Windows 7 Support?

  • x_superwank
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2009
      I recently installed the Windows 7 release candidate on my gaming/Tabletop RPG PC. I can no longer coax PCGen into operation. Any news on whether there is a workaround? Is Windows 7 support planned for the future?
    • Jonathan Thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2009
        The Official release of Windows 7 will have XP compatibly support for
        java based programs. Im not running PCGen on my Windows 7 machine
        since I am trying to stick with basic software on that machine.

        --
        Jonathan M. Thompson
        Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2009
          Thank you for your quick reply.

          Unfortunately, I already tried running PCGen through Win7's XP
          compatibility mode. For some reason it won't allow me to run the .bat
          file that opens the program. I would hate to have to run it through a
          different machine, but it looks like going to have to go that route.

          Thanks again for your help.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2009
            The only other assistance I can give is for me to install it on my
            Win7RC machine and see if I can find a work around.

            On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:44 PM, x_superwank<jamezx667@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for your quick reply.
            >
            > Unfortunately, I already tried running PCGen through Win7's XP
            > compatibility mode. For some reason it won't allow me to run the .bat
            > file that opens the program. I would hate to have to run it through a
            > different machine, but it looks like going to have to go that route.
            >
            > Thanks again for your help.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Thompson <thompsonjm@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> The Official release of Windows 7 will have XP compatibly support for
            >> java based programs. Im not running PCGen on my Windows 7 machine
            >> since I am trying to stick with basic software on that machine.
            >>
            >> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM, x_superwankjamezx667@... wrote:
            >> >

            >> > I recently installed the Windows 7 release candidate on my
            > gaming/Tabletop
            >> > RPG PC. I can no longer coax PCGen into operation. Any news on
            > whether there
            >> > is a workaround? Is Windows 7 support planned for the future?
            >> >

            >> --
            >> Jonathan M. Thompson
            >> Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com)
            >> jthompson@...
            >> d20 Magazine Rack (www.d20zines.com)
            >> thompsonjm@...
            >> In Development: (2009) Fantastic World & Pulp Fantastic (Ubiquity),
            >> Terran Trade Authority & Warren Norwood's Double Spiral War (MGT) |
            >> "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But
            >> without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

            --
            Jonathan M. Thompson
            Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com)
            jthompson@...
            d20 Magazine Rack (www.d20zines.com)
            thompsonjm@...
            In Development: (2009) Fantastic World & Pulp Fantastic (Ubiquity),
            Terran Trade Authority & Warren Norwood's Double Spiral War (MGT) |
            "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But
            without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
          • loaoxide
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 16, 2009
              I run PCGen on Windows 7 RC1, with no issues at all. Not using any compatablity mode. If you are still having issues I can try and help you out.

              1.) 32bit or 64bit?
              2.) When you say XP mode, are you using XP compatablity or did you download the Integrated WindowsXP virtual machine?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 16, 2009
                I have the 64 bit version of Win7 and I am using XP compatibility and
                not the virtual machine.

                Thanks for your help.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
                  Well your problem is most likely not with PCGEN, its with Java and Windows 7 64 bit, all the auto installers suck, do the following:

                  Goto control panel
                  Uninstall Program
                  The remove all java installs.
                  Reboot your PC (even if it doesn't ask you to)
                  Then goto http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
                  Download the Top option, make sure it is getting the following file:
                  jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw.exe
                  After the install reboot again

                  Then copy over your PCGEN, and make sure you start it with pcgen.bat.

                  If you want to test Java first, click on start, in the search box type "CMD" press enter. In the black command prompt window type "java", if you get a list of options then your fine. If you get a "java is an unrecognised command" then it is not properly set up.

                  And lastly if push comes to major shove, download the free XP Mode client, install it, then install the FREE Windows XP SP3 installation, and run it on there.

                  -Oxide

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
                    >" Well your problem is most likely not with PCGEN, its with Java and
                    Windows 7 64 bit"

                    I had a feeling that was probably the issue, thanks for clearing it up,
                    I'll get to the fix you suggested as soon as I can.

                    Thanks again, you've saved me just in time. My campaign reconvenes this
                    weekend and I have a ton of work to do. It's sad to say, but I've grown
                    so accustomed to PCGen doing the work for me that I'm kind of lost
                    without it. Pathetic, I know.