Re: [pcgen] Re: Possible Bug: Pathfinder Skill Ranks w/ LVL 21+

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
      On 22.04.2009 23:57 Uhr, Andrew Maitland wrote:
      > That would because no level beyond 20th is defined for the Pathfinder
      > Gamemode.

      The Pathfinder RPG Beta Playtest Edition rules do not support play
      beyond 20th level. This will probably be addressed in the final rules
      due out in August.

      Regards,
      Stefan.
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
        Looking through the PFRPG rules PDF I can't see any reference to levels
        beyond 20 either.

        Cheers,
        James.

        On 23/04/2009 7:57 AM Andrew Maitland wrote
        > That would because no level beyond 20th is defined for the Pathfinder
        > Gamemode.
        >
        > You'd need to add
        >
        > LEVEL:LEVEL CSKILLMAX:LEVEL CCSKILLMAX:LEVEL
        > to the level.lst file in the pathfinder gamemode. Not sure how that
        > would work out though. It appears the XP required doesn't follow a set
        > pattern which required each level to be defined.
        >
        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
        >

        > Eric Jarman wrote:
        >
        >> Found something else related to this:
        >> All skill points selected from the Favored Class Bonus disappear when you
        >> level a character to 21+ too.
        >>
        >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...>wrote:
        >>

        >>> I may have found a bug with the Pathfinder game mode.
        >>> When I level a character up to level 21 or higher, the Max Skill Ranks for
        >>> all skills drops to 0, and I can no longer select ranks in any skill.
        >>> You have to build a multiclass character to find this, since the max level
        >>> for all the individual classes is 20.
        >>>
        >>> PCGen 5.16.0
        >>> Java 1.6.0_12
        >>> GameMode: Pathfinder
        >>> Datasets Loaded: PFRPG Beta, PFRPG Beta Web Enhancement

      • Eric Jarman
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
          Still, having everything drop to 0 on an overflow condition is not exactly
          what I would have expected.
          The 'XP for next level' on the Class tab kept showing what was listed for
          lvl 20.
          I guess that means that behavior once you go past what's defined is
          effectively random?

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
            Correct behaviour would be that PCgen should not let you level up a character
            beyond level 20.

            Regards,
            Stefan.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
              I agree with that.
              So then technically the bug was being able to add that 21st level.
              (Or alternately it was an error between the keyboard and chair, with my
              expecting something sensible from an undefined variable.)

              Is there a way to set a max character level?

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
                Yes and no... We can limit levels in specific classes, but currently no method exists to set a top cap for total levels. Well, actually, I correct my self. You could use PRELEVELMAX:20 or any variant thereof. Place it in all the classes and that (In theory) would prevent any one from taking any level beyond 20th.