Re: [pcgen] Basic questions from a n00b (i.e.: Help!)

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
      Accessing archive from James Dempsey...
      Archive found in file 22567.31581.15912

      > On 7/06/2009 10:53 PM Michael W. Fender wrote
      >
      > > On Sunday 07 June 2009 06:01:10 narrinian wrote:

      > >> Q1: When I leveled up to 3 I added a Wizard level. I figured out how to
      > >> add a familiar (took some time) but eventually got it right, and chose a
      > >> rat for the +2 Fort bonus as listed in the PHB. However, this bonus is
      > >> reflected on my sheet in the miscellaneous column as +4. To test this
      > >> apparent error I created a new "fake" character, a level 1 human wizard.
      > >> Before adding the rat familiar he had +0 in the misc column; after
      > >> adding the familiar that changed to a +4. But the rules in the PHB
      > >> clearly state a rat only grants a +2 Fort bonus. So is this a mistake on
      > >> PCGen's part, or is there some book or errata out there that makes rat
      > >> familiars give a +4 rather than a +2? If not (and even, in case my DM
      > >> rejects such a change from the printed material), is there a way I can
      > >> manually change the Fort bonus rats give in PCGen so that it'll display
      > >> +2 on the printed character sheets in the future?
      > >
      > > I'm not seeing it. Made a LV 1 Wizard, all 10 stats and slapped a Rat
      > > familiar on him. I'm only getting a +2.
      > >
      > > Just out of curiosity, did you give him the feat "Great Fortitude"?
      > > That's about the only other thing I could think of off the top of my head
      > > that should be giving a "Misc" bonus.
      >
      > One option here is that there is a troubleshooting HTML (aka standard)
      > output sheet that shows the breakdown of where things come from. That
      > might also help with your GMs suspicion of the program.

      Good thought James. It's like a debugging for a character.

      > >> Q2: Is there a way to manually "instruct" the program on how to display
      > >> weapons on the printed-out character sheet? All of the crappy weapons I
      > >> have are listed first; the ones I actually use are listed at the bottom.
      > >> Doesn't sound like such a big deal, but it sort of annoys me.
      > >
      > > No way that I know of.
      >
      > There is an output order column on the equipment tab, Simply change the
      > weapons you want to see to be 1, 2 and 3 in order or at least less than
      > any other weapons.

      o.O!! I was unaware of that...

      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
    • narrinian
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
        Thanks for the help so far, guys!

        First, on the question of why my character keeps getting a +4 Fort bonus instead of the +2 he should get from his Rat Familiar: I followed James' advice and exported a troubleshooting file (the way I did this was I clicked File-->Export--->Standard and then I selected the csheet_fantasy_troubleshooting.htm option. If that's not the way I should have done it, please let me know!). Here were the results on the troubleshooting page when I opened it up with FireFox:

        SavingThrows

        Fortitude:+5=+0[BASE]+1[CON]+4[MISC]
        Reflex:+5=+3[BASE]+2[DEX]
        Will:+3=+2[BASE]+1[WIS]

        I don't see how this helps me track down why my character is getting a +4 instead of a +2, but maybe I screwed up the export process or something.

        Michael said:
        >I'm not seeing it. Made a LV 1 Wizard, all 10 stats and slapped a Rat familiar on him. I'm only getting a +2.

        I have no idea why you're unable to recreate this error. Are you running the same version of PCGen as I am? Because I just now tried again, creating a Level 1 Human Wizard with all 10 stats as well, and it still gives the +4 Fort after I give him the rat familiar.

        Incidentally, the way I've been adding familiars is this: I go to the Inventory tab, I select the Resources tab from there, I click on "Familiar", and then from that list I choose "rat" and I hit the right arrow thingy at the bottom. This leads to the program creating a save file for the new character (the rat) and automatically switches to that sheet. Am I doing this right? Perhaps the way I'm doing it is what's screwing up the Fort save bonus...?

        Moving on...

        Michael also said:
        >For a property that's not coded in, click on the SProp button. This will allow you to type in what you want, such as "Lights up as a free action, Returns when thrown".

        You, sir, just earned yourself 3,000 Internets!

        James said:
        >There is an output order column on the equipment tab, Simply change the weapons you want to see to be 1, 2 and 3 in order or at least less than any other weapons.

        I'm not seeing an "output order" column anywhere under the Inventory tab... not under the sub-tabs Gear, Equipping, Resources, or Temporary Bonuses either. I'm doing something wrong, aren't I?

        Anyway, thanks again for the help, guys. I'm slowly but surely learning this program, and having fun doing so.

        John
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
          Using 5.16.0
          Loaded Complete RSRD
          Human Wizard, stats all 10's
          Add Rat familiar
          Fort Save +2

          Looks fine to me.

          Are you loading any other sets?
          Did you make any customizations, or tweak any sets?
          Did you somehow add two Rats?

          Can you send a copy of the character file (pcg)

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
            Answers for the Output order

            INVENTORY
            You add/buy your items
            RIGHT WINDOW
            Last column
            Says output order.

            You can either right click and sort by alphabetical order
            Ascending/descending OR you can double click in the window and manually
            change the number.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            narrinian wrote:
            > Thanks for the help so far, guys!
            >
            > First, on the question of why my character keeps getting a +4 Fort bonus instead of the +2 he should get from his Rat Familiar: I followed James' advice and exported a troubleshooting file (the way I did this was I clicked File-->Export--->Standard and then I selected the csheet_fantasy_troubleshooting.htm option. If that's not the way I should have done it, please let me know!). Here were the results on the troubleshooting page when I opened it up with FireFox:
            >
            > SavingThrows
            >
            > Fortitude:+5=+0[BASE]+1[CON]+4[MISC]
            > Reflex:+5=+3[BASE]+2[DEX]
            > Will:+3=+2[BASE]+1[WIS]
            >
            > I don't see how this helps me track down why my character is getting a +4 instead of a +2, but maybe I screwed up the export process or something.
            >
            > Michael said:
            >
            >> I'm not seeing it. Made a LV 1 Wizard, all 10 stats and slapped a Rat familiar on him. I'm only getting a +2.
            >>

            > I have no idea why you're unable to recreate this error. Are you running the same version of PCGen as I am? Because I just now tried again, creating a Level 1 Human Wizard with all 10 stats as well, and it still gives the +4 Fort after I give him the rat familiar.
            >
            > Incidentally, the way I've been adding familiars is this: I go to the Inventory tab, I select the Resources tab from there, I click on "Familiar", and then from that list I choose "rat" and I hit the right arrow thingy at the bottom. This leads to the program creating a save file for the new character (the rat) and automatically switches to that sheet. Am I doing this right? Perhaps the way I'm doing it is what's screwing up the Fort save bonus...?
            >
            > Moving on...
            >
            > Michael also said:
            >
            >> For a property that's not coded in, click on the SProp button. This will allow you to type in what you want, such as "Lights up as a free action, Returns when thrown".
            >>

            > You, sir, just earned yourself 3,000 Internets!
            >
            > James said:
            >
            >> There is an output order column on the equipment tab, Simply change the weapons you want to see to be 1, 2 and 3 in order or at least less than any other weapons.
            >>

            > I'm not seeing an "output order" column anywhere under the Inventory tab... not under the sub-tabs Gear, Equipping, Resources, or Temporary Bonuses either. I'm doing something wrong, aren't I?
            >
            > Anyway, thanks again for the help, guys. I'm slowly but surely learning this program, and having fun doing so.
            >
            > John

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
            > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

          • John Kantner
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2009
              Success, finally, with my
              "rat-gives-you-plus-4-instead-of-plus-2-as-familiar" problem!

              I had sent my character save file to Andrew, who generously offered to take
              a look at it. Only problem was that when he loaded the file he didn't see
              the problem. He proved this to me by exporting it to a .pdf file and
              e-mailing that file back. I was very frustrated, of course, by this! I mean,
              by now he was probably thinking I was making the whole thing up.

              Well, I decided to try this: one by one I used the Advanced screen to load
              the sources instead of using the Basic, default was as I had. Finally, I
              achieved success! By loading *only* the "3.5 RSRD - Campaign Set - Core
              Books I - III" source, my character sheet now looks 100% correct.

              Question is, I wonder which crappy source was being loaded when I used the
              Basic option and choose either "SRD 3.5 for Game Masters (includes
              Monsters)" or "SRD 3.5 for Players" that caused this problem in the first
              place? Will I be missing out on some cool stuff, now? Hope not, but at least
              I know how to make my sheet look right for the moment.

              Thanks to everyone, especially Andrew, for your help with the program. I'm
              really beginning to feel that I have a handle on the damned cool thing! Not
              to sound too over-confident, but I was even able to add a magic item the
              other day that doesn't come with PCGen. With some of the advice I learned
              here I managed to make it look perfect on my sheet. You guys rock. Keep up
              the good work!

              John