Problems in Vista

  • magus_knightcrawler
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 28, 2009
      Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.

      Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.

      Knightcrawler
      Former, Data Ape
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 28, 2009
        Hi Magus Knightcrawler,

        Welcome back.

        I personally use PCGen on a Windows Vista Home Premium (Laptop) without
        any issues. However, I haven't been trying to save any characters for
        awhile, so something may have gotten broken since i last tried.

        Can you post any error messages in the console window. Something like
        Out Of Memory could be the issue.

        As to the Bat file. Open one of them up and double the values 128 >
        256 | 256 > 512 That normally solves any memory issues.

        The two I can remember are Low Mem and the regular PCGen bat.

        Hope that helps, if not please post specific details so we can get to
        the root of the problem.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        magus_knightcrawler wrote:
        > Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
        >
        > Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
        >
        > Knightcrawler
        > Former, Data Ape

      • magus_knightcrawler
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 31, 2009
          Got it running in Vista 64 by reinstalling most recent Java. But again won't save. Console gave some of this.

          java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5141\characters\Lusur.pcg (Access is denied)
          at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

          followed by about 60-70 lines that all end with (Unknown Source). Wouldn't let me copy paste the entire thing in. Also tried installing abosultely newest Java but no change.

          Knightcrawler
          Confused Ex-Data Ape

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 31, 2009
            Hm, interesting. We need to open a bug report then.

            Also, permissions to directories is an issue IIRC for vista.

            My directories are not the standard. Try changing the save directory and
            see if that has any effect.

            Can you post the majority of the error msg so the coders can see it please.

            Thanks,

            -Andrew

            magus_knightcrawler wrote:
            > Got it running in Vista 64 by reinstalling most recent Java. But again won't save. Console gave some of this.
            >
            > java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5141\characters\Lusur.pcg (Access is denied)
            > at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
            > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
            >
            > followed by about 60-70 lines that all end with (Unknown Source). Wouldn't let me copy paste the entire thing in. Also tried installing abosultely newest Java but no change.
            >
            > Knightcrawler
            > Confused Ex-Data Ape

            >> Hi Magus Knightcrawler,
            >>
            >> Welcome back.
            >>
            >> I personally use PCGen on a Windows Vista Home Premium (Laptop) without
            >> any issues. However, I haven't been trying to save any characters for
            >> awhile, so something may have gotten broken since i last tried.
            >>
            >> Can you post any error messages in the console window. Something like
            >> Out Of Memory could be the issue.
            >>
            >> As to the Bat file. Open one of them up and double the values 128 >
            >> 256 | 256 > 512 That normally solves any memory issues.
            >>
            >> The two I can remember are Low Mem and the regular PCGen bat.
            >>
            >> Hope that helps, if not please post specific details so we can get to
            >> the root of the problem.
            >>
            >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
            >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            >>

            >> magus_knightcrawler wrote:
            >>
            >>> Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
            >>>
            >>> Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
            >>>
            >>> Knightcrawler
            >>> Former, Data Ape

          • Sean Riley
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 31, 2009
              Here is the path file that I needed before. With each new Java version, I've had to update the Path.

              Here's what worked for Vista x64:

              PCGen should be installed in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder

              The .bat command line in the .bat file needs to be changed and should be:
              "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\java" -Dswing.aatext=true -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

              The path in the system\advanced properties\... should be:
              ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin
              Then Restart the computer, because that is ultimately what reset the path...

              Using the .bat file then works.

              You do not need to enter the command in the command prompt manually.

              Thanks for all of the help!!!!

              I look forward to continued use of PCGen!!!!

              Sean

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
                Thanks much Sean.

                Eric, do we have a note like this in the FAQ part of the docs?

                If not I can add a tracker for it's inclusion.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
                  There is a similar solution in the FAQ except that iot places the
                  command line in the.cmd file instead of the .bat file. Not being a PC
                  person, I assume these files are separate files. If the statement is
                  placed in the ,bat file, do we need it in the .cmd file? Does this
                  represent an additional solution to getting PCGen running under Vista
                  or XP64?

                  Also, the FAQ lists minimummemory of 768MB. Is this the minimum? Or
                  the minimum recommended?

                  Eric C. Smith
                  Doc 2nd

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
                    Oh good questions...

                    Well, the command line is reached by the .bat file in windows, so all
                    these should be placed in the .bat file.

                    There is no cmd file... to reach a manual command line one accesses it
                    with the 'cmd' command in Vista (Earlier versions used the longer
                    'command.exe' IIRC). And the command line is really a dos layout...
                    which the bat file does an extremely good job of handling.

                    512 is sufficient for me, though I do have a higher setting when I need
                    to load a lot of sets. My normal average memory usage is 400 - 500. So
                    512 is decent, 768 is just a nice buffer.

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • thaldorf
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "magus_knightcrawler" <magus_knightcrawler@...> wrote:

                      > Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
                      >
                      > Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
                      >
                      > Knightcrawler
                      > Former, Data Ape

                      I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.
                    • Brad Stiles
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
                        > Got it running in Vista 64 by reinstalling most recent Java.  But again won't save.  Console gave some of this.
                        >
                        > java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5141\characters\Lusur.pcg (Access is denied)
                        > at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
                        > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
                        >
                        > followed by about 60-70 lines that all end with (Unknown Source).  Wouldn't let me copy paste the entire thing in.
                        > Also tried installing abosultely newest Java but no change.

                        I've heard of this behavior with other programs in Vista, 32 and 64.
                        Windows 7 is supposed to have the same issue. Access to the Program
                        Files tree is fairly seriously restricted (even for administrators,
                        depending on the program), and so programs that expect to be able to
                        write data there don't always work the way they should. This includes
                        things like INI, or other configuration, files that the program
                        expects to be able to change.

                        The most successful solution is to simply install PCGen somewhere
                        else. No other directory tree has the same type of restriction on it.

                        Other solutions, ones which involve putting parts of PCGen in one
                        place and other parts in another, might also work, but aren't,
                        IMNECTHO, worth the extra effort.

                        Brad
                      • Sean Riley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
                          Can you give a link to that for us?

                          Thanks,

                          Sean Riley

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:

                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "magus_knightcrawler" <magus_knightcrawler@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
                            > >
                            > > Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
                            > >
                            > > Knightcrawler
                            > > Former, Data Ape
                            > >

                            > I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.

                            The newest version of Java has specific support for 64. But make sure you get it directly from the Java site. PCGen now works but we can still not save. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling within my documents folder.

                            Knightcrawler
                            Former Data Ape
                          • James Dempsey
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                              Hi Knightcrawler,

                              On 5/04/2009 4:53 AM magus_knightcrawler wrote
                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "magus_knightcrawler" <magus_knightcrawler@> wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> Been away for a long, long time. Started using PCGen again. Have had several problems in Vista. First I just installed PCGen on my new Vista Home Premium laptop and it won't let me save any created characters. I've checked all the directories and they all look correct.
                              >>>
                              >>> Also we haven't been able to run it at all on a Vista x64 machine and the FAQ's about this are a little to vague. As to what .bat file we are supposed to edit and what we are supposed to add or delete. Thanks for any help.
                              >>>
                              >>> Knightcrawler
                              >>> Former, Data Ape
                              >>>

                              >> I used Vista 64 for a long time, now I am using Windows 7 64bit and had the same problems as you. What was the solution? simple, to install a 64 version of Java.
                              >>

                              > The newest version of Java has specific support for 64. But make sure you get it directly from the Java site. PCGen now works but we can still not save. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling within my documents folder.

                              Another option is to change your saved characters folder in preferences
                              to a folder under My Documents. I think we might have to make this the
                              default so that it works "out of the box". A similar thing would need to
                              be done with the custom sources folder.

                              Cheers,
                              James Dempsey
                              PCGen Code SB
                            • magus_knightcrawler
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009

                                > Another option is to change your saved characters folder in preferences
                                > to a folder under My Documents. I think we might have to make this the
                                > default so that it works "out of the box". A similar thing would need to
                                > be done with the custom sources folder.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > James Dempsey
                                > PCGen Code SB

                                I unistalled it and reinstalled it within My Documents. Seems to work now. Perhaps moving the folders might work. But you'd have to move any folder to which something would be saved. I did try modifying the permissions on the whole PCGen folder but that did not seem to work. The simplest seems to be to just install it to My Documents.

                                Knightcrawler
                                Former Data Ape
                              • Brad Stiles
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                                  > Another option is to change your saved characters folder in
                                  > preferences to a folder under My Documents. I think we might
                                  > have to make this the default so that it works "out of the box".
                                  > A similar thing would need to be done with the custom sources folder.

                                  You'd also need to do it for any other file to which the program can
                                  write, such as the INI files.

                                  Far simpler, IMAO, to just to advise people to not use the "Program
                                  Files" tree at all, and install it someplace else.

                                  Brad
                                • James Dempsey
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                                    Hi Brad,

                                    On 5/04/2009 11:16 PM Brad Stiles wrote
                                    >> Another option is to change your saved characters folder in
                                    >> preferences to a folder under My Documents. I think we might
                                    >> have to make this the default so that it works "out of the box".
                                    >> A similar thing would need to be done with the custom sources folder.
                                    >>

                                    > You'd also need to do it for any other file to which the program can
                                    > write, such as the INI files.
                                    >
                                    > Far simpler, IMAO, to just to advise people to not use the "Program
                                    > Files" tree at all, and install it someplace else.

                                    The INI files already default to the user's home directory, so I think
                                    it is just the two settings. If I created a test installer would someone
                                    be willing to give it a try?

                                    Cheers,
                                    James.