RE: [pcgen_developers] Hit point generator code

  • Caleb Ulfers
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 23, 2011
      No, I am not intending to commit this; I'm working on a closed-content set for private use. In any case, I can't find .pcgen.core; I can only find .pcgen; there's no .core under that.

      To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jdempsey@...
      Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:22:41 +1000
      Subject: Re: [pcgen_developers] Hit point generator code

      Hi Caleb,

      Most of the hit point work happens in pcgen.core.Globals.getGameModeHPFormula() however if you need access to character details you may need to look at its caller, pcgen.core.PCClass.rollHP()

      Were you intending to commit this change? If so, once you have worked out what you want to do could you post a proposal here please? Being quite a core part of the system it would be good to discuss any changes in advance.

      On 24/06/2011 4:17 AM Caleb Ulfers wrote

      Character hit points.

      To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jdempsey@...
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

      Hi Caleb,

      On 23 June 2011 13:34, CalebU <culfers@...> wrote:
      > I wanted to know what the code for the hit point generator is; I want to try to adapt it to code items which have variable prices and weights.

      Welcome to the dev list!

      Were you interested in character or equipment hit points?

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 23, 2011

        you have to check out the pcgen trunk - by svn, or I suppose you could download it... but if you're looking at the main program you won't find the files being talked about.

        You also need to have a method to compile the code... Eclipse, Netbeans, etc.

        James can point you in the right direction for the main stuff, but figured I'd let you know if you aren't seeing the folders, you aren't looking at the right things.

        To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

        From: jdempsey@...
        Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23, 2011
          Hi Caleb,

          Ah this is in the java code. You'd need to be able to recompile that to play extensively with the hit points formula.

          Instead you may be able to achieve the result you want by playing with the hit die size and bonusing the hitpoints based on your criteria instead. I know Andrew Maitland has done some playing with this for his Eclipse set.

          From: jdempsey@...
          Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 24, 2011
            My endeavor doesn't have to do with Hit Dice, but rather with items whose prices (and, in some cases, weights as well) could be a range of numbers. Which is why I thought I could use the hit point generator code to make a (random) price and weight generator.

            To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

            From: jdempsey@...
            Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 24, 2011
              Hi Caleb,

              Ah well then you'll need the roll function as described in http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/globalfilestagpages/globalfilesformulas.htm That can be achieved entirely in LST code.

              On 25/06/2011 4:51 AM Caleb Ulfers wrote

              To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

              From: jdempsey@...
              Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 25, 2011
                When I tried to access the link you sent, I received an error. I think you will have to copy and paste the roll function into a reply email. In any case, once I have this roll function, where should I put it?

                To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

                From: jdempsey@...
                Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 25, 2011

                  I missed a letter from the end. Try this one:

                  http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/globalfilestagpages/globalfilesformulas.html

                  Search for roll or random and you'll spot it. The docs should show you how to use the function. You would use the roll function in your weight or cost tags to give a random value each time the item is chosen. Having thought about it I suspect that it won't really do what you are after. You might be better off having an SPROP for your item and then getting the user to change the cost and weight in the customiser.

                  I would recommend that further discussion is on the LST File Help list though - it is set up for this sort of discussion.

                  On 26/06/2011 2:21 AM Caleb Ulfers wrote

                  To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

                  From: jdempsey@...
                  Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 25, 2011
                    Thanks.

                    To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

                    From: jdempsey@...
                    Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                      From: jdempsey@...
                      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                        From: jdempsey@...
                        Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                          From: jdempsey@...
                          Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 22, 2012
                            Hi Caleb,

                            No need to go to those sort of lengths for an open source project!

                            The source code you are after is at https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/code/src/java/pcgen/core/Globals.java however that will just return the optional value provided in the gamemode. I'm pretty sure that value isn't used in any of our distributed sets though.

                            If you want to track down how this is handled, I'd recommend you check out the source from https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/ and load it up into an IDE like Eclipse. See http://wiki.pcgen.org/Basic_Developer_Setup#Setting_up_with_Eclipse for instructions.

                            To: pcgen_developers@yahoogroups.com

                            From: jdempsey@...
                            Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:47:01 +1000

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 27, 2012
                              I have found pcgen.core.Globals.getGameModeHPFormula(), but now I don't know where/how to use it to find the hit point generation code for DnD v3.5. Will someone please show me?

                              http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=25576

                              > Also whichever client you download should have install instructions, etc.
                              > Trust me that going to the source would very likely be easier , both to
                              > read and get to the code, than trying to decompile it.
                              > On Jan 22, 2012 11:20 PM, "Caleb Ulfers" <culfers@...> wrote:

                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I'd do that, but I'm not sure how to.
                              > >
                              > > > To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                              > > > From: bryan@...
                              > > > Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:09:14 -0600
                              > > > Subject: Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Hit point generator code&#8207;
                              > > >
                              > > > Not sure why you would want to. If you really need the code for that part
                              > > > can't you just go look at the code in the svn repository?

                              > > decompile it,
                              > > appropriately

                            • javydreamer
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 27, 2012
                                PCGen is a great tool but it was never designed to be used as a library. That's the same problem I had. You won't find a nice API and much less something specific to D&D. The only part I was able to figure out so far is the use of the dice.But again that's not rocket science.

                                I'm trying to use PCGen as a library but I was told that they are about to merge changes towards making this possible.

                                This is part of the code you can find here later (when I'm done pushing): https://bitbucket.org/javydreamercsw/simple-marauroa-java/src

                                public int roll(String diceExp) {
                                //Make sure there's an space between operators
                                diceExp = diceExp.replaceAll("\\+", " + ").replaceAll("-", " - ");
                                logger.log(level, "Expression: {0}", diceExp);
                                int result = 0;
                                String[] tokens = diceExp.split("\\s");
                                String operator = null;
                                for (String token : tokens) {
                                String nextToken = token.trim().toLowerCase();
                                if (nextToken.contains("d")) {
                                //Is a dice expresion (i.e. 3d12)
                                result += new DieEx(nextToken).roll();
                                } else if (nextToken.equals("+") || nextToken.equals("-")) {
                                operator = nextToken;
                                } else {
                                //It should be an integer
                                float toAdd = Float.valueOf(nextToken);
                                if (operator.equals("+")) {
                                logger.log(level, "Adding {0} to the result...", toAdd);
                                result += toAdd;
                                } else if (operator.equals("-")) {
                                logger.log(level, "Substracting {0} to the result...", toAdd);
                                result -= toAdd;
                                }
                                }
                                }
                                logger.log(level, "Final Result: {0}", result);
                                return result;
                                }

                                You can pass something like this:

                                roll("1d12+1");