Pie Jesu Domine, Dona Eo Requiem...

  • Grendel T. Troll
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2009
      Today, March 4, marks the first anniversary of the death of Ernest Gary
      Gygax - the founder of modern role-playing games.

      Loved his work, or hated it, GG set the initial standard for our
      favorite hobby. One of the quotations from him that I remember the most
      was:

      "The secret that we should never let the gamemasters know, is that they
      don't need any rules."

      This is something I learned in my early stages of GM'ing. Most good
      GM's learn this. GG was, I believe, a good GM - the way GM's should
      treat "their" games.

      Many newbie RP'ers don't know who GG was. I found, a few years ago in a
      comic shop in Simi Valley, California, many kids who were interested in
      this "3rd Edition D&D" stuff. They didn't know what it was (a few
      wondered what card sets went with it) or where it came from. It was up
      to me, and a few others, to edjamacate them.

      Because of the demise of The Great GM on this day, several RPG companies
      and groups have declared this day, March 4, as GM Day. For all of us
      GM's, this day is for us as well. Many game companies are offering
      promotions on this day. Check out your favorite company and see what
      they are offering.

      I will sign off now from another quotation from the man who gave us the
      pastime that will stay with us for the rest of our lives:

      "I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed
      playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with
      everybody else."

      Grendel T. Troll
      Linux Minion #299419 http://counter.li.org
      Skype Handle: grendelttroll

      BLOGS:
      http://grendelttroll.blogspot.com or http://grendel-t-troll.livejournal.com Take your pick.

      "Nobody remembers what you say, a few will remember what you do, but EVERYBODY remembers how you make them feel..."
      ~ Anonymous