Re: [pcgen_developers] Re: [pcgen_ui_beta] UI sandboxes

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2011
      On 26 April 2011 12:09, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
      > <Pulls on his old curmudgeon hat>
      >
      > I'm not so keen at this stage - primarily from a cost/benefit point of
      > view. We are fairly short on volunteer time currently and spending that
      > on admin work when there is plenty of development to do seems a waste.
      > Currently SVN is serving us well.
      >
      > <Pulls off hat>

      All very sensible.

      > GIT is certainly offered by SourceForge so it could be done. I'd be
      > interested in hearing what you think would be the benefit over SVN.

      I've used them both. For me, begining to use git was not that difficult,
      I found it closely resembled SVN, close enough that the concepts
      mapped easily, but I found it more useful. It handles doing mutiple
      things much better than SVN. I often find myself with multiple bits of
      change going on at the same time in the same build area. I start
      something and then find myself in the middle of something else.
      Resolving this with cvs or svn is a severe PITA for me, with git it's
      really really easy. Maybe you're all disciplined enough that this
      doesn't happen to you, but it happens to me.

      Creating and merging development lines is easy, much easier than with
      svn, IMO (and I think for most people who try it).

      Temporarily parking a change to come back to it later, takes seconds
      seconds to put it away, seconds to get it back into the current directory.
      In the general case I find it easier to work with abnd more powerful than
      SVN.

      > PS: Just to clarify Martijn's description then. Once the new UI is in a
      > condition to replace the old UI, we would merge the uisync branch back
      > into the trunk. This should be largely automatic - we've already done
      > the painful manual update getting from cdomui branch to the new uisync
      > branch (which started as a branch of trunk just after the release of
      > 5.16.6).

      If you've already gone through the pain of the main merge, then there
      probably wont be any great benefit from moving to git for that.