Re: [pcgen] Issues running pcgen on Ubuntu 9.10

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi Josh,

      Thanks for your offer of help!  I've copied in our developers mailing list where this discussion should continue.

      Thanks again!

      On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Josh Suereth <joshua.suereth@...> wrote:

      Thanks guys! I installed the sun JRE next to pcgen and updated the script
      to use that version instead of the OpenJDK default (I don't want to change
      the system default because I'm doing a lot of performance analysis on
      OpenJDK for Scala right now).

      Can I ask which TreeTable component you're using that does not work on
      OpenJDK?

      As far as packaging is concerned, I think the hardest part is figuring out
      what requirements to make for pcgen. A .deb package for ubuntu would be
      hard now that that Sun JRE is no longer supported. You'd have to rely on
      the old repo and still give people special instructions for how to install.

      In any case, packaging is usually as simple as specifying what the installed
      directory should look like and writing scripts to do pre/post
      install/uninstall to make sure the environment is correct and everything is
      clean. If someone else is doing this, great!

      Thanks again for the help.
      - Josh

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2011
        And a bump for our developers :), Joshua - you'll want to make sure that you're subscribed to that mailing list.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 24, 2011
          Bump :)

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 16, 2011

            Joshua has added himself to the list and so I'm bumping this thread :-)

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2011
              Hi Joseph,

              Are you able to capture the progress to date / requirements in a CODE project issue at http://jira.pcgen.org

              Thanks!

              Hi all,

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5 4:33 AM
                *Bump* :-)

                On 7 April 2011 16:33, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                Hi Joshua,

> [...]

                > wrote:
                > > Hey guys,
                > >
                > > I started using pcgen a few years ago and I'm pretty amazed with what
                > you've been able to accomplish! This product is a great aide to geekery
                > everywhere.
                > >
                > > I'm having issues on linux with any sort of list not showing up.
                > Specifically, Races/Classes/Skills/Spells/Equipment etc. show no data.
                > However, when I create a new character or NPC I am able to select a class
                > and race. I'm running 64-bit linux with 1024M heap and trying to load the
                > 3.5e SRD dataset. No custom configuration.
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >
                > > - Josh
                > >
                > > (Also if no one else is a linux package distro nerd, let me know. I've
                > done a bit of maven-rpm-plugin and could hack the maven-deb-plugin as needed
                > if you wanted to make deb/rpms for distributions).

              • Josh Suereth
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5 4:40 AM
                  Sorry guys.  I got sucked up into book deadlines (which has been stealing my OSS dev time).

                  Quick question, since I'm still on an old version:  Does PCGen still require Sun's JDK?

                  I should be 'free' in about a week to look into the state of things.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5 4:40 AM
                    err, make that Oracle...

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5 4:45 AM
                      Hi Josh,

                      Yes at this stage we still require the Sun/Oracle JDK (I hope to change this one day).

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 5 4:54 AM
                        So... what special class is your List widget using?  Is it doing some of the 'fun' (and painful) PLAF magikz?    It's been so long since I did a Swing app, but I'm more than willing to help.  Although at this point, I'd love to Wizards to let me pay for a PCGen DnD 4e dataset.  Seems more cost effective for them!

                        - Josh

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 5 4:57 AM
                          I'm actually not to sure (James or Connor will know) - are you able to try an compile/run it under the latest OpenJDK 6 build?  The stacktrace should tell you pretty quickly?

                          I don't currently have an POSIX env to try this on :(

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 6 4:59 PM
                            Hi Josh,

                            There's plenty of fun stuff in our tree tables. I had a play at working out what was going wrong but didn't get any good results. There was a problem with the number of rows that were reported but there was something extra as spoofing the result still gave blank tree views under some cases.

                            The good news is we already have this problem sorted out in the new user interface - it runs nicely using the OpenJDK.  However it doesn't yet cover the full range of functionality so can't be slotted in just yet.

                            On 5/08/2011 9:54 PM Josh Suereth wrote

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 6 5:42 PM
                              Sounds like I should hold off on a .deb package until one of the packaged JDKs is supported...  I mean, I could write the package against the new UI (is this on a branch or on trunk) and you can have a .deb once it's all ready to roll...

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 6 5:45 PM
                                Sorry, that should be .rpm or .deb.  Whichever is needed.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 6 6:40 PM
                                  Hi Josh,

                                  The new UI will be merged into trunk once it is ready so I'd target trunk for now.

                                  On 7/08/2011 10:45 AM Josh Suereth wrote