Possible Bug: Pathfinder Skill Ranks w/ LVL 21+

  • Eric Jarman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
      I may have found a bug with the Pathfinder game mode.
      When I level a character up to level 21 or higher, the Max Skill Ranks for
      all skills drops to 0, and I can no longer select ranks in any skill.
      You have to build a multiclass character to find this, since the max level
      for all the individual classes is 20.

      PCGen 5.16.0
      Java 1.6.0_12
      GameMode: Pathfinder
      Datasets Loaded: PFRPG Beta, PFRPG Beta Web Enhancement

    • Eric Jarman
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
        Found something else related to this:
        All skill points selected from the Favored Class Bonus disappear when you
        level a character to 21+ too.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
          That would because no level beyond 20th is defined for the Pathfinder
          Gamemode.

          You'd need to add

          LEVEL:LEVEL CSKILLMAX:LEVEL CCSKILLMAX:LEVEL
          to the level.lst file in the pathfinder gamemode. Not sure how that
          would work out though. It appears the XP required doesn't follow a set
          pattern which required each level to be defined.

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          Eric Jarman wrote:
          > Found something else related to this:
          > All skill points selected from the Favored Class Bonus disappear when you
          > level a character to 21+ too.
          >
          > On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...>wrote:
          >

          >> I may have found a bug with the Pathfinder game mode.
          >> When I level a character up to level 21 or higher, the Max Skill Ranks for
          >> all skills drops to 0, and I can no longer select ranks in any skill.
          >> You have to build a multiclass character to find this, since the max level
          >> for all the individual classes is 20.
          >>
          >> PCGen 5.16.0
          >> Java 1.6.0_12
          >> GameMode: Pathfinder
          >> Datasets Loaded: PFRPG Beta, PFRPG Beta Web Enhancement

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
            On 22.04.2009 23:57 Uhr, Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > That would because no level beyond 20th is defined for the Pathfinder
            > Gamemode.

            The Pathfinder RPG Beta Playtest Edition rules do not support play
            beyond 20th level. This will probably be addressed in the final rules
            due out in August.

            Regards,
            Stefan.
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2009
              Looking through the PFRPG rules PDF I can't see any reference to levels
              beyond 20 either.

              Cheers,
              James.

              On 23/04/2009 7:57 AM Andrew Maitland wrote

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
                Still, having everything drop to 0 on an overflow condition is not exactly
                what I would have expected.
                The 'XP for next level' on the Class tab kept showing what was listed for
                lvl 20.
                I guess that means that behavior once you go past what's defined is
                effectively random?

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
                  Correct behaviour would be that PCgen should not let you level up a character
                  beyond level 20.

                  Regards,
                  Stefan.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
                    I agree with that.
                    So then technically the bug was being able to add that 21st level.
                    (Or alternately it was an error between the keyboard and chair, with my
                    expecting something sensible from an undefined variable.)

                    Is there a way to set a max character level?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
                      Yes and no... We can limit levels in specific classes, but currently no method exists to set a top cap for total levels. Well, actually, I correct my self. You could use PRELEVELMAX:20 or any variant thereof. Place it in all the classes and that (In theory) would prevent any one from taking any level beyond 20th.