Question regarding D20 Modern and read/write languange and speak language skill

  • dloyer4
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
      D20 Modern makes a distinction between the two skills read/write language and speak language. If I add ranks to speak language, I can choose those extra languages in the Languages tab. However, I can find no place to choose the languages for read/write language. It's conceivable to have a character that can speak a language and not read/write it. In fact the skill description states that if you want to read/write a language you speak, you must take the read/write skill. However, I could see a situation where a character would have the ability to read/write a language they can't speak (some ancient "dead" languages come to mind) Is there a way to specify which languages a character can read/write within PCGen, or do I just need to manually write it in on the character sheet?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009

        Sorry nobody has gotten a reply to you earlier....

        I don't normally play the d20 modern, so bear with me.

        The first option is of course you can write anything on the character
        sheet. But that would seem clunky.
        The problem we have today is that CHOOSE:LANGUAGES can't be used more
        than once in a skill list for some reason (Hard code issue I think). And
        it's not a global tag, it can only be used in the Skill file. So, in
        5.16 at least we can't fix the issue that way.

        However, there is a more complicated third way. Which would normally
        belong on the PCGen Help File Group, but since you've slipped through
        the cracks we can overlook the mis-posting this once ;)

        Okay, the third way is a complex method, we can call it what it is, a
        workaround until the simple solution becomes available.

        You'll need to set up a new ABILITYCATEGORY, let's call it 'Read and
        Write Language'

        Okay, to make this easier on the eyes, I'm going to place each new tag
        on a separate line, this denotes an actual tab to space them apart.

        ABILITYCATEGORY:Read and Write Language
        TYPE:ReadWriteLanguage
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        VISIBLE:QUALIFY
        PLURAL:Read and Write Languages
        EDITPOOL:YES
        EDITABLE:YES
        LOCATION:Class Abilities

        So far so good.

        Next we will need to create an ability list of ALL the languages you
        want to be available to Read and Write Language AbilityCategory.

        Example of list:
        Common
        English
        French
        Orc
        etc.

        Once you've got your list, it's a matter of simply repeating the same
        tags on each line.

        <Language Name>
        TYPE:ReadWriteLanguage
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Read and Write Languages(<Language Name>)

        Example of two abilities:
        English
        TYPE:ReadWriteLanguage
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Read and Write Languages(English)

        Common
        TYPE:ReadWriteLanguage
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Read and Write Languages(Common)

        etc...

        NOTE: The Read and Write Languages() inside the parenthesis are the name
        of the language for that ability, this is KEY to make it work for you.
        Now, I assume you'll want these listed somewhere, so here's a neat trick
        I learned (Which is why we are calling an ability below)

        Create another ability: (This will be how we make it appear on the
        character sheet)

        Read and Write Languages
        VISIBLE:EXPORT
        TYPE:SpecialQuality
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        MULT:YES
        CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

        Now, we need a way to to add points to the AbilityCategory we made, so
        here is another trick:

        In the Skill File, we will .MOD the existing skill

        Read/Write Language.MOD
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Read and Write Language|SKILL.Read and Write
        Languages.RANK

        Okay, now if there aren't any typos, you should have yourself a new
        snazzy List of Languages that will populate whenever you take your read
        write skill.

        Thanks for your patience and again sorry for the response you were
        looking for.

        I do hope this helps.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009