Player's Handbok and Spell Range

  • lachre617
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2009
      I can't seem to find where the PH2 is in the data files... I just
      picked up this program a few days ago and I think it's absolutely
      fantastic, but the sources list is a little confusing since I don't
      really know the materials by publisher. At any rate, like I said, I
      can't seem to figure out where the PH2 is... Is is there and I'm not
      seeing it, or isn't it in there?

      Secondly, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if my disregard for errata
      is catching up to me - I noticed on the character sheet page it seems
      to give the wrong range for Close range spells. I have a level 5
      character, and as far as I know, Close range is 25ft + 5ft/level, so
      the range should be 50ft right? It's showing 30ft. Is there something
      about zero-level spells I don't know or some errata about Close range
      spells having a range limitation (or something I missed in the core
      books)?
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2009
        Hi Lachre,

        PCGen follows the OGL [Open Game License] which means sources released
        by Wizards of the Coast that aren't designated as Open Content cannot be
        included in our distributed sets. However, if you want, making such a
        set for personal use is not that hard. [BTW - RSRD is probably the set
        you're looking to use. RSRD is 3.5e released by Wizards, SRD is the 3.0
        version, and MSRD is the Modern rules.]

        Feel free to load up the different published sets, it's a cool way to
        see what other books you might want to look at getting.

        As to your second issue, the CLOSE range is calculating correctly, it's
        '+5ft per two levels', not every level.

        Anyways, if you want help coding up closed source sets, please join us
        over on the PCGen list file help group. (Link bottom of this post).

        -Andrew

        lachre617 wrote:
        > I can't seem to find where the PH2 is in the data files... I just
        > picked up this program a few days ago and I think it's absolutely
        > fantastic, but the sources list is a little confusing since I don't
        > really know the materials by publisher. At any rate, like I said, I
        > can't seem to figure out where the PH2 is... Is is there and I'm not
        > seeing it, or isn't it in there?
        >
        > Secondly, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if my disregard for errata
        > is catching up to me - I noticed on the character sheet page it seems
        > to give the wrong range for Close range spells. I have a level 5
        > character, and as far as I know, Close range is 25ft + 5ft/level, so
        > the range should be 50ft right? It's showing 30ft. Is there something
        > about zero-level spells I don't know or some errata about Close range
        > spells having a range limitation (or something I missed in the core
        > books)?

      • Brad Stiles
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
          >> Secondly, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if my disregard for errata
          >> is catching up to me - I noticed on the character sheet page it seems
          >> to give the wrong range for Close range spells. I have a level 5
          >> character, and as far as I know, Close range is 25ft + 5ft/level, so
          >> the range should be 50ft right? It's showing 30ft. Is there something

          > As to your second issue, the CLOSE range is calculating correctly, it's
          > '+5ft per two levels', not every level.

          Wouldn't that make the range 35 feet for a 5th level character, rather than 30?

          /bs
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009

            Last time I checked 25 + (3/2)*5 = 30 (ignoring the decimals from the 3/2
            op).

            Barak
          • Brandon
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
              5th level caster would be (5/2), not (3/2)

              On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Barak <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

              Are you mentally broke? Then quit giving your two cents when they only give
              you a penny for your thoughts.

              Support my brother!
              http://www.justiceformichael.com

            • ovka
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:
                >>> As to your second issue, the CLOSE range is calculating correctly,
                >>it's
                >>> '+5ft per two levels', not every level.
                >>
                >>Wouldn't that make the range 35 feet for a 5th level character, rather
                >>than 30?
                >
                >Last time I checked 25 + (3/2)*5 = 30 (ignoring the decimals from the
                >3/2
                >op).

                Shouldn't that be 25 + (5/2) * 5 = 35?
              • Brad Stiles
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009

                  The OP said fifth level character, so I assumed all five levels were
                  caster levels. Spell effects are generally based on caster level, not
                  spell level, unless they specifically say so. That would make it 35,
                  would it not?

                  /bs
                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                    Gah. Misread... thought he said third level. Move along, nothing to see
                    here. :p

                    Barak

                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009

                      Yep, it would. :p

                      I should not post before being caffeinated in the morning.

                      Barak
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                        Okay, so a bug. Is anyone else able to duplicate this?

                        Lachre - Which version are you using so we can determine whether this a
                        fixed bug or something new?

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin