Converting high level character created in earlier versions

  • joxturthemighty
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15 6:30 AM
      Hi -

      My search Foo is bad, and I can't come up with any decent unique terms, so here goes..

      I've got a level 15 barbarian created way back in the pre 5.8 days, that I had converted up to 5.10. I tried opening him in 5.16.0 and it mostly loads, but I completely lost his rage ability, and I can't figure out how to get it back.

      Is there a way to hack my .pcg to convert it, is there a conversion program for .pcg files, or am I out of luck and need to try to remember his earliest incarnations to remake him?

      Is there a list of gotchas when opening older characters somewhere?

      Thanks!
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17 9:01 AM
        I don't have the details on me right now, but search for "Barak script" and you should find some posts on how to go about doing this.

        > Hi -
        >
        > My search Foo is bad, and I can't come up with any decent unique terms, so here goes..
        >
        > I've got a level 15 barbarian created way back in the pre 5.8 days, that I had converted up to 5.10. I tried opening him in 5.16.0 and it mostly loads, but I completely lost his rage ability, and I can't figure out how to get it back.
        >
        > Is there a way to hack my .pcg to convert it, is there a conversion program for .pcg files, or am I out of luck and need to try to remember his earliest incarnations to remake him?
        >
        > Is there a list of gotchas when opening older characters somewhere?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • joxturthemighty
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17 9:50 AM
          It isn't a dataset I want to convert, it's my poor barbarian. I have used SRD 3.0 to build and maintain him.

          I suppose There's no home for old dogs.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17 10:53 AM
            Hi Joxtur,

            Send your character my way and I'll see what the poor old man needs. :P

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            joxturthemighty wrote:
            > It isn't a dataset I want to convert, it's my poor barbarian. I have used SRD 3.0 to build and maintain him.
            >
            > I suppose There's no home for old dogs.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I don't have the details on me right now, but search for "Barak script" and you should find some posts on how to go about doing this.

            >>> Hi -
            >>>
            >>> My search Foo is bad, and I can't come up with any decent unique terms, so here goes..
            >>>
            >>> I've got a level 15 barbarian created way back in the pre 5.8 days, that I had converted up to 5.10. I tried opening him in 5.16.0 and it mostly loads, but I completely lost his rage ability, and I can't figure out how to get it back.
            >>>
            >>> Is there a way to hack my .pcg to convert it, is there a conversion program for .pcg files, or am I out of luck and need to try to remember his earliest incarnations to remake him?
            >>>
            >>> Is there a list of gotchas when opening older characters somewhere?
            >>>
            >>> Thanks!

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
            > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

          • joxturthemighty
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22 6:40 AM
              Thanks for the help, he looks great! Interestingly, even the updated one shows 0 rage / day on the preview sheet, but when he exports, the boxes are right there. That must have been the problem all along.

              I tried opening and exporting the original one again, and the PDF shows the right rage boxes, but on the last page in Special Qualities, it shows
              Rage
              0 times/day (9 rounds)

              So, something still weird, but I can live with it

              Thanks again!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 22 9:50 AM
                I resent the 5.17.0 version and that shows the proper rage on the back.
                I think it's something in the 5.16.0 version. But I've been unable to
                locate the issue in the scant free time I've had.

                Conversion issues - none really. A few proficiencies warnings for
                changed names, but it's all okay.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin