Question: Editing programs

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hi there:

      What is the best Windows program (freeware would be great) to edit the data files. I am using Wordpad but it is funky, jumping the cursor around weirdly. And notpad won't open them because they are not on a character set it likes.

      I wish I could import to excel, but the combination of having no data under some columns makes importing difficult, as the importer gets confused of what data belongs in what column. This occurs when trying to import as "tab delimited, ignore multiple delimters in a row." Dome kind of non-parsed placeholder would help there.

      So, suggest a program to me. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
        For Windows:

        Crimson Editor (Emerald Editor) same thing really... (Free)
        EditPlus (Shareware)

        Both I have used, and we have syntax highlighting for both.

        -Andrew

        Eric wrote:
        > Hi there:
        >
        > What is the best Windows program (freeware would be great) to edit the data files. I am using Wordpad but it is funky, jumping the cursor around weirdly. And notpad won't open them because they are not on a character set it likes.
        >
        > I wish I could import to excel, but the combination of having no data under some columns makes importing difficult, as the importer gets confused of what data belongs in what column. This occurs when trying to import as "tab delimited, ignore multiple delimters in a row." Dome kind of non-parsed placeholder would help there.
        >
        > So, suggest a program to me. Thanks.

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009

          Textpad (it's what I use)... it's not free, but it's only nagware, so it
          might as well be free (although I use it so much I bought it long ago).
          There's also UltraEdit, Crimson, and I'm sure a couple of others that I'm
          forgetting.

          Once you pick one, go to the files section here and download a syntax file
          for the appropriate program so you can have syntax highlighting. :)

          Barak
        • Joey Derrico
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
            I like Notepad++ It is free and can be found of SOurceforge. It is awsome.

            Joey

            Andrew Maitland wrote:

            > For Windows:
            >
            > Crimson Editor (Emerald Editor) same thing really... (Free)
            > EditPlus (Shareware)
            >
            > Both I have used, and we have syntax highlighting for both.
            >
            > -Andrew
            >
            > Eric wrote:
            > > Hi there:
            > >
            > > What is the best Windows program (freeware would be great) to edit
            > the data files. I am using Wordpad but it is funky, jumping the cursor
            > around weirdly. And notpad won't open them because they are not on a
            > character set it likes.
            > >
            > > I wish I could import to excel, but the combination of having no
            > data under some columns makes importing difficult, as the importer
            > gets confused of what data belongs in what column. This occurs when
            > trying to import as "tab delimited, ignore multiple delimters in a
            > row." Dome kind of non-parsed placeholder would help there.
            > >
            > > So, suggest a program to me. Thanks.

            > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net>
            > <http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/>
            > <http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap>
            > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php>
            > > PCGen's Online Docs:
            > <http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html>
            > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

          • Anestis Kozakis
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
              2009/3/6 Joey Derrico <joeyd473@...>:
              > I like Notepad++ It is free and can be found of SOurceforge. It is awsome.
              >
              > Joey

              I haven't done any LST editing, but Notepad++ is very nice, and has
              syntax highlighting for many different programming languages and
              scripting languages. Not sure if someone has created a PCGEN Syntax
              list for it though.

              Anestis,

              --
              Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/
            • Joey Derrico
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                No PCGen Syntax for it. But it still does a great job editing the lst files

                Joey

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                  But feel free to make syntax highlighting for it. We can include it if
                  you submit it to the pcgen yahoo group.

                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2009
                    I would if I knew how

                    Joey

                    Andrew Maitland wrote:

                    > But feel free to make syntax highlighting for it. We can include it if
                    > you submit it to the pcgen yahoo group.
                    >
                    > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                    >
                    > Joey Derrico wrote:
                    > > No PCGen Syntax for it. But it still does a great job editing the
                    > lst files
                    > >
                    > > Joey
                    > >
                    > > Anestis Kozakis wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> 2009/3/6 Joey Derrico <joeyd473@...
                    > <mailto:joeyd473%40nyc.rr.com>

                    > >> awsome.

                    > >> I haven't done any LST editing, but Notepad++ is very nice, and has
                    > >> syntax highlighting for many different programming languages and
                    > >> scripting languages. Not sure if someone has created a PCGEN Syntax
                    > >> list for it though.
                    > >>
                    > >> Anestis,
                    > >>
                    > >> --
                    > >> Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... <mailto:kenosti%40gmail.com>
                    > <mailto:kenosti%40gmail.com> |
                    > >> http://www.akozakis.id.au/ <http://www.akozakis.id.au/>
                    > <http://www.akozakis.id.au/ <http://www.akozakis.id.au/>>

                    > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net>
                    > <http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/>
                    > <http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap>
                    > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php>
                    > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > <http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html>
                    > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                  • N. Eric Phillips
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2009
                      I downloaded the Crimson editor. Where can I get the syntax highlighting?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2009
                        Make the highlighting syntax or upload to the Yahoo group?

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 6, 2009
                          - Sent a zip folder offlist

                          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                        • Twinsjla@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 6, 2009
                            Recently I have incurred a problem with printing out character sheet in
                            standard but not rich text or state blick. IT won't come up in a window or will
                            it print.

                            To give you a bit more information I also have DMGenie and its character
                            sheet won't print wither.
                            Jeanne & Joanne Acker

                            History is made at night.
                            Character is what you are in the dark.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 6, 2009
                              Which Operating System?
                              What version of Java?
                              What kind of file are you attempting to print? PDF, Html, text?
                              Is your printers drivers up to date and/or installed? (Can you create a
                              test sheet from the printer)?

                              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin