force a newer version as a minimum, and of course if we want to ensure certain functionality (such as Nimbus L&F) are available, then that's a good reason too.

            But should the 'minimum' be what we want, or what we need?

            Cheers
            Dave / Ferret

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2011
              JIC people were following this old thread, we have moved to Java 6 as a minimum for 5.17.x/6.0 - K