Findings with Forum

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010

      Based upon preliminary findings, I think this forum will meet or exceed our needs.

      What I would like is a PHP developer to make it easier to Subscribe to the Mailing list through the forum interface. I've been talking to their developers, and the guy makes it sound like something easy to do. We've had one hit from Kar's PHP Developer plea, so hopefully this will be a possibility. Without that, it's not a true replacement of Yahoo Groups [One sign up, a few options and you're done]. Though on the other hand, the mailman list is all inclusive, so I can see the trade-off in either case.

      If that isn't possible it will require our users to sign up on the forum, and then subscribe through the mailman interface. Unless Anestis wants to set up another mailing list system.

      What I need from James or Anestis - Someone to assist in setting up a cron job to fetch the mail on the mailing list every 1 to 2 minutes. The code example exists, but I'd prefer the gurus to handle this. Once that is set up, tested and actually working, I'll be happy to give this my approval.

      I'd like about a month of testing, as the admin side of things IS HUGE. (Sensory overload in a very true sense of the word). I'll have to train the moderators how to approve of posts and new users. [New users approval is optional, but I didn't want to be cleaning up after spammers during the test phase].

      My plan is to have the Y! Groups importing to the new forum/Mailing list once the mailing list issue is sorted out. [i.e. cron jobs is set up]

      The nice thing though, even if the mailing list DID NOT work, you can still subscribe to the individual forums and get an email with the complete post. [I know that works]. It's still a push vs. pull, so that should make the user base happy in all cases.

      Plus, the newsgroup feed, the rss feed and the xml feed.

      I have to say, this is a professional quality set up forum, these guys worked hard, and it shows.