Re: [pcgen][Eric] Re: Problems in Vista

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
      There is a similar solution in the FAQ except that iot places the
      command line in the.cmd file instead of the .bat file. Not being a PC
      person, I assume these files are separate files. If the statement is
      placed in the ,bat file, do we need it in the .cmd file? Does this
      represent an additional solution to getting PCGen running under Vista
      or XP64?

      Also, the FAQ lists minimummemory of 768MB. Is this the minimum? Or
      the minimum recommended?

      Eric C. Smith
      Doc 2nd

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
        Oh good questions...

        Well, the command line is reached by the .bat file in windows, so all
        these should be placed in the .bat file.

        There is no cmd file... to reach a manual command line one accesses it
        with the 'cmd' command in Vista (Earlier versions used the longer
        'command.exe' IIRC). And the command line is really a dos layout...
        which the bat file does an extremely good job of handling.

        512 is sufficient for me, though I do have a higher setting when I need
        to load a lot of sets. My normal average memory usage is 400 - 500. So
        512 is decent, 768 is just a nice buffer.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • thaldorf
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "magus_knightcrawler" <magus_knightcrawler@...> wrote:

          > Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
          >
          > Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
          >
          > Knightcrawler
          > Former, Data Ape

          I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.
        • Brad Stiles
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
            > Got it running in Vista 64 by reinstalling most recent Java.  But again won't save.  Console gave some of this.
            >
            > java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5141\characters\Lusur.pcg (Access is denied)
            > at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
            > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
            >
            > followed by about 60-70 lines that all end with (Unknown Source).  Wouldn't let me copy paste the entire thing in.
            > Also tried installing abosultely newest Java but no change.

            I've heard of this behavior with other programs in Vista, 32 and 64.
            Windows 7 is supposed to have the same issue. Access to the Program
            Files tree is fairly seriously restricted (even for administrators,
            depending on the program), and so programs that expect to be able to
            write data there don't always work the way they should. This includes
            things like INI, or other configuration, files that the program
            expects to be able to change.

            The most successful solution is to simply install PCGen somewhere
            else. No other directory tree has the same type of restriction on it.

            Other solutions, ones which involve putting parts of PCGen in one
            place and other parts in another, might also work, but aren't,
            IMNECTHO, worth the extra effort.

            Brad
          • Sean Riley
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
              Can you give a link to that for us?

              Thanks,

              Sean Riley

              I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.

            • magus_knightcrawler
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "magus_knightcrawler" <magus_knightcrawler@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
                > >
                > > Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
                > >
                > > Knightcrawler
                > > Former, Data Ape
                > >

                > I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.

                The newest version of Java has specific support for 64. But make sure you get it directly from the Java site. PCGen now works but we can still not save. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling within my documents folder.

                Knightcrawler
                Former Data Ape
              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                  Hi Knightcrawler,

                  On 5/04/2009 4:53 AM magus_knightcrawler wrote
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "magus_knightcrawler" <magus_knightcrawler@> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
                  >>>
                  >>> Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
                  >>>
                  >>> Knightcrawler
                  >>> Former, Data Ape
                  >>>

                  >> I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.
                  >>

                  > The newest version of Java has specific support for 64. But make sure you get it directly from the Java site. PCGen now works but we can still not save. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling within my documents folder.

                  Another option is to change your saved characters folder in preferences
                  to a folder under My Documents. I think we might have to make this the
                  default so that it works "out of the box". A similar thing would need to
                  be done with the custom sources folder.

                  Cheers,
                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code SB
                • magus_knightcrawler
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009

                    > Another option is to change your saved characters folder in preferences
                    > to a folder under My Documents. I think we might have to make this the
                    > default so that it works "out of the box". A similar thing would need to
                    > be done with the custom sources folder.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > James Dempsey
                    > PCGen Code SB

                    I unistalled it and reinstalled it within My Documents. Seems to work now. Perhaps moving the folders might work. But you'd have to move any folder to which something would be saved. I did try modifying the permissions on the whole PCGen folder but that did not seem to work. The simplest seems to be to just install it to My Documents.

                    Knightcrawler
                    Former Data Ape
                  • Brad Stiles
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                      > Another option is to change your saved characters folder in
                      > preferences to a folder under My Documents. I think we might
                      > have to make this the default so that it works "out of the box".
                      > A similar thing would need to be done with the custom sources folder.

                      You'd also need to do it for any other file to which the program can
                      write, such as the INI files.

                      Far simpler, IMAO, to just to advise people to not use the "Program
                      Files" tree at all, and install it someplace else.

                      Brad
                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                        Hi Brad,

                        On 5/04/2009 11:16 PM Brad Stiles wrote
                        >> Another option is to change your saved characters folder in
                        >> preferences to a folder under My Documents. I think we might
                        >> have to make this the default so that it works "out of the box".
                        >> A similar thing would need to be done with the custom sources folder.
                        >>

                        > You'd also need to do it for any other file to which the program can
                        > write, such as the INI files.
                        >
                        > Far simpler, IMAO, to just to advise people to not use the "Program
                        > Files" tree at all, and install it someplace else.

                        The INI files already default to the user's home directory, so I think
                        it is just the two settings. If I created a test installer would someone
                        be willing to give it a try?

                        Cheers,
                        James.