Character sheet/export question

  • jonathan.baldridge
    Message 1 of 16 , May 19 11:23 AM
      When looking at my Pathfinder beta character in this version of PCGen under the Character Sheet tab I have found that I really like the look of the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html sheet that is selectable via the dropdown list on the right hand side of the program under where it says "Character Sheet." However, there is no option in the program to export to this character sheet type. I would love to have this as an option to use for my character sheet instead of the default ones listed under export.

      Does anyone have any idea how to do this?
      Message 2 of 16 , May 19 12:13 PM
        Hi Jonathan,

        Welcome to the PCGen Community.

        That is a bit of a tough question. That specific preview sheet is made
        up of several files and isn't meant to be exported at this time. (Lots
        of PNG files based on what I remember)

        I'll defer to Eddy Anthony for the final answer since he designed the
        sheet. I think it would need to set up in the html section based on it's
        current configuration.

        Some of the monkeys are still on hiatus after the last big release, so
        please be patient if the answer isn't as forthcoming as mine. :-)

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        jonathan.baldridge wrote:
        > When looking at my Pathfinder beta character in this version of PCGen under the Character Sheet tab I have found that I really like the look of the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html sheet that is selectable via the dropdown list on the right hand side of the program under where it says "Character Sheet." However, there is no option in the program to export to this character sheet type. I would love to have this as an option to use for my character sheet instead of the default ones listed under export.
        >
        > Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
        > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 16 , May 19 2:59 PM
          jonathan.baldridge wrote:
          > When looking at my Pathfinder beta character in this version of PCGen under the Character Sheet tab I have found that I really like the look of the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html sheet that is selectable via the dropdown list on the right hand side of the program under where it says "Character Sheet." However, there is no option in the program to export to this character sheet type. I would love to have this as an option to use for my character sheet instead of the default ones listed under export.
          >
          > Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

          Hi Jonathan,
          Glad you like the sheet. The answer is yes but it will take a little
          work. The Character Sheet tab uses html files for it's output so it's
          easy enough to to move the file so that it can be used in the standard
          export. The thing that makes the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html file
          different from the rest is the use of graphics, because it's basically a
          web page the graphics have to be linked and if the file or graphics are
          moved relative to each other the link is broken and the graphics don't
          load. For this reason the sheet was created as a characters sheet tab only.

          That said there is a way you can export your character and view the
          sheet in a regular web browser. First thing to do is copy the sheet
          from: preview/d20/fantasy/Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html, to:
          outputsheets/d20/fantasy/htmlxml/. This will make the sheet show up in
          the list of sheets when you Export to Standard. The next part is
          important: when you export save it to the root folder where the
          pcgen.jar is, the linked graphics on the page work when the page is in
          that location. Alternatively you can copy this folder into the directory
          where you save you character sheets: preview/d20/fantasy/images/gold.
          You only need the content of the "gold" folder but you do need the
          folder structure of the path to it to match the path as it is in the
          PCGen folder.

          Hope that's not too confusing, let us know how it goes.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Board of Directors
          Message 4 of 16 , May 19 10:58 PM

            > jonathan.baldridge wrote:
            > > When looking at my Pathfinder beta character in this version of PCGen under the Character Sheet tab I have found that I really like the look of the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html sheet that is selectable via the dropdown list on the right hand side of the program under where it says "Character Sheet." However, there is no option in the program to export to this character sheet type. I would love to have this as an option to use for my character sheet instead of the default ones listed under export.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have any idea how to do this?
            >
            > Hi Jonathan,
            > Glad you like the sheet. The answer is yes but it will take a little
            > work. The Character Sheet tab uses html files for it's output so it's
            > easy enough to to move the file so that it can be used in the standard
            > export. The thing that makes the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html file
            > different from the rest is the use of graphics, because it's basically a
            > web page the graphics have to be linked and if the file or graphics are
            > moved relative to each other the link is broken and the graphics don't
            > load. For this reason the sheet was created as a characters sheet tab only.
            >
            > That said there is a way you can export your character and view the
            > sheet in a regular web browser. First thing to do is copy the sheet
            > from: preview/d20/fantasy/Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html, to:
            > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/htmlxml/. This will make the sheet show up in
            > the list of sheets when you Export to Standard. The next part is
            > important: when you export save it to the root folder where the
            > pcgen.jar is, the linked graphics on the page work when the page is in
            > that location. Alternatively you can copy this folder into the directory
            > where you save you character sheets: preview/d20/fantasy/images/gold.
            > You only need the content of the "gold" folder but you do need the
            > folder structure of the path to it to match the path as it is in the
            > PCGen folder.
            >
            > Hope that's not too confusing, let us know how it goes.
            >
            > --
            > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            > ~ PCGen Board of Directors
            > ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second

            First off, thanks so much for your detailed help. I followed your instructions exactly and I am not seeing the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html at all as an option in the export-standard list. I am not sure why it is not showing because I followed your guidelines to the 'T.'
          • jonathan.baldridge
            Message 5 of 16 , May 19 11:11 PM

              > jonathan.baldridge wrote:
              > > When looking at my Pathfinder beta character in this version of PCGen under the Character Sheet tab I have found that I really like the look of the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html sheet that is selectable via the dropdown list on the right hand side of the program under where it says "Character Sheet." However, there is no option in the program to export to this character sheet type. I would love to have this as an option to use for my character sheet instead of the default ones listed under export.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have any idea how to do this?
              >
              > Hi Jonathan,
              > Glad you like the sheet. The answer is yes but it will take a little
              > work. The Character Sheet tab uses html files for it's output so it's
              > easy enough to to move the file so that it can be used in the standard
              > export. The thing that makes the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html file
              > different from the rest is the use of graphics, because it's basically a
              > web page the graphics have to be linked and if the file or graphics are
              > moved relative to each other the link is broken and the graphics don't
              > load. For this reason the sheet was created as a characters sheet tab only.
              >
              > That said there is a way you can export your character and view the
              > sheet in a regular web browser. First thing to do is copy the sheet
              > from: preview/d20/fantasy/Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html, to:
              > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/htmlxml/. This will make the sheet show up in
              > the list of sheets when you Export to Standard. The next part is
              > important: when you export save it to the root folder where the
              > pcgen.jar is, the linked graphics on the page work when the page is in
              > that location. Alternatively you can copy this folder into the directory
              > where you save you character sheets: preview/d20/fantasy/images/gold.
              > You only need the content of the "gold" folder but you do need the
              > folder structure of the path to it to match the path as it is in the
              > PCGen folder.
              >
              > Hope that's not too confusing, let us know how it goes.
              >
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ PCGen Board of Directors
              > ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second

              I followed your instructions exactly but the sheet is not showing in the export list for standard at all so I can't save the page to then try to open it to see if it is properly using those webpage graphics.
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 16 , May 20 7:28 AM
                jonathan.baldridge wrote:
                > First off, thanks so much for your detailed help. I followed your instructions exactly and I am not seeing the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html at all as an option in the export-standard list. I am not sure why it is not showing because I followed your guidelines to the 'T.'

                You're welcome. It's been a bit since I've worked with output and I
                forgot one detail: The output looks for a prefix in the name of the
                file, so add "csheet_" to the beginning of the name of the file and it
                should then show up in the list of sheets.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 20 3:28 PM

                  > jonathan.baldridge wrote:
                  > > First off, thanks so much for your detailed help. I followed your instructions exactly and I am not seeing the Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html at all as an option in the export-standard list. I am not sure why it is not showing because I followed your guidelines to the 'T.'
                  > >

                  > You're welcome. It's been a bit since I've worked with output and I
                  > forgot one detail: The output looks for a prefix in the name of the
                  > file, so add "csheet_" to the beginning of the name of the file and it
                  > should then show up in the list of sheets.
                  >
                  > --
                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  > ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                  > ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second

                  Thanks so much! That made the difference. The only thing I've noticed that is different about it is that the little d20s that are on the character sheet now have blue colored borders. It still looks nice though!
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 20 5:46 PM
                    jonathan.baldridge scribed:

                    > Thanks so much! That made the difference. The only thing I've noticed that is
                    > different about it is that the little d20s that are on the character sheet now
                    > have blue colored borders. It still looks nice though!

                    You're welcome again. If you know any html you could edit the header so the
                    links don't have that visible indicator, or you could just remove the links.
                    I don't think those links will function outside of PCGen, in PCGen those
                    links call a pop up window that performs dice rolls.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                    ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second
                  • David R. Bender
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 23 6:04 PM
                      Pathfinder Gamemode... PCGen 5.16

                      There is a weapon in Pathfinder called a Starknife with the following
                      definition:
                      Starknife
                      PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|Starknife
                      TYPE:Weapon.Melee.Light.Finesseable.Ranged.Thrown.Martial.Standard.Piercing.Dagger.BladeLight
                      etc.

                      The Spherewalker prestige class at 2nd level grants the return ability
                      to any Starknife used by a Spherewalker.

                      I have coded the following in a "personal" equipment file:
                      Starknife.MOD
                      SPROP:Gains the returning special ability in the hands of a
                      Spherewalker|PREMULT:2,[PRECLASS:1,Spherewalker=2],[PRETYPE:1,Thrown]

                      What am I getting the following error when loading, and the SPROP is not
                      showing up as appropriate:
                      May 23, 2009 8:54:41 PM pcgen.util.Logging errorPrint
                      SEVERE: PRETYPE has been deprecated for non-Equipment Prerequisites.
                      Please use PRERACE as an alternative
                      May 23, 2009 8:54:41 PM pcgen.util.Logging errorPrint
                      SEVERE: PRETYPE value was: Thrown

                      ?????

                      It sorta works if I remove the pretype, but then the sprop shows up
                      under both the thrown and melee output block...

                      David
                      Papa.DRB

                      Grognard (definition 1)
                      My better half and me
                    • Michael W. Fender
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 24 4:26 AM
                        On Saturday 23 May 2009 21:04:53 David R. Bender wrote:
                        > Pathfinder Gamemode... PCGen 5.16
                        >
                        > There is a weapon in Pathfinder called a Starknife with the following
                        > definition:
                        > Starknife
                        > PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|Starknife
                        > TYPE:Weapon.Melee.Light.Finesseable.Ranged.Thrown.Martial.Standard.Piercing
                        >.Dagger.BladeLight etc.
                        >
                        > The Spherewalker prestige class at 2nd level grants the return ability
                        > to any Starknife used by a Spherewalker.
                        >
                        > I have coded the following in a "personal" equipment file:
                        > Starknife.MOD
                        > SPROP:Gains the returning special ability in the hands of a
                        > Spherewalker|PREMULT:2,[PRECLASS:1,Spherewalker=2],[PRETYPE:1,Thrown]
                        >
                        > What am I getting the following error when loading, and the SPROP is not
                        > showing up as appropriate:
                        > May 23, 2009 8:54:41 PM pcgen.util.Logging errorPrint
                        > SEVERE: PRETYPE has been deprecated for non-Equipment Prerequisites.
                        > Please use PRERACE as an alternative
                        > May 23, 2009 8:54:41 PM pcgen.util.Logging errorPrint
                        > SEVERE: PRETYPE value was: Thrown
                        >
                        > ?????
                        >
                        > It sorta works if I remove the pretype, but then the sprop shows up
                        > under both the thrown and melee output block...

                        That's because the PRETYPE in this case is checking the character, not the
                        weapon. From the docs:
                        "SPROP tags can be qualified with PRExxx tags. SPROP tags qualified with
                        PRExxx tags will not display unless the character meets the prerequisites."
                        ...and since the character race is not "Thrown", then it wouldn't show up.

                        If an SPROP tags is valid for an item, it'll show in all output variants of
                        it. I'll tell you about a "Throwing Staff" some other time, but it shouldn't
                        be a problem. I don't think there's currently a way to only make the SPROP
                        show up in only the 'Thrown' output block.
                        --
                        Fluxxdog

                        think.
                      • David R. Bender
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 24 6:13 AM
                          Rats... Read the Prexxx documentation but did not look at the SPROP
                          doc... Thanks

                          David
                          Papa.DRB

                          Grognard (definition 1)
                          My better half and me

                        • michael.schoeller@inhouse.wko.at
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 26 7:31 AM
                            Hello,

                            Just a little question for understanding

                            I tried to replace the Human race with some subraces but I got sucked with an "Unconstructed Reference: Race Human" Message.
                            What I tried:
                            Human.COPY=Human (MYBASEHUMAN)
                            Human (MYBASEHUMAN).MOD LANGBONUS:.CLEAR

                            Human (MYBASEHUMAN).COPY=Human (Subrace1)
                            Human (MYBASEHUMAN).COPY=Human (Subrace2)
                            Human (MYBASEHUMAN).FORGET
                            Human.FORGET

                            This should work from an logical pint of view.
                            Well I know it has to do with the .FORGET lines.
                            So how do I get rid of the default Human entry?

                            Thanks
                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 26 11:28 AM
                              Hi Michael,

                              This would be more appropriate over on the PCGen ListfileHelp Yahoo Group.

                              However, I'll do my best to answer this:

                              Question, do your new races show up?
                              Is Human missing?

                              You can try doing all those steps, and at the final one, you can try

                              Human.MOD VISIBLE:NO
                              instead of .FORGET

                              That might work. Sounds like an order of operation isn't being enforced.

                              Flagging for Code.

                              michael.schoeller@... wrote:
                              > Hello,
                              >
                              > Just a little question for understanding
                              >
                              > I tried to replace the Human race with some subraces but I got sucked with an "Unconstructed Reference: Race Human" Message.
                              > What I tried:
                              > Human.COPY=Human (MYBASEHUMAN)
                              > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).MOD LANGBONUS:.CLEAR
                              >
                              > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).COPY=Human (Subrace1)
                              > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).COPY=Human (Subrace2)
                              > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).FORGET
                              > Human.FORGET
                              >
                              > This should work from an logical pint of view.
                              > Well I know it has to do with the .FORGET lines.
                              > So how do I get rid of the default Human entry?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Michael

                              > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
                              > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

                            • Tom Parker
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 26 12:30 PM
                                You did get rid of the default Human entry. The .COPY, .MOD and .FORGET are working as designed (though a weak design point, see below)

                                (1) The problem - and the intent behind the "Unconstructed Reference" is that Human is referenced elsewhere in the data. It is related to the .FORGET (since Human is reference but not constructed due to the .FORGET) but the root issue is that you have things like:

                                COMPANIONLIST:Follower|Human
                                (making that up)

                                The point is the use of Human elsewhere in the data makes the data produce the message. There is a checkbox in the preferences that would help determine the location of all of the messages should you really wish to go down the path of clearing them out (probably not worth it)

                                (2) With the code below, it is likely you will not get what you expect. ALL .COPY entries will be processed before ALL .MOD entries, so your LANGBONUS:.CLEAR entry will not have any impact on Subrace1 or Subrace2.

                                Otherwise, the message isn't critical to operation, things will still work with the message, and yes, we realize there are different levels of criticality with respect to the unconstructed reference messages, but those levels are not distinguished today.

                                TP.

                                p.s. VISIBLE is not a valid tag for Races

                                > Hi Michael,
                                >
                                > This would be more appropriate over on the PCGen ListfileHelp Yahoo Group.
                                >
                                > However, I'll do my best to answer this:
                                >
                                > Question, do your new races show up?
                                > Is Human missing?
                                >
                                > You can try doing all those steps, and at the final one, you can try
                                >
                                > Human.MOD VISIBLE:NO
                                > instead of .FORGET
                                >
                                > That might work. Sounds like an order of operation isn't being enforced.
                                >
                                > Flagging for Code.
                                >
                                > michael.schoeller@... wrote:
                                > > Hello,
                                > >
                                > > Just a little question for understanding
                                > >
                                > > I tried to replace the Human race with some subraces but I got sucked with an "Unconstructed Reference: Race Human" Message.
                                > > What I tried:
                                > > Human.COPY=Human (MYBASEHUMAN)
                                > > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).MOD LANGBONUS:.CLEAR
                                > >
                                > > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).COPY=Human (Subrace1)
                                > > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).COPY=Human (Subrace2)
                                > > Human (MYBASEHUMAN).FORGET
                                > > Human.FORGET
                                > >
                                > > This should work from an logical pint of view.
                                > > Well I know it has to do with the .FORGET lines.
                                > > So how do I get rid of the default Human entry?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > > Michael

                                > > Related Lists
                                > > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
                                > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • SWTRSE
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 26 10:13 PM
                                  Thanks for the help.
                                  It's clear now, but it seems like a litte.."bug"..so I will clear this out. The tipp with the references checkbox was great.

                                  Michael

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 27 1:09 AM
                                    Just to be complete.
                                    I found a new solution:
                                    ###Races.lst###
                                    Human.MOD LANGBONUS:.CLEAR TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Subhuman1|Subhuman2
                                    ###Template.lst###
                                    Subhuman1 SUBRACE:YES TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:DummyRegion1|DummyRegion2 SOURCEPAGE:PGTF p.10
                                    Subhuman2 SUBRACE:YES TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:DummyRegion1|DummyRegion2 SOURCEPAGE:PGTF p.10
                                    DummyRegion1 REGION:YES LANGBONUS:Sublanguage1, Sublanguage2, Sublanguage3
                                    DummyRegion2 REGION:YES LANGBONUS:Sublanguage1, Sublanguage2, Sublanguage4

                                    That worked pretty well.

                                    Michael