Re: [pcgen_developers] CI Upgrade and Code Checks

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
      Hi Andrew,

      On 3/06/2011 4:04 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
      Right, now I've done a few of them I have some other points.
      Thanks for that - it has been great to see the clean-up progressing.

      I reckon there's 9 man months to a year's worth of effort involved in cleaning
      these up :-( One full day at the weekend every weekend for five years.  Yikes!
      Just sayin' 's'all.
      Yes there is little doubt that it is a big job. One primary benefit of setting up the violations plugin is that we can ensure it doesn't get any worse and instead gradually improve the situation.

      One of the files I'm working on is cmplaining about an empty catch block.  Thing
      is it's commented, so someone's put a bit of thought into it.  Do we really care
      about this?  if not how do I get rid of the warning.  do we have a supression
      mechanism that we're using?

      One technique I have used in the past is to add a log entry to the catch block. Generally ignoring exceptions is a bad idea so the PMD/Checkstyle warning is warranted IMO.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
        On 6 June 2011 23:08, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
        > One of the files I'm working on is complaining about an empty catch block.  Thing
        > is it's commented, so someone's put a bit of thought into it.  Do we really care
        > about this?  if not how do I get rid of the warning.  do we have a suppression
        > mechanism that we're using?

        One technique I have used in the past is to add a log entry to the catch block.
        Generally ignoring exceptions is a bad idea so the PMD/Checkstyle warning is
        warranted IMO.

        Fair enough, what severity of thing should I log it as?