Re: [pcgen_developers] OpenJDK vs Sun's JRE

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
      Hi Eric,

      It's something that James and I need to sit down and work through, there's a few options for the Mac including:

      * Open JDK 6
      * Binary Apple JDK6 (might not ship with Lion though)
      * Open JDK 7 / Binary versions of OpenJDK 7 built by the OpenjDK Mac team (most likely solution)

      For the Mac, Java 7 won't officially come out until another 6 months or so (Oracle has taken over the support - but obviously they need to get up to speed).

      On 5 July 2011 17:52, Maredudd <maredudd@...> wrote:

      Hi Folks!

      What is the issue with PCGen and OpenJDK?

      I know that we tell folks that Ubuntu users need to install the Sun JRE but with Apple dropping their Java JRE development and Oracle's picking up the development as part of the OpenJDK project, I need to understand where my PCGen experience s going . . . :-)

      Maredudd

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
        Hi Eric,

        As it happens the new Java 7 inherits the same table behaviour from
        OpenJDK so Mac and Linux users will not be alone with troubles using
        PCGen. That's the bad news.

        The good news is that we have dealt with the problem in the new user
        interface. The tables work quite nicely under both Windows 7 and Oen
        JDK. We do have an issue with character sheet display under Windows 7 to
        sort out though.

        Cheers,
        James,

        On 6/07/2011 2:52 AM Maredudd wrote

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011

          That should have been Java 7 not Windows 7 in the second paragraph. I've
          fixed it below.

          Note to self: Proofread first then send :)

          On 6/07/2011 8:25 AM James Dempsey wrote
          > Hi Eric,
          >
          > As it happens the new Java 7 inherits the same table behaviour from
          > OpenJDK so Mac and Linux users will not be alone with troubles using
          > PCGen. That's the bad news.
          >
          > The good news is that we have dealt with the problem in the new user
          > interface. The tables work quite nicely under both Java 7 and Oen
          > JDK. We do have an issue with character sheet display under Java 7 to
          > sort out though.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > James,
          >
          > On 6/07/2011 2:52 AM Maredudd wrote
          >> Hi Folks!
          >>
          >> What is the issue with PCGen and OpenJDK?
          >>
          >> I know that we tell folks that Ubuntu users need to install the Sun JRE but with Apple dropping their Java JRE development and Oracle's picking up the development as part of the OpenJDK project, I need to understand where my PCGen experience s going . . . :-)
          >>
          >> Maredudd
        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
            Ok, first thing . . . I'm glad to hear I'm not out of the game! :-)

            Thanks James and Kar!

            I understand that the Apple JDK won't be shipped with Lion but will be downloadable, but we'll know for sure when Lion comes out.

            Here is a different yet sort of realted question . . . When do we think PCGen might move to SE6 as the required Java version?

            Maredudd

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
              I'd like to do it sooner than later actually - we were being cautious about this, but since Java 5 is EOL we really should force users to move to 6 - for their own security if nothing else.

              Martijn Verburg wrote:

              > Hi Eric,
              >
              > It's something that James and I need to sit down and work through, there's a few options for the Mac including:
              >
              > * Open JDK 6
              > * Binary Apple JDK6 (might not ship with Lion though)
              > * Open JDK 7 / Binary versions of OpenJDK 7 built by the OpenjDK Mac team (most likely solution)
              >
              > For the Mac, Java 7 won't officially come out until another 6 months or so (Oracle has taken over the support - but obviously they need to get up to speed).

              > On 5 July 2011 17:52, Maredudd <maredudd@...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi Folks!
              >
              > What is the issue with PCGen and OpenJDK?
              >
              > I know that we tell folks that Ubuntu users need to install the Sun JRE but with Apple dropping their Java JRE development and Oracle's picking up the development as part of the OpenJDK project, I need to understand where my PCGen experience s going . . . :-)
              >
              > Maredudd

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                Hi Folks!

                Kar wrote:
                > I'd like to do it sooner than later actually - we were being cautious about this, but since Java 5 is EOL we really should force users to move to 6 - for their own security if nothing else.
                >
                > Eric C Smith wrote:
                >
                >> Here is a different yet sort of realted question . . . When do we think PCGen might move to SE6 as the required Java version?

                Ok. On the Mac side it looks like SE6 is available from OS X 10.5+ and only for 64 bit Intel Macs. That means going to SE6 as the minimum requirement will cut out PPC and 32-bit Intel Macs.

                What limitation are created on the Windows and Linux side of the platforms?

                Eric
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Effectively none

                  On Wednesday, 6 July 2011, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Folks!
                  >
                  > Kar wrote:
                  >> I'd like to do it sooner than later actually - we were being cautious about this, but since Java 5 is EOL we really should force users to move to 6 - for their own security if nothing else.
                  >>
                  >> Eric C Smith wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Here is a different yet sort of realted question . . . When do we think PCGen might move to SE6 as the required Java version?
                  >
                  > Ok. On the Mac side it looks like SE6 is available from OS X 10.5+ and only for 64 bit Intel Macs. That means going to SE6 as the minimum requirement will cut out PPC and 32-bit Intel Macs.
                  >
                  > What limitation are created on the Windows and Linux side of the platforms?
                  >
                  > Eric

                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                    Ok, then is there any objection to me posting a note on the PCGen list to inquire what H/W and OS versions our Mac users use?

                    I know there is now real way to tell what our real customer base uses, but would give us at least one data point . . .

                    Eric

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                      Go for it - personally I'm prepared to lose a couple (controversial as that may be)

                      On 6 July 2011 18:41, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

                      Ok, then is there any objection to me posting a note on the PCGen list to inquire what H/W and OS versions our Mac users use?

                      I know there is now real way to tell what our real customer base uses, but would give us at least one data point . . .

                      Eric

                      On Jul 6, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

                      > Effectively none
                      >
                      > On Wednesday, 6 July 2011, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Kar wrote:
                      >>> I'd like to do it sooner than later actually - we were being cautious about this, but since Java 5 is EOL we really should force users to move to 6 - for their own security if nothing else.

                      >> Ok. On the Mac side it looks like SE6 is available from OS X 10.5+ and only for 64 bit Intel Macs. That means going to SE6 as the minimum requirement will cut out PPC and 32-bit Intel Macs.
                      >>
                      >> What limitation are created on the Windows and Linux side of the platforms?

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 7, 2011
                        Greetings,

                        I've got Java set to auto-update, so as long as PCGen works with whatever the latest version is, then I'm happy.
                        Sounds like there is a backwards compatibility issue though from v7?

                        However - as a principle - surely we should dictate a minimum version of Java based on functionality *required* ? Java 5 may well be EOL, but if PCGen still works on it, what's the harm?

                        If there is any additional work involved in ensuring older versions of java are supported, then that's a good enough reason to force a newer version as a minimum, and of course if we want to ensure certain functionality (such as Nimbus L&F) are available, then that's a good reason too.

                        But should the 'minimum' be what we want, or what we need?

                        Cheers
                        Dave / Ferret

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2011
                          JIC people were following this old thread, we have moved to Java 6 as a minimum for 5.17.x/6.0 - K