Re: [pcgen_developers] new member introduction

    Message 1 of 8 , May 22, 2011
      Hi Joost,

      Welcome to the list! Great to hear that you are interested in contributing.

      If you have any questions on the dev environment etc please ask. I'm
      also happy to start you off with a bite size piece of work to try, just
      let me know when you are ready.

      I don't know of any Android development currently, but there is no
      reason one couldn't happen if there were enough people (or just a small
      number with lots of time) to make it viable.

      On 22/05/2011 7:22 PM increddibelly wrote
      > hi all,
      >
      > as a new member I'd thought it would be nice to write a little introduction about myself.
      >
      > My name is Joost, I live in Nijmegen/Netherlands with my wife, daughter and two cats.
      > I've been using PCGen for a few years now, both as GM and player, mostly because of the excellent pathfinder implementation.
      > Between 2004 and 2008 I've done a fair share of JAVA coding. However, my current day job involves coding in C#(which I absolutely love), PHP4(which I absolutely loathe) and MySQL.
      >
      > I intend to lurk the forums while I setup my dev environment, read the coding standards and digest the ongoing discussions; after a little while I hope to take a look at some minor issues and work my way up from there.
      >
      > I'm also very much interested in Android development - any side projects in that direction (e.g. char sheet viewer?) will be sure to get my fires going.
      >
      > I'm looking forward to contributing to my favorite JAVA application :)

    • increddibelly
      Message 2 of 8 , May 22, 2011
        thanks :)

        the setup instructions seem pretty straight forward so I should get downloading :) I'll drop you a note when I'm all set.

        also, the project wiki has a link for subclipse, but that page has move. Who should I tell?
        the page at http://wiki.pcgen.org/Basic_Developer_Setup links to http://subclipse.tigris.org/install.html, which redirects to http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectProcess?pageID=p4wYuA

        cheers
        Joost

          Message 4 of 8 , May 22, 2011
            on page: http://wiki.pcgen.org/Basic_Developer_Setup

            search for: http://subclipse.tigris.org/install.html

            replace with: http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectProcess?pageID=p4wYuA
            cheers

              Message 6 of 8 , May 22, 2011

                I've checked out the lead revision, I've set up Eclipse/SVN/Ant, and now I'm trying to run PCGen for the first time.

                I'm getting the feeling that I may need to configure some working directories in Eclipse, because I'm getting exceptions from the line
                SettingsHandler.initGameModes();
                more specifically, the exceptions occur when the app is trying to setup wield sizes:

                ------- quote -------
                SEVERE main LstSystemLoader:1349 Can not determine which parser to use for 'PREVARLTEQ:EQUIP.SIZE.INT,PC.SIZE.INT-1'
                pcgen.persistence.PersistenceLayerException: Can not determine which parser to use for 'PREVARLTEQ:EQUIP.SIZE.INT,PC.SIZE.INT-1'
                PreParserFactory.parse(PreParserFactory.java:152)
                addDefaultWieldCategories(LstSystemLoader.java:1455)
                loadGameModes(LstSystemLoader.java:1344)
                initialize(LstSystemLoader.java:407)
                pcgen.core.SettingsHandler.initGameModes(SettingsHandler.java:1434)

                "Exception in thread "main" pcgen.base.lang.UnreachableError"
                ------- end quote -------
                execution ends after the above UnreachableError occurs.

                Since the console shows a long list of SEVERE log messages such as these:

                LSTERROR main SimpleLoader:94 Illegal Token 'POINTS' '80' for pcgen.core.PointBuyMethod Standard Campaign
                SEVERE main BioSetLoader:213 Error in BONUS parse: BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-1
                ------- end quote -------

                I think I may have skipped a configuration step for the dev environment?

                any hints appreciated.

                Joost

                Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2011
                  fixed, I wasn't using Ant.