Re: Introducing myself...

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
      Hi Tom,

      Welcome to the team!

      > > I have a few goals I'd love to help PCGen aspire too, like a full
      > > server client web front end, integratable with CMS solutions, for
      > > a 1 stop site that DM's and players can use to manage remote
      > > games.

      This is indeed a long term goal of PCGen (and has been a pipe dream of mine for awhile). There are a few other open source software products that we were looking to combine with to provide such a service. Let me know if/when you're ready to hear by spiel on it :)

      > You've certainly got some big aims there! As we discuss
      > architecture it would be great if you could weigh in with views on
      > how this could assist us reaching your goals. Note my day job is
      > developing Java web apps so you I'll be happy to assist there too.
      > :) I'd also encourage you to grab a few small things initially to
      > get an idea of working with the PCGen code base.

      > > I also plan to work with the web dev team, to test a streamlined
      > > Joomla CMS install that can tie in Forums, Groups, Wiki, Mailing
      > > lists, all with a single access level.

      That would be brilliant, at the moment we've been trying out Drupal, but without much success on a integrated mailing list/forum solution. I'm sure Andrew will get you signed up to the Web Team and the mailing list we use for that. Basically the first step would be to have a forum backed by a mailing list solution put in place. Andrew can cover the details with you but basically the community voted _not_ to shift to a forum based site unless it smoothly tied into an underlying mailing list (e.g. Mail to the list and it pops up as a forum post and visa versa).

      > > I'll get together an outline path for my plans with both of
      > > these, and the feasability of the remote port, when I'm not stuck
      > > at my day job =)

      That would be great, thanks for starting to look into this!