Re: [Code] [OS] Hi to all.... translations?

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
      > As far as translations, I'm not aware of any at this point and time.

      There aren't, to my knowledge.

      There have been a few problems, and Alvise and some others have done work to identify what those issues are.

      The major problems that have been identified:
      - How to create a translation and not lose one's work from one version to another (since altering the data we ship is inherently tricky to keep in line with what we send out) [this is a data format issue]
      - How to have a selection show up for a user in localized format, yet still have the appropriate object selected. [this is an internal code issue having to do with string representations of objects we often refer to as 'keys' and the original objects]

      The second problem has been (in my opinion) gating a solution to the first issue. The type safety that is required to resolve the second item is actually my major focus right now in the post-5.16 release. (The type safety is a byproduct of two projects, one is eliminating cloning and the second is the CHOOSE token rebuild)

      Once those are complete, we can start building in Localization hooks for the data, and at least get a start on customizing for different languages and regions. (There are a few other relevant issues we will have to work through)

      As of right now, the exact plans for our post-5.16 release are still under evaluation. Once we know more about that (in the next month or so), we will be in a better position to talk about when the Localization efforts on the data can ramp up.

      TP.