Re: [pcgen_developers] Help for my dissertation

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2011
      If Tom/James have some time they might be able to give you an answer on this.  However, they are both extremely busy so I'm not sur ethey'll be able ot come up with an accurate number.

      My guesstimate would be that we have very little code that we've directly pulled into our code.  Sure we use some 3rd party open source libs, but I think you're meaning more of a copy and paste right?

      Assuming it's the copy and paste case I'd say that it's <1%

      Also do note that PCGen isn't strictly a game, it does support gaming though :)

      On 15 April 2011 13:31, Corneliu I <corneliu.ilisescu@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I'm a student of computer science from Italy and I'm planning on graduating in july. I'm currently working on a project on which I have to write my dissertation. This project consists in studying a number of open source games, in particular some of the metrics that can be computed given the source code(for example, total LOCs, added/removed LOCs when comparing two different versions...).

      I also need to know, and this is where you come in, how many lines of code have been reused, meaning have been taken from other open source projects and embedded within your code. This is of course really tricky to compute from the source code only and I couldn't come up with a better idea than contacting the developers and hoping they are willing to help. I realize that recording the amount of reused lines of code can be quite bothersome but I would be very happy if you could at least give me a rough percentage. Any help is much appreciated since this is an important part of my dissertation.

      Thank you for your time and understanding,

      Corneliu Ilisescu