Confused about customizing for region

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2009
      Hi there all you PC Gen gurus.
      I am new to the data files, and am trying to set up some custom ones for a game.
      I am using v.5.15.14, and this is part of the Pathfinder RPG data set. I am trying to set up this situation with languages:

      1. There is no "common" language that everyone knows.
      2. Each race (except humans) automatically gets their racial language plus a set choice bonus languages based on race.
      3. Humans receive no automatic languages, just a set of bonus languages.
      4. Each character must choose a starting region from a long list.
      5. Each region gives one automatic language plus adds to the character's list of bonus languages they can choose.
      6. The region also give a set of Feats that may be taken in place of normal feat selection (including the bonus feat for humans), and they receive another feat at level 1 only for regional feats.
      How can I best implement this. Any hints would be good? Should the region be a template? If so, how do you add automatic and bonus languages to the template.

      I already have added all the languages to the master list of languages.

      Please, any hints is good, or where I can find better documentation on this would be good as well.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2009
        Hi Eric,

        All of these would get better attention from our data gurus hanging out
        on the ListFileHelp Group (See link at bottom of post).

        I haven't used regions personally, so I would point to the documentation
        for guidance. There are three Region Tags; Global Other, Starting Kit
        and Template. I'll list the Global other and Template (All are found
        under the Lst Tag Index)

        *Tag Name:* REGION:x|y|y

        * Variables Used (x):* Number (Number of selections to allow)

        * Variables Used (y):* Text (Region name)

        *What it does:*

        * Allows a choice of the character's region.
        * The first parameter is the number of selections to allow. This
        should always be one.

        *Example:*

        |REGION:1|Region1|Region2|Region3|

        Will allow the choice of Region1, Region2, or Region3 as the character's
        region.

        |REGION:1|Timbuktu|

        The PC is from the "Timbuktu" region.

        In a Template File:

        *Tag Name:* REGION:x

        *Variables Used (x):* Text (Region name)

        *Variables Used (x):* YES (Not case sensitive)

        *What it does:*

        * This sets the name of the region the character is from, the
        default is none.
        * If "YES" is specified it will place the name of the template in
        parenthesis after the race on character sheet output.
        * When modifying a template with the |.MOD| tag, the data included
        in this tag will be overwritten by the new |REGION| tag if one is
        included in the modification.

        *Example:*

        |REGION:Timbuktu|

        Character is from "Timbuktu".

        |<template name>.MOD <tab> REGION:Saskatewan|

        The character is from "Saskatewan".

        ----

        Last 'hint' I'll give before I retire for the evening;

        PREREGION is an acceptable tag if you couple it with an ability to call
        a feat.

        Example:

        Your Bonus Feat Pool we can call "Region Selectable Bonus Feat"

        ABILITYCATEGORY:Region Selectable Bonus Feat <> CATEGORY:Special Ability
        <> TYPE:RegionalBonusFeat <> etc.

        So, that sets up your abilitycategory; then you have abilities for the
        actual feats

        Example:
        Regional Bonus Feat - Dodge <> PREREGION:1,Foo [check syntax as I'm
        only providing a theory example] <> VFEAT:Dodge <> TYPE:RegionalBonusFeat

        Will grant Dodge as a feat if taken, and this ability can only be taken
        if the character is from the Foo region.

        Regional Bonus Feat - Weapon Focus <> PREREGION:1,Bar <> ADD:FEAT|Weapon
        Focus <> TYPE:RegionalBonusFeat

        A more complex addition, Weapon Focus has a choose tag, which requires
        an ADD:FEAT instead of giving it.

        Hope that helps,

        Please direct any further Lst coding questions on to the
        PCGenListFileHelp Yahoo Group.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin